Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney

Stoney

Practically Family
No Wind Trolly...

Hey, of you don't want it, I'll give you a few bucks for it if you cut it off where the cord enters the hat. I can always use another one. PM me if you're interested.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You could always make something similar to what they gave me with a Stetson years & years ago. Two binder clips with about a foot of stout cord tied between them - clip one to the brim of the hat, one to your collar - voila. Never used it myself.

Spellflower

Practically Family
The wind trolley will keep your hat from flying down the street, but it won't keep it on your head. That's why I'm planning on adding a short cord- so that I can confidently step out on a windy day. Sure, it might not look as stylish, but it'll look better than walking around with one hand on my head and a worried look on my face!

Achille

Familiar Face
Joel Tunnah said:
This came in today. It's a really great hat, but probably won't please the reverse-taper crowd. 2.5" brim, open crown is under 5 1/2". The color is Regency Fawn, which is like an amazing brownish mouse gray.
The sweatband is thin, but really nice leather - very supple. The felt is soft in the crown, but the brim needs a dunking in the tub methinks.
/QUOTE]

Hello Everybody,
As it is my first message here I would say thanks a lot for this forum of experts which is a real pleasure.
Even if I live in Paris it's pretty rare in France to find people wearing classic hats and serious sellers are almost .............impossible to find:( .

It's why I would like to buy online.
I would like to order an Akubra (Sydney) to Hatsdirect, but I need some advise concerning the size. Thanks a lot, Joel, for the pictures.

I have a Guerra in 61cm, a Borsalino in 60cm but after having measured my head my "real" size seems to be 59 1/2.

I think I will order a 60cm ( 7 5/8).
If some of you can say me if Akubra size chart is really close to the reality it could be a great help.

Thanks again

Achille

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Achille said:
I think I will order a 60cm ( 7 5/8).
If some of you can say me if Akubra size chart is really close to the reality it could be a great help.

7 5/8 is more then likely a 61cm. I'm a 7 5/8, I ordered a 60cm and had to send it back due to it being too small. It must have been the tape measure because I consistently got 60.2cm to 60.4cm, but with English side I got 24 to 24 1/4. Anyhow, hatsdirect.com is sending out the 61, and the 60 is on it's way back to Australia. Measure and re-measure your head. Make sure to give the tape a little slack, as you don't want the hat as tight as you can pull that tape measure. Your mileage may vary...

From what I saw, the hat is really nice. I can't wait to get the right size!!

Davidson

One of the Regulars
7 1/2 is country-specific

According to hatsize.com, 60 cm is 7 1/2 in the US. This also matches the other online references I have seen.

It also says 60 cm is 7 3/8 in English sizes and 6 1/2 in French sizes.

7 1/2 is 60 cm in US sizes, 61 cm in British sizes and 62 cm in French sizes.

I haven't heard of Akubra hats running small, so going by the metric measurement is probably a good way to go.

MattJH

One Too Many
Achille said:

As best as I can tell, my head size is a 7 5/8 Long Oval. I currently own four Akubras - A Traveler (brown), two Casuals (brown and gray), and a Federation (gray).

The Traveler and the Casuals are from their pliofelt-based Lifestyle collection; they're packable fur felt, so they have elastic sweatbands. They fit just fine at 61cm. Slightly tight, but they stretch the more you wear them and they're beginning to conform to my Long Oval head size now.

The Federation model typically runs large, but the 61cm fit me perfectly, although still adjusting to this day to my Long Oval head. Basically, there's a slight bit of room on the sides, the back is buffered by my hair, but it's tight enough against my forehead that it leaves a red mark. I'm noticing, though, that the more I wear it, the more the hat is remembering the shape of my head.

The Akubra Sydney is my next hat, and I'm going to get it in a size 62cm as a test to see if it fits better going one size larger.

Hope this helps.

Spellflower

Practically Family
My Federation and my Sydney/Fedora are both 59. The Federation feels larger around the sweatband, but then, I only wore it for a month or two, and I've worn the Sydney/Fedora everyday since I got it in September, so it's likely though both hats started out the same, constant use has accelerated the Sydney/Fedora's natural shrinkage.

something else to consider: I noticed when trying on Stetson Chathams (before discovering the Lounge;) ) that both the 7 1/4 and the 7 3/8 fit my head, but the latter looked bigger, whereas the former came off more like a stingy brim. Perhaps this is because the larger hat came down lower, and thus was bigger compared to the rest of my face, and thus appeared bigger. Or maybe I was kidding myself. Anyway, just something to think about: just as you might be able to fit in two adjacent sizes of the same shirt, one might be a bit, ahem, more flattering to your physique than the other, and the same could be true of hats. Unfortunately, most of the (still moderate) price of an Akubra is the shipping, and that makes it difficult to experiment.

I think the best solution is to measure carefully, and go with the larger size if you have any doubts, especially with this particular model, as it's a much smaller hat than the Federation. If you ask Hatsdirect, they will throw in some sticky backed foam which you can insert under the hat band to reduce the size a bit, at least until it shrinks down to your head shape.

Achille

Familiar Face
Thanks a lot for all your nice advises.
I've sent my order today and hope the size will be ok.

Achille

silvereed

Familiar Face
Akubra Sydney...Me too

Just purchased a Akubra Sydney, arrived today. I love it, soft and it fits like a glove. Purchased from David Morgan, excellent service and fast shipping. Highly recommended. It would look even better with a larger ribbon. And different colors would be nice.

Bebop

Practically Family
Sydney in beaver

I like my Sydney so much that I ordered a brown one to compliment my gray and now I am seriously considering having a custom hat made of 100% beaver with the same measurments of my Sydney. The brim width and the crown height is just perfect for my face. Everything else I wear looks odd on me. I wonder if Adventurebilt would do a beaver in a Sydney pattern? I am going to need to do a room addition in order to keep up with this never ending hat thing. :rolleyes: ;)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I know this thread is nearly five years old, but that's what concerns me. I love the look of the Akubra Sydney/Fedora, as shown by thread starter Joel up top. But the advice I read here, and answers I've had from Jenny and Deb at HatsDirect, seem to indicate the Sydney/Fedora is more tapered than the one shown here. So has the hat changed since 2007?

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I know this thread is nearly five years old, but that's what concerns me. I love the look of the Akubra Sydney/Fedora, as shown by thread starter Joel up top. But the advice I read here, and answers I've had from Jenny and Deb at HatsDirect, seem to indicate the Sydney/Fedora is more tapered than the one shown here. So has the hat changed since 2007?

I bought a Sydney in Regency Fawn from David Morgan last year and it looks very similar to the pics earlier in this thread. I doubt the hat is much different but don't really know for sure. Definitely has taper so the stovepipe look is a no-go. Nice hat, though - I wear it frequently.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

I can't speak for what the Sydney was in 2007, but my DM Sydney I got in 2010 has almost the identical amount of taper as my two Stylemasters I have. It's crown is taller by about 3/8" and it looks a bit taller with the centerdent/front pinched crease I have in it than the factory creased C-Crown style in the Stylemasters , The ribbons are identical and the flange and snap on the brims are identical as well as they both have a 2 1/2" wide brim all around. Of course the Sydney is a plain cut brim, Stylemaster's a bound brim. Same wieght and feel to the Imperial grade felt ( lighter and slightly softer than my Squatters), sweats are the same as are the liners. ( Both are DM sold Akubra's) . Myself, I would say they could be the same hat, just one with a slightly taller crown and cut brim. I like BOTH :)

davidd

New in Town
I'm not sure what the tolerance level is at the Fedora Lounge for necro-ing old topics, but I guess I'll find out! Anyway, I just received an Akubra Fedora I purchased via online auction (you know where). The hat was listed as a Stylemaster, but when it arrived I noticed the sweatband was marked "Fedora." My initial research indicated the hat was probably a Sydney, based on the raw edge and the one-inch ribbon. Then I found this topic and learned that the Sydney and the Fedora are essentially one and the same.

I'm pleased to learn that this hat was originally marketed as a "pre-war style" fedora. That explains the vintage reporter-photographer-gangster vibe I immediately picked up from it. And reading that the legendary Michaelson was an "early adopter" of the Fedora/Sydney style adds even more to the excitement... or the prestige... or... something.

This is a sharp-looking little lid, and I was pleased to find so much interesting information about it in this topic! I'm feeling quite lucky at this point for finding one at a great price!

And as for necro-ing this topic, well, it just goes to show that the information here at the Fedora Lounge is timeless! ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1