Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The headline on Akubra's article is a little misleading. If you disregard the headline, it appears that the Saddle Bronc is simply a new style to the existing line, while the Pro 30X is the first of the new beaver blend line.

EXCELLENT catch, Ken :eusa_clap!

Reread the blurb after reading your post, and you're right!

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
I just stopped by Akubra's website and noticed something QUITE interesting.... they now offer BELTS! While I still prefer carrying my pocket knife in my back pocket, those Leatherman and pocket knife case belts are interesting.

Randy

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here's a noggin shot for you Bushman lovers....

.... a quick snap when I got back from the stables this afternoon. It still is my "go to" hat for daily wear :) BTW, I got to see two Territory model Akubras on the heads of a couple out at the stable today. They are endurance riders and had just come back from Australia where they had been on a horseback trek for a week where they got their Territory's. Those are BIG hats :)

Bushman1-1.jpg

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
That looks good on you, Monbla. I like the color, it's tempting me, but I'm not in the market for a hat... [just won a pair of RM Williams boots on eBay yesterday, so there went my hat budget for a bit]

I'd like to get my hands on a Territory, I'd think it would make an excellent sun hat.

Randy

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
OT but have you ever worn them before? They are GREAT boots. I've two pair, both over 10 yo and love the hell outof them !! Used to wear mine when I rode, now they are just worn out to the stable :)

James71

A-List Customer
The territory is the best shade hat for working in our harsh outback. Even winter days can leave the non hatted burnt and as red as a pommy tourist on bondi beach.

On hot days it can be slightly more bearable under a soaking wet territory with the brim low at the back for maximum neck shade.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Question for you James:
Since we live in two places with similar climates ( heat wise) do you wear your working felts in the noon day sun with the liner or without. For me, a felt WITH a liner is unbearable here in the 100 + deg Texas sun. Most times up here we wear straws in the summer, but what is the common practice "down under"?

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Bushman? Good-looking hat, but I'm wondering why I can't find it on the Akubra website. Does it have a different name here in Australia? The only references on a Google search seem to be US-based sites, and I can't match it visually to anything on Akubra's product pages.

Neophyte

Bushman? Good-looking hat, but I'm wondering why I can't find it on the Akubra website. Does it have a different name here in Australia? The only references on a Google search seem to be US-based sites, and I can't match it visually to anything on Akubra's product pages.

You know how the Federation is a HatsDirect exclusive? I believe it's the same case with the Bushman. It is a DavidMorgan exclusive.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

It probably is a DM exclusive now. Here's the copy from DM's site about it :

"The Bushman is a classic Australian stockman's hat, worn in the outback since before 1900. It is related to the old snap brim Fedora, and was the first hat imported by Akubra from England. It was also the first hat made by Akubra when they started manufacturing in the early 1900s. It was one of the first hats we sold in the 1960s, and it continues to be appreciated both in Australia and America for its simple, straightforward style, and its practical comfort"

Last edited:

James71

A-List Customer
Question for you James:
Since we live in two places with similar climates ( heat wise) do you wear your working felts in the noon day sun with the liner or without. For me, a felt WITH a liner is unbearable here in the 100 + deg Texas sun. Most times up here we wear straws in the summer, but what is the common practice "down under"?

They are definitely much cooler and breath more effectively without the liner. I cut the plastic out of any lined hats, and have pulled the liner out altogether in some. They go back in easy enough if you don't lose them.

Neophyte

I've just been admiring the new Akubra site and the "straw" hats there. But, can anyone tell me what the difference between the Capricorn and Rink models are, aside from the colour?

http://www.akubra.com.au/products_straws.html

Aside from the available colors, they share the same shape, leather sweatband, price, width of the pug, brim width, and a bound brim. They seem to be the exact same hat.

theinterchange

One Too Many
OT but have you ever worn them before? They are GREAT boots. I've two pair, both over 10 yo and love the hell outof them !! Used to wear mine when I rode, now they are just worn out to the stable :)

I haven't worn them before, but wanted a pair for quite some time... but couldn't justify the new price without having had a pair in hand to see them for myself.

Randy

Neophyte

I would like to thank fellow Lounger Jed for posting a pic of his Slouch hat. I have decided that it will be my next Akubra!

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe