Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra hemp range

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I haven't tried the 'Range' but I do own an Akubra
'Balmoral' hemp hat. It's light, tough, and can withstand a tropical downpour. Fantastic hats.

SDC10363.jpg
SDC10243.jpg
[/IMG]

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Very nice! Looks shape.

Thanks, just the info I wanted.

I'll order one up, 58 is perfect here too.

Do you sport this Akubra while writing your own autobiography of barrister exploits?

byronic

One of the Regulars
Eph

Can that hat (the Balmoral) be packed/squashed/rolled to any degree when travelling? I ask as I recently put up a post inquiring about packable panamas, but I like the Akubra a lot after seeing it, just wondering if it'll stand a little abuse.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Love that "Balmoral" Mr. Tutt! (Obviously quite different from the Scots bonnet of the same name...)

If you would, could you tell us the brim width?

Also, I notice that David Morgan says the following:
"Hemp straw hats are stronger than Panamas made of toquilla fiber, are more durable and will last longer. However, like other straw hats, we recommend that you keep it away from water."

Seems you've had yours out in a downpour. I've had woven hemp hats out in downpours - no problem at all. So...wondering why the warning...can anybody shed some light?

byronic

One of the Regulars
Woodfluter said:
Love that "Balmoral" Mr. Tutt! (Obviously quite different from the Scots bonnet of the same name...)

If you would, could you tell us the brim width?

Also, I notice that David Morgan says the following:
"Hemp straw hats are stronger than Panamas made of toquilla fiber, are more durable and will last longer. However, like other straw hats, we recommend that you keep it away from water."
Well, that's answered my next question. I know it's a tall order, but I want a panama (or something straw-ish, like hemp) that can be packed/rolled and also withstand being caught out in a shower. Possible or not? I've seen a few Polystraws, but I prefer natural fibres.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
I haven't tried the 'Range' but I do own an Akubra
'Balmoral' hemp hat. It's light, tough, and can withstand a tropical downpour. Fantastic hats.

SDC10363.jpg
SDC10243.jpg
[/IMG]
Who sells the Balmoral, ET?

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Range Arrived

My Akubra Range arrived today.

This one looks like an instant favorite. Fits just like an Akubra felt...perfect! Summertime Camp Draft.

It shaped nicely with light water spray and use of block & flange.

Removed the puggaree and installed 1" brown cotton/rayon ribbon with bow.

It's not packable but seems very travel worthy.

Will try it out in next rain, which seems to be every other day this year.

FTC

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Fredthecat said:
My Akubra Range arrived today.

This one looks like an instant favorite. Fits just like an Akubra felt...perfect! Summertime Camp Draft.

Sounds good. Could we see some pics, Mr. Cat?

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
photo challenged

Would love to post photos, but alas I'm stuck with 1970's technology for the most part. (computer semi- literate and I know what a Commodore 64 is.)

Is there a sticky note or primer on how to post/load photos? I can get them as far as from a borrowed digital camera to my “computer”.

Also have 4 CampDrafts, other Akubras and a bunch of old Open Roads I would like to share photos of.

We don’t get cable/satellite TV, USPS won’t deliver here, we drill our own wells for GOOD water, nearest traffic light is 19 miles (mostly paved now) and cell phones don’t work up here so of no use. Hobbies are still wooden canoeing, tube radios, Indian motorcycles and old hats. Was that a banjo?

My “NEW” car was new in 1966.

But we still wear hats!

I really like the Akubra Range.

Photo help please.

FTC

byronic

One of the Regulars
There is help in the FAQ Fred, what you need to do is set up an account with photobucket, upload your photos to their site, then when you want to post pictures start your reply or thread as usual, click on the 'image' link in the message box and paste the image properties there.
Took me ages to figure it out.
This explains it better:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_attachment_explain

P.S. Your neck of the woods sounds like just the kind of place I'd like to live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg