Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Suggestions.

I've just conducted a basic search on Ebay, putting in the search title

Irvin* jacket (the * is important, as some folk just cannot spell it!).

I cannot give you a direct link on this forum, but just go have a look.

There's currently a few ones on there that would fit a 38-40". Just keep looking from time-to-time and the right one will come along ;) Bear in mind that you 'will' want room for a jumper as well in the winter, for that proper RAF look!

Welcome to the Forum.

royal123

New in Town
1940s Irvin jacket

PADDY said:
I've just conducted a basic search on Ebay, putting in the search title

Irvin* jacket (the * is important, as some folk just cannot spell it!).

I cannot give you a direct link on this forum, but just go have a look.

There's currently a few ones on there that would fit a 38-40". Just keep looking from time-to-time and the right one will come along ;) Bear in mind that you 'will' want room for a jumper as well in the winter, for that proper RAF look!

Welcome to the Forum.
PADDY.
Thanks for the info,especially about the jumper in the winter,didnt think about that,so i suppose a 40" will fit me.

royal123

New in Town
Irvin jacket

I have been on ebay,and there are 2 Irvin styled jackets by a chap called,
"Volante 1967",both priced at £260s.
Wondering if these jackets are worth the money,perhaps you chaps can help me out with this question please?
They will fit me,but as im new to these jackets,i dont know what is worth it,and what isnt.I know they aren't originals.
I like both the styles.
Thanks.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pass on those for now (ADVICE)

Also, as you'll see from the thread 'title' it's originals in here (there's another thread for repros). Those are replicas, either by Cockpit or Aviation Leathercraft (strange no labels though for newish jackets[huh] ).
Have a read through 'here' and if you want a repro/replica then read through the replica thread on Irvins, to help you make an informed decision.

The Duke of Wellington once quipped, "Time spent on reconnaisance is seldom wasted!" so do the homework and you will be repaid 100 fold!! ;) and ALL the info you'll need is in here!!

But those two are repros (and not the best stitch-for-stitch repros, if that's what you're after), but they are NOT originals. And if you are after a size 38-40, then you could pick up a wearable original for that sort of wonga/cash! It's not a sprint my friend, it's a marathon, so enjoy the chase!

And if you want an ORIGINAL, then stay in this thread.

royal123

New in Town
Irvin jacket

PADDY said:
Also, as you'll see from the thread 'title' it's originals in here (there's another thread for repros). Those are replicas, either by Cockpit or Aviation Leathercraft (strange no labels though for newish jackets[huh] ).
Have a read through 'here' and if you want a repro/replica then read through the replica thread on Irvins, to help you make an informed decision.

The Duke of Wellington once quipped, "Time spent on reconnaisance is seldom wasted!" so do the homework and you will be repaid 100 fold!! ;) and ALL the info you'll need is in here!!

But those two are repros (and not the best stitch-for-stitch repros, if that's what you're after), but they are NOT originals. And if you are after a size 38-40, then you could pick up a wearable original for that sort of wonga/cash! It's not a sprint my friend, it's a marathon, so enjoy the chase!

And if you want an ORIGINAL, then stay in this thread.
PADDY.
Thanks,yes i agree with you,about its not a sprint,thats why i came back on here,to get some more info on them which you have given me.
I am after some decent repros,with good stitching,as i dont want them falling apart,so i'll pass on them 2.
I will check the other repros thread.
Thanks.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire

I flew in a Spitfire MK9 dual cockpit in 2007 in Denver USA.
Was that Bill Greenwood's Spitfire? You are lucky, all I got to do is sit in the front cockpit when he first got it in the 80s! He bought it ridiculously cheep, like he said, he wishes he had several to sell.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
royal123 said:
PADDY.
Thanks,yes i agree with you,about its not a sprint,thats why i came back on here,to get some more info on them which you have given me.
I am after some decent repros,with good stitching,as i dont want them falling apart,so i'll pass on them 2.
I will check the other repros thread.
Thanks.

Royal123 - If you are looking for the perfect Repro Irvin - look for Eastman or Aero, Scotland.
You can read a lot about both companies - and see a lot of jackets - in the Irvin Repro Thread.
Start here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37166

royal123

New in Town
Stearmen said:
I flew in a Spitfire MK9 dual cockpit in 2007 in Denver USA.
Was that Bill Greenwood's Spitfire? You are lucky, all I got to do is sit in the front cockpit when he first got it in the 80s! He bought it ridiculously cheep, like he said, he wishes he had several to sell.
Stearmen
Yes,it was Bill Greenwood's spitfire.
At least you sat in the cockpit,thousands of people would love to do that,but cannot do it.
Here is a photo of us going to do a low pass over the airport.
Copyof1stspitsz8.jpg

Thats me in the back.

royal123

New in Town
Spitfire said:
Royal123 - If you are looking for the perfect Repro Irvin - look for Eastman or Aero, Scotland.
You can read a lot about both companies - and see a lot of jackets - in the Irvin Repro Thread.
Start here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37166
Spitfire.
Thanks for the info,i have looked at yours,pity really,as its to big for me.
My chest size with shirt on is 38",so maybe i need a 40" jacket,not sure really.
Those Eastmans jackets 1940 style are costing £500 odd pounds,lot of money,so i will have to keep my eyes open on here for one.

rikbb

Familiar Face
WPG on ebay

there is a 42 irvin repro on ebay
item number 32********

ADMIN NOTICE: No postings of LIVE Ebay Auctions, other than your own please in Classifieds -Thanks Gentlemen.

royal123

New in Town
irvin jacket

rikbb said:
item number 320448808896[/QUOTE
rikbb.
Yes,i talk to the bloke on the BOB website who is selling it.
I would have bought it,but i need a 40" size.
I've been talking to "Aero" about buying one of their 1940 RAF jackets,i'm in 2 minds which one to pick.
My heart says the pre war one which is just 2 panelled,(which the RAF pilots wore in the BOB)but my head says the 4 panelled jacket looks better.
The price isn't much difference.
Anyway,the chap says he is going to send me some sheepskin samples,and they will make the jacket to my size.
The price just over the £400 mark,but will take around 8 weeks.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
royal123 said:
rikbb said:
item number 320448808896[/QUOTE
rikbb.
Yes,i talk to the bloke on the BOB website who is selling it.
I would have bought it,but i need a 40" size.
I've been talking to "Aero" about buying one of their 1940 RAF jackets,i'm in 2 minds which one to pick.
My heart says the pre war one which is just 2 panelled,(which the RAF pilots wore in the BOB)but my head says the 4 panelled jacket looks better.
The price isn't much difference.
Anyway,the chap says he is going to send me some sheepskin samples,and they will make the jacket to my size.
The price just over the £400 mark,but will take around 8 weeks.

Follow your heart!:)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire

At least you sat in the cockpit,thousands of people would love to do that,but cannot do it.
Yes I try to remember that there are probably millions of people around the world who would give any thing for just one of my adventures in WWII aircraft! Every time I get down because I am not flying right now, I think of that and how lucky I was to sit in and fly primary pilot and copilot, let alone some great rides in these great warbirds in the 80s and 90s. and lets not forget some of the great people I got tho meet. Still, I sat in five P-51s and never manged to get a ride! The last one was the late Art Vance's Million Dollar Baby, we were all set and the weather closed in! Oh well, makes for a good laugh. Well back to the Irvins, whish I could wear one, but I seem to run hot these days.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
royal123 said:
Spitfire said:
Spitfire.
Yes,thats what im trying to do,i understand what you are saying,but her indoors(The wife) keeps telling me the 4 panelled ones looks better.
I guess i'm not going to get any sleep tonight:)

Can not PM you - yet.
But have you seen the original pre-war Irvin on e-bay?
( )
(ADMIN NOTICE - Described as multi panel, but looks like a 2 panel early war 42" - Nice!)

Looks like a beauty in the right size

royal123

New in Town
irvin jacket

Spitfire said:
royal123 said:
Can not PM you - yet.
( )
(ADMIN NOTICE - Described as multi panel, but looks like a 2 panel early war 42" - Nice!)

Spitfire
I'm wondering why you can't PM,is it a forum thing,like i have to have so many posts?
I dont think a 42" would fit me,as im 38" chest,with shirt on,but there again,i haven't any experience of the Irvin jackets to what size i would need for my 38" chest.
Thanks for the interest.

royal123

New in Town
Irvin jacket

Stearmen said:
Yes I try to remember that there are probably millions of people around the world who would give any thing for just one of my adventures in WWII aircraft! Every time I get down because I am not flying right now, I think of that and how lucky I was to sit in and fly primary pilot and copilot, let alone some great rides in these great warbirds in the 80s and 90s. and lets not forget some of the great people I got tho meet. Still, I sat in five P-51s and never manged to get a ride! The last one was the late Art Vance's Million Dollar Baby, we were all set and the weather closed in! Oh well, makes for a good laugh. Well back to the Irvins, whish I could wear one, but I seem to run hot these days.
Stearmen.
I did put the wrong word in "thousands",it should have been millions.
Reading what you have done over the yrs.with the WW11 aircraft,people would have given an arm and a leg for to have done that,something to treasure for the rest of your life,amazing.
The site below is of the vidoe low pass we did over the airport,and video of us taking off.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&user=r1o2y3a4l5

royal123

New in Town
irvin jacket

Spitfire said:
royal123 said:
Can not PM you - yet.
( )

Have looked at the original Irvin on ebay,but the chap selling it,says the inside label is missing,which i dont understand.
Is the label stitched onto the inside of an original Irvin?
Would it go missing without making a mark on the sheepskin?
Not knowing much about the label and how it is fixed,perhaps you chaps can help me out here?

Amnesia

New in Town
Hi all

I'm brand new here and used the website to find out about original Irvins before purchasing one. (To go with a moggy 1000 convertable I am still to find). Thanks for all your help. Recently bought a 1939 two panel (B24386/39 CIB Size 40 on label along with crown and A.M). It's currently going through Pecard process (again from this site). Internally brilliant with perfect stitching and zips. External surface has cracking and wear but a brilliant colour. Just a word of warning. I bought mine at reputable auction house. It had several bids over £800 and one of £950. There is auction commission on top of that!! It appears they may have been a good investment for you guys that got them early. Recession???? I'll post images as soon as the Pecards has finished it's job.
Amnesia

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Royal.

Most of the time, the labels on 60+ year old jackets are missing by now. Not a major issue. They are lightly tacked onto the sheepskin and you'll not find any mark or discolouration to show any existance of it ever being there. But there are plenty of other tell tale signs as to the origins of a sheepskin flying jacket (just read through the posts and you'll see).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe