Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had to heavily edit this picture (no shirt, tried to get a tan before the rainstorm hit, don't ask), but now that my ghost-white body is cropped out, here is the new and improved Campdraft bash. The rainstorm also saved me a trip to the store for a spray bottle :D . This is also an example of what I mentioned earlier about contrasting ribbon and binding:

CampdraftRain.jpg

To me, an Outback is more like a Snowy River, Coober Pedy, Banjo Peterson, Lawson, Kiandra, Riverina where a Fedora is like a CEO, Squatter, Stylemaster, Hampton, Campdraft with the Campdraft being a country version (thin ribbon, more casual/rustic) of the Fedoras. Just like American westerns can vary so do the Outbacks and the Fedora versions.
To me, a Stetson Open Road is "made" western with the Cattleman crease but is at heart a country fedora. JMHO

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte, your Campdraft bash is looking a little too good. I'm starting to get jealous. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I wouldn't mind seeing some detailed shots, you know, top, front and side.

Neophyte

gtdean48 said:
Your Humble Opinion Has Opened My Eyes????? [huh]

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Either you have ESP, or I'm not as hip with the lingo as I thought!!!

Mr. E Train, I agree, I seem to have that effect with everything I wear lol .
No, seriously, I'll get on that as soon as the sun comes out. I'd like to know what you guys think, but it's been cloudy all day with intermittent rainshowers.
Oh, and thank you for the compliment.

Neophyte

Alright, the sun finally came out about halfway through the picture-taking. Here's what I've come up with so far:

CampdraftFinal.jpg
CampdraftFinal2.jpg
CampdraftFinal8.jpg

Once the sun came out I noticed crinkles in the pinch. I like the look, and it imitates the effect I've heard is found on lightweight/featherweight felts:

CampdraftFinal3.jpg
CampdraftFinal4.jpg
CampdraftRain.jpg

Here it is on my noggin:

CampdraftFinal7.jpg
CampdraftFinal6.jpg

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
That looks great! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap And oddly familiar... :rolleyes:

If by "familiar" you are insinuating that I carefully studied your Campdraft photos to get an idea of how I should go about creating a really awesome bash for this hat, then...

...yes, you're right!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
If by "familiar" you are insinuating that I carefully studied your Campdraft photos to get an idea of how I should go about creating a really awesome bash for this hat, then...

...yes, you're right!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I feel honored.

danofarlington

Mr E Train said:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I feel honored.
That's the very way that I think hats have spread, and will spread: Copying. If someone (or his girlfriend or spouse) sees another wth a good hat, in many cases it will induce admiration or possiby envy, and set the wheels rolling for copying. Isn't it the same with any other fashion? And so with hats.

Neophyte

It's a new day for the Campdraft. This is its first official outing, I've not changed it or anything since I put in the final bash yesterday. Damn was it bright this morning! Luckily the CD was up to the task (unfortunately our driveway reflects sand-white on really sunny days, so I still had to squint lol ).

CampdraftNewDay-1.jpg

Neophyte

Spats McGee said:
Well, Neo, we're seein' lots of nogginshots of you and that Camp Draft. Is it still feeling gargantuan?

Not a bit. Maybe it's the proportions, but it actually seems smaller than it used to. I'm a true convert of the Campdraft and the Thin Ribbon, though. It's most definitely my favorite hat, and I really can't see me getting another hat for a long time (unless I want a Bluegrass Green or Glen Grey CD lol.).

The Campdraft's oval block is also the most comfortable of all my other hats (listed in my signature) and has responded best to shaping. It's almost the perfect hat, just needs a dark brown ribbon and needs to better conform to my head shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe