Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra sizes: true to the numbers?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So the consensus is to order your true size with an Akubra, rather than take their advice of going a size up? And does this apply to the Squatter, consensus-wise? I am not an in-between size, but intend to put it into rain use.

I'm a true 24"/61/7 5/8 Long Oval. I've bought new Akubras all size 61 with no issues. I have or had Squatters, Cattleman, Snowy River, Campdrafts, Riverina, Kiandra, Federation IV's, Banjo Paterson, & Zephyr. Being Long Oval, they all form to my noggin shape with normal wear & have no trouble with rain. JMHO

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I just realized that in my original post, I didn't list the size of the hats, all 59s.

'I am a true 59. I have three Feds - two IVs and a III (edit: all 59s). One of the IVs I bought new. It was a little big when I got it but shrank down to fit me exactly. The other IV and three I bought used and fit me perfectly.'

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
So the consensus is to order your true size with an Akubra, rather than take their advice of going a size up? And does this apply to the Squatter, consensus-wise? I am not an in-between size, but intend to put it into rain use.

I'm a full size 7 3/8 (59) and have ALWAYS bought my Akubra's a size 60 and they ALL have sized themselves to fit me PERFECTLY after some wear and rain. I have 4 DM Squatters and ALL were bought this way and ALL fit perfectly in a really short time. I have 8 Akubra's and wear 'em ALL in the rain ALL the time and have had NO problems with them.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I have thirteen felt Akubras. When new, they have varied as much as almost 1/2 size from one another. I am on the "small" side of a 60 (7 1/2) and buy size 60 Akubras. Most start out a bit big, forcing me to use one (and in a couple cases, two) felt shims in the sweatbands. Within a month or two of normal were I am usually able to take the felt strips out and have a perfect fit. I think one or two of my Akubras still have one felt strip in them.

With my FED IV (regular), I took Hats Direct's advice and bought a size 61. So far after three months I still have one felt strip in it but I would bet it comes out sometime this winter.

BTW, three of my Akubras are Heritage grade and, aside from the sweatband difference, I have not noticed any difference in shrinkage to date.

I also have three polypropylene (plastic) models: Capricorn and Rink. While also a size 60 and having fake "pleather" sweatbands, these have obviously NOT shrunk. I have one felt strip in each but I think a size 59 would have been too tight.

YMMV

m0nk

One Too Many
I had ordered by first Akubra a couple years back, a bushman via David Morgan, in a size 56 even though I thought I was between sizes 55 and 56 (I have a small head). After it arrived I was worried it was a tad too big, but sure enough, after a few months of regular wear, I had to take the sizing pads out and it was perfect. I had the same experience with a Fed IV from HD purchased earlier this year. Of course, having left it in the car on a hot day helped the shrinkage along in half the time. It's now a perfect fit and even rain or leaving it in the car on hot days has no impact on the size. I only hope I have the same experience with my next hat... even if it's not an Akubra.

danofarlington

Actually I wouldn't expect that same process to happen with other hat brands unless you're going to wear them in the rain or leave them in the car on hot days. You might be disappointed if the hats don't behave as Akubras.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
I too ordered up a size based on HD's advice. I am a 57 so ordered a 58. The Fed IV was huge on me. I even sent them a picture of me looking like the village idiot. They did agree it was a little big and might not shrink all that much. As well, I didn't see why I should take a brand new hat and have to install a bunch of foam, sit out in the rain and then go through numerous drying evolutions to get it to fit right. HD was great and sent me a 57 on approval......it fit fine and I have since gotten another Fed IV, 2 Camp Drafts and a CEO all in 57 and all fit perfectly.

danofarlington

I too ordered up a size based on HD's advice. I am a 57 so ordered a 58. The Fed IV was huge on me. I even sent them a picture of me looking like the village idiot. They did agree it was a little big and might not shrink all that much. As well, I didn't see why I should take a brand new hat and have to install a bunch of foam, sit out in the rain and then go through numerous drying evolutions to get it to fit right. HD was great and sent me a 57 on approval......it fit fine and I have since gotten another Fed IV, 2 Camp Drafts and a CEO all in 57 and all fit perfectly.

Have any of them gotten drenched?

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
The bluegrass green Campdraft I received is a 57, equivalent to my 7 1/8 I normally wear. It was initially pretty loose, and is finally starting to tighten up. Based on this, if I were to buy another Campdraft (one never knows)... I would again buy a 57.

Tom

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I would like to add that if I was between sizes I would always go up and not down. Stretching hats has always been a pain in the butt. I'd rather pad or shrink them down a bit.

bluemoon

New in Town
I think my head is getting bigger as I age. My cattleman was 61. It is about 10 years old.. It is a tad too tight now. I went up to 62 for my Lawson, which is on it's way. Just shipped today.

All my baseball caps are 7 3/4... Which translates to a 62. So we shall see.

Last edited:
I think my head is getting bigger as I age. My cattleman was 61. It is about 10 years old.. It is a tad too tight now....

More like the Akubra drew up some. I have a 20 something year old 62 that fits like my 61s. Sweatband dry out causing them to tighten up. Leather does that as it dries. The natural oils are taken out with evaporation of the moisture. That is why stretchers/hat jacks are handy items to have.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
My apologies in advance...haven't read through all the preceding posts.

(1) I think Akubra sizes hats about 1/2 size large to allow for shrinkage. Current hats that is, I have no idea what they did ages ago.

(2) I also think they use the same blocks and sizing for Imperial felt and Heritage grade. The Imperial does seem to shrink about 1/2 size. The Heritage in my experience doesn't, either from wear in all kinds of weather or deliberate attempts to shrink it. Maybe a wee bit with extreme wear, but pretty much nothing as far as I can tell.

(3) Ignore all they say, with the best of intentions, about the Federation blocks being different. I have four of them and they ain't. All the preceding applies to them also.

(4) With all respect to very experienced loungers, I just can't envision leather sweatband shrinkage being a significant factor. At least not with any newer or old, very well worn Akubras I have. The leather is pliable and will stretch a whole lot more than the felt. I suspect it's all in the felt.

(5) As a caveat, I also think the brim plays a very large but often overlooked role in how the hat fits.

Upshot is, I'm between sizes and a new Heritage grade 59 fits my 59.5 cm head just fine and pretty much stays that way. For Imperial felt, 60 cm used or new after much heavy wear seems to fit comparably.

Your mileage may quite definitely vary!

- Bill

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have not yet taken the plunge into buying one of these hats yet, but I am sure in my future I will desire to own one. I think in reading everything about the brand Akubra, it seems the hats are made to be worn and have a practical every day use appeal while holding some very nice appearance traits which makes me think the hat is a very good bargain to own.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have not yet taken the plunge into buying one of these hats yet, but I am sure in my future I will desire to own one. I think in reading everything about the brand Akubra, it seems the hats are made to be worn and have a practical every day use appeal while holding some very nice appearance traits which makes me think the hat is a very good bargain to own.

They are the best "deal" in hat's made today barring a mint unworn primo Vintage or Custom you can get for FREE !

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
They are the best "deal" in hat's made today barring a mint unworn primo Vintage or Custom you can get for FREE !
I am sure they are. I think to have one is going to become a priority for me, more so with the winter season about to hit here in Michigan, and with the rain we get as well. To not have to be so careful about what hat you wear if a hat at all, makes it even that much more attractive.

m0nk

One Too Many
I am sure they are. I think to have one is going to become a priority for me, more so with the winter season about to hit here in Michigan, and with the rain we get as well. To not have to be so careful about what hat you wear if a hat at all, makes it even that much more attractive.
I'm with you there. I wear my Akubras in the worst weather here without any worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads