Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alley Kat Hat Co

EstherWeis

Vendor
Great post Cindy. Your 100% correct and there is so much talent between us. Bottom line we all bring something unique to the table and we all have a style per say. Mike Gannon has a very nice style. I like what he does to his crowns to achieve his look! Mike if you read this, I tip my hat to you and say keep up the fine craftsmanship. To Esther....she amazes me. She is very talented. I admire how she works and her passions are evident. Keep a keen eye on her because I just sent her a 300 yard gift of woven edge 40s 50s ribbon, along with that a challenge that will wake the eye of the vintage looker. In not saying anymore there.....she is going to blow some minds and when it happens i believe it could be a turning point for her only in the sense, where she opens another door to possible new client base as a result of my challenge to her. I like that she encourages me through kind words and liking my work. Moon commented the other day....he saw us communicating he applauded that. In Art school, back in the 80s we all encouraged each other. Why not, it helps you grow. We all pushed each other very hard to better ourself. That behavior here is a great thing. Respect for each other and not being reluctant to express a like on a well made hat speaks volumes .

I recently had a few positive things happen in my life. I think loosing my job at 52 and getting the rug yanked out from under me was a blessing. And in hindsight all I did want to do was walk my pops footsteps. I feel blessed to have learned manual machinist work. I could feel my pop. there with me every day. I honestly struggled with that as I never lost a job. But I've learned from this and I let it bother me for the better part of a month until my girlfriend was watching me work one day and she said i think you should just make your hats, we will be fine. Thanks Gabe Long. You moved me in more than one way. Thank you. To PreacherMan.....you touched my heart and put faith back in my life. You stayed after me for 4 years and gave me the tools to get through a living hell. TomS a text every night to make sure I was ok. The list goes on....people knew I was needing support in the form of caring. There is a lot of that here.
Now as to the name of this fine looking Black Cherry......and it needs a name....Cindy the word darkness I respect but.....sort of devilish....but in saying that you've given me a potential name.....I need help. I never really cared much for Prince the artist....but that was a teenager who listened to Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who...... And from what I can remember the Dead 50 times over. Who was Prince? Well as I grew I realized he really was a good guitarist. And I saw a very young picture of him recently with a very old Gibson Arch Top.
Could a name be Purple Rain possibly....ill take some help here. Suggestions based on this??
I want to express my most sincere thanks for everyone her on this forum who supports Mike , Esther and myself.
You all have a great day.....1mach1 is waiting.....

That is one of the kindest things I've ever heard.
Yes, one should support each other. It is a small market and we will all be better off helping and encouraging each other.
I learn a new thing every day, so why not share.
With communication also comes respect. And I highly respect my fellow hatters.
I'm still new to the men's hatting and Tim has been so friendly to reach out and set a nice challenge for me and hopefully I will pull it off. Thank you for that Tim!
Kindness is a beautiful thing, and this is a great way to all share that.

I hear you, I've been told I glow when I'm making or talking about hats.
Passion is a beautiful thing, and the result is ever more beautiful. The fact that hat get's worn and is well lived is only the icing on the cake.

Keep up the good work Tim, that hat is looking very nice!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Great post Cindy. Your 100% correct and there is so much talent between us. Bottom line we all bring something unique to the table and we all have a style per say. Mike Gannon has a very nice style. I like what he does to his crowns to achieve his look! Mike if you read this, I tip my hat to you and say keep up the fine craftsmanship. To Esther....she amazes me. She is very talented. I admire how she works and her passions are evident. Keep a keen eye on her because I just sent her a 300 yard gift of woven edge 40s 50s ribbon, along with that a challenge that will wake the eye of the vintage looker. In not saying anymore there.....she is going to blow some minds and when it happens i believe it could be a turning point for her only in the sense, where she opens another door to possible new client base as a result of my challenge to her. I like that she encourages me through kind words and liking my work. Moon commented the other day....he saw us communicating he applauded that. In Art school, back in the 80s we all encouraged each other. Why not, it helps you grow. We all pushed each other very hard to better ourself. That behavior here is a great thing. Respect for each other and not being reluctant to express a like on a well made hat speaks volumes .

I recently had a few positive things happen in my life. I think loosing my job at 52 and getting the rug yanked out from under me was a blessing. And in hindsight all I did want to do was walk my pops footsteps. I feel blessed to have learned manual machinist work. I could feel my pop. there with me every day. I honestly struggled with that as I never lost a job. But I've learned from this and I let it bother me for the better part of a month until my girlfriend was watching me work one day and she said i think you should just make your hats, we will be fine. Thanks Gabe Long. You moved me in more than one way. Thank you. To PreacherMan.....you touched my heart and put faith back in my life. You stayed after me for 4 years and gave me the tools to get through a living hell. TomS a text every night to make sure I was ok. The list goes on....people knew I was needing support in the form of caring. There is a lot of that here.
Now as to the name of this fine looking Black Cherry......and it needs a name....Cindy the word darkness I respect but.....sort of devilish....but in saying that you've given me a potential name.....I need help. I never really cared much for Prince the artist....but that was a teenager who listened to Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who...... And from what I can remember the Dead 50 times over. Who was Prince? Well as I grew I realized he really was a good guitarist. And I saw a very young picture of him recently with a very old Gibson Arch Top.
Could a name be Purple Rain possibly....ill take some help here. Suggestions based on this??
I want to express my most sincere thanks for everyone her on this forum who supports Mike , Esther and myself.
You all have a great day.....1mach1 is waiting.....

^^^^ this right here is everything

@Gannon Hat Company

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
That is one of the kindest things I've ever heard.
Yes, one should support each other. It is a small market and we will all be better off helping and encouraging each other.
I learn a new thing every day, so why not share.
With communication also comes respect. And I highly respect my fellow hatters.
I'm still new to the men's hatting and Tim has been so friendly to reach out and set a nice challenge for me and hopefully I will pull it off. Thank you for that Tim!
Kindness is a beautiful thing, and this is a great way to all share that.

I hear you, I've been told I glow when I'm making or talking about hats.
Passion is a beautiful thing, and the result is ever more beautiful. The fact that hat get's worn and is well lived is only the icing on the cake.

Keep up the good work Tim, that hat is looking very nice!

Esther, you are an Angel, and do some mighty fine work on the hats you make.

Tim, I want to chime in and thank you. Your recent assistance helping me with sweat bands was illuminating and exhibited your generosity to a guy who just likes puttering about with his hats. I'll never be a true hatter, but the insight and patient advice you gave me was invaluable.

And appreciated.

A suggestion on the hat (as I'm a Deep Purple fan) - It could be called the Highway Star? Speed King? Black Night? The Purpendicular Hat? Rat Bat Hat?

OK, I'll Hush, now.

It was my pleasure to help you. And you did it ! See, that box I sent you as a gift, it just returned to me in a new way. Thank you!

ariahokas

Familiar Face
Hey all, just thought I'd post something.

Since I'm waiting on my Gannon and saving up for an Alley Kat, I decided to try my hand at hatmaking. Been in love with hats since I was 18. Long story short, I've been buying materials and tools over the past few months to get ready to make a hat—it's then that I started talking to Tim(Alley Kat).

I decided to refurbish an old Dobbs I had that was dirty and quite musty. I told Tim what I going to do, and he jumped at the chance to help. Honestly I can't believe how helpful and generous he's been. He's literally walked me through cleaning it (naphtha), soaking, blocking, pouncing, cutting the sweat, sewing the sweat—it's been insane. Even with pictures through Instagram almost every step of the way.

I've recorded almost every step of the way and will be posting it on YouTube soon. I will throw a link in here and start a thread. So far the hat looks great thanks to TIm!

/Ari

It was my pleasure to help you. And you did it ! See, that box I sent you as a gift, it just returned to me in a new way. Thank you!

Hakuna Matata...

Since I'm waiting on my Gannon and saving up for an Alley Kat, I decided to try my hand at hatmaking. Been in love with hats since I was 18. Long story short, I've been buying materials and tools over the past few months to get ready to make a hat—it's then that I started talking to Tim(Alley Kat).

I decided to refurbish an old Dobbs I had that was dirty and quite musty. I told Tim what I going to do, and he jumped at the chance to help. Honestly I can't believe how helpful and generous he's been. He's literally walked me through cleaning it (naphtha), soaking, blocking, pouncing, cutting the sweat, sewing the sweat—it's been insane. Even with pictures through Instagram almost every step of the way.

I've recorded almost every step of the way and will be posting it on YouTube soon. I will throw a link in here and start a thread. So far the hat looks great thanks to TIm!

/Ari

The Lounge is full of generous souls. Tim is one of the great ones.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family

/Ari

Ari, that is fantastic. I think we would all love to see some pictures soon and YouTube will be great. Tim is awesome with helping. With his help I just refurbished the one block that I currently own and hope to be blocking out a hat this weekend. I have some experience using all the cool hatter tools at JW Hats but this will be doing the entire hat out of my house by hand with only hand tools. Even though Tim and I live on opposite sides of the US we will be making it happen. Will be a few weeks for pictures as I will allow for a long drying process.

As for tools, you will keep buying them forever. I have been buying for 18 months. In September I will be picking up 24 brand new blocks, 12 in style 221 straight sided with 6 inch crown and 12 in style 51 straight sided with 5.5 inch crown but I am paying a small fortune. :)

Kevin.....Ari....just taking a late lunch here...

I appreciate those mentions. Honestly, I feel really lucky to help you both. Ari....I'm helping an obvious gentleman, you kindly asked and then brought a serious attitude to the table. You worked with the BARE MINIMUM. And you did it!! There is a lesson there in that obvious situation. You saw it can work. My assistance likely took about 20 months of mistakes and frustration out of the equation and money.
You are in Sweden , but if you were living down the block, I'd do the same. However what I find very unique for me is that I just made a friend in Sweden and helped him; and by doing so, I think I gained some respect. In such a way, that if I bit the dust today; you'd remember Tim. I hope you make hats there Ari. What I said to myself years back, I like to do things I can put my name to. This is yet another outlet for what drives me to be me. I like knowing I have a functional item that will be out there long after Im gone from this world. So why not lump knowledge into this.

Kevin.......you are a threat to me!! But I love it brother!! You start getting busy you just refer people to me my friend so I can take up the slack. Its a shame people want money to tell you something....and I think it simply sucks when people clam up!

That said brother. ...we do some long distant tutoring. You bring it to the table too. Make hats remember I helped you and send a kudos my way when you can. And a referral if you get swamped.

To everyone here....I love and respect you all because you've all been great for me in more than one way. Back to work Kool Kat out.

I appreciate those mentions. Honestly, I feel really lucky to help you both. Ari....I'm helping an obvious gentleman, you kindly asked and then brought a serious attitude to the table. You worked with the BARE MINIMUM. And you did it!! There is a lesson there in that obvious situation. You saw it can work. My assistance likely took about 20 months of mistakes and frustration out of the equation and money.
You are in Sweden , but if you were living down the block, I'd do the same. However what I find very unique for me is that I just made a friend in Sweden and helped him; and by doing so, I think I gained some respect. In such a way, that if I bit the dust today; you'd remember Tim. I hope you make hats there Ari. What I said to myself years back, I like to do things I can put my name to. This is yet another outlet for what drives me to be me. I like knowing I have a functional item that will be out there long after Im gone from this world. So why not lump knowledge into this.

Kevin.......you are a threat to me!! But I love it brother!! You start getting busy you just refer people to me my friend so I can take up the slack. Its a shame people want money to tell you something....and I think it simply sucks when people clam up!

That said brother. ...we do some long distant tutoring. You bring it to the table too. Make hats remember I helped you and send a kudos my way when you can. And a referral if you get swamped.

To everyone here....I love and respect you all because you've all been great for me in more than one way. Back to work Kool Kat out.
You are truly and artist and a gentleman. I am so glad to see a hatter reveal his secrets, and not hold back. That is so very helpful. Not everyone builds hats the same way, I'm sure, but its nice to see you sharing your methods. Thanks Tim!

You are truly and artist and a gentleman. I am so glad to see a hatter reveal his secrets, and not hold back. That is so very helpful. Not everyone builds hats the same way, I'm sure, but its nice to see you sharing your methods. Thanks Tim!

Progress continues....

99bd5ba0ebed0d46c838ab6c629a7cf0.jpg

That's for sure Harv. All sorts of ways for sure. Sometimes just a shove in the right direction helps one get it. Its up to them to apply it. To install a sweatband and drum a sweat and hit it first try....felt darn good to hear him say hey man I think I got this...that locking stitch isn't easy to learn. And I got to say.....Ari made that cut with a bone handle knife. He said it was razor sharp. He didn't have a razor blade....just a good straight edge and a darned good fixed blade knife.

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
...that locking stitch isn't easy to learn...
Tim, I have been looking into leathercraft recently as I am hoping to do custom hatbands in leather. Something that we might be able to take from leathercraft and apply to brim binding is using two needles on a single piece of thread (saddle stitch), so one needle at each end. I bought an old Al Stolhman book on hand sewing leather. This is just a thought and maybe it won't work in this application but it would be interesting to try. This is a youtube video that demonstrates it:

Jump to 3:05 in the video to get to the two needle method.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Tim, I have been looking into leathercraft recently as I am hoping to do custom hatbands in leather. Something that we might be able to take from leathercraft and apply to brim binding is using two needles on a single piece of thread (saddle stitch), so one needle at each end. I bought an old Al Stolhman book on hand sewing leather. This is just a thought and maybe it won't work in this application but it would be interesting to try. This is a youtube video that demonstrates it:

Jump to 3:05 in the video to get to the two needle method.

I resole shoes using this same method. It is time consuming but the only choice when replacing soles on vintage shoes without using a machine. It can be a real "pain" when not careful with those damned needles! Haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe