Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpaca Lining for Waterfront Jacket

clayman03

New in Town
I’m thinking about getting a Waterfront wool jacket from Aero leathers. The shell is an 18oz mackinaw-like wool. There are two lining options (alpaca and cotton twill). I live in Southern Indiana not far from Louisville. I’m afraid the alpaca liner would be too warm for fall when it’ll get down to the 40s or 30s at night, but up into the 60s during day. Is alpaca too warm?
E010F6FE-18AD-43C3-878D-253F65FE06D2.png

cbez

One Too Many
in my experience anything over 65 or so I need a light lining. everyone is different though.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Aero alpaca is a heavy blanket type fabric, and isn't the most comfortable with just a thin shirt as you will feel the fibers poking on the skin. This is coming from someone who sleeps in wool blankets. It only works in terms of comfort when there is a barrier sheet in between.
If you want warmth, navy sateen quilted liner will offer much more comfort and possibly just as warm or warmer when fully zipped up. You can ask Aero to see if they can accommodate the custom request. I have seen Aero varsity jackets lined in their quilted liner, and its a very similar pattern to the Waterfront jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
I’m thinking about getting a Waterfront wool jacket from Aero leathers. The shell is an 18oz mackinaw-like wool. There are two lining options (alpaca and cotton twill). I live in Southern Indiana not far from Louisville. I’m afraid the alpaca liner would be too warm for fall when it’ll get down to the 40s or 30s at night, but up into the 60s during day. Is alpaca too warm? View attachment 630442

Where did you find out the jacket has an 18 oz. shell? I didn't see it on the website.

Peacoat

Bartender
I was emailing a rep. He put it in the 18oz range.
The original mackinaws were 28 oz., a good heavy shell. The current "mackinaws" are 24 oz. They are lightweight, sorta like a heavy shirt. Not much warmth, and the wind cuts right through them.

I doubt an 18 oz. shell would give much warmth at all. Maybe that's why Aero offers the alpaca lining.

clayman03

New in Town
Yeah that would make more sense. I use to have a Pendleton mackinaw cruiser and it wasn’t very warm due to lack of wind resistance. Poor wind resistance is why I traditionally preferred duck jackets . So you don’t think the jacket is very warm?

Peacoat

Bartender
If it is 18 oz. it won't be warm at all. But I really question whether that is accurate. I'm thinking it is like most "mackinaws" today and comes in at 24 oz. which is weak compared to the originals.

I was fortunate to find a like new 28 oz. mackinaw on eBay a few years ago. It isn't nearly as wind resistant as a vintage peacoat which is a 30 or 32 oz shell. Don't remember which, but that is a really thick shell which isn't really appropriate for what one uses a mackinaw for.

My 24 oz. "mackinaw" isn't a warm jacket, so anything below that won't be warm either.

An 18 oz shell would be like a heavy wool shirt. You might want to check back with Aero and see if this is correct.

clayman03

New in Town
If it is 18 oz. it won't be warm at all. But I really question whether that is accurate. I'm thinking it is like most "mackinaws" today and comes in at 24 oz. which is weak compared to the originals.

I was fortunate to find a like new 28 oz. mackinaw on eBay a few years ago. It isn't nearly as wind resistant as a vintage peacoat which is a 30 or 32 oz shell. Don't remember which, but that is a really thick shell which isn't really appropriate for what one uses a mackinaw for.

My 24 oz. "mackinaw" isn't a warm jacket, so anything below that won't be warm either.

An 18 oz shell would be like a heavy wool shirt. You might want to check back with Aero and see if this is correct.
Noted, what I really want is probably a leather jacket. I don’t really have the budget to buy one though responsibly. I may buy a b-10 or b-15 though since I only one jacket. That is a wool lined canvas barn coat. A little long and cumbersome for driving everyday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads