Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Landman

One Too Many
I wish Akubra made one of their nice open crowns in something lighter than silverbelly. I just don’t need any more dark hats, but they're great to play with.

BJ,

You should try an Akubra Sydney from David Morgan. Hatsdirect also sells the same hat except their hat has a wind trolley I believe. The Hatsdirect hat is called the Fedora. These hats come with a 5 1/2" open crown, 2 1/2" brim and a wider ribbon. The felt is suppose to be Imperial quality but mine seem to be much softer and can easily be hand creased. Most of the colors are dark though. These hats are almost exactly what you are trying to make with your Campdraft.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are treating the hat as a felt body. That changes the model of a hat. To use DougC's example, if you can see a car parked at the curb & still tell it is a Mustang, then it is a Mustang.
If there is a Mustang chassis under a body you don't recognize, it ain't a Mustang anymore.
For me, taking the edge binding off to shorten the brim & not replacing it, would be enough to not be true to the OR style & not be a Campdraft, like a Wanderer is a Playboy with a bound edge. A shorter brim with the edge binding back on, like the current effort to get a 2 5/8" brim, you still have the OR/CD attributes = matching thin ribbon bow & edge binding. Very ICONIC...
Hi

I like the analogy of the car, that's a great way to illustrate your point.

Later

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Good grief people, less talk and more Campdraft photos. I’ll get you started again but then it’s all up to you (since this is all I've got :D):

Campdraft-Copy.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Nice looking taupe fawn JT. I stoled your crease and put it on my last Campdraft. That type of crease works well for me. The bump in the middle makes a big difference for me because I wear mine down low.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
JT, that Taupe Fawn is a sharp color. Is that about how it looks in real life? A medium tan, with a tinge of red in it? Or is it more creamy-color? I ask because I'm considering getting one, bashing it like an Open Road, and possibly having the brim trimmed back to 2 3/8" or so (I like that brim width) and rebound, to have an OR-style hat in a middle-brown color.

BEHerron

New in Town
Nice looking hat. Like the bash. Clean, crisp, shaped nicely.

OK. I finally figured out how to get an image from FB to post here (I think).

This is my new Camp Draft imperial. It's a great hat!

Regarding sizing: Because I read here that they run a bit big, I ordered a 57 cm instead of my usual 58 (which requires folded tissue all around the sweatband). The 57 sometimes feels a bit tighter than I'm used to -- but, then again, my 58 cm Jackaroo tends to go a-flying in a strong wind when my forehead is sweaty, even with the tissue spacer. I guess that if the Camp Draft shrinks too much I can stretch it back a bit. Meanwhile, it's snug but comfortable even during our hot Israeli summers.

The bash:
376211_3326856682866_1133583215_n.jpg

Last member in my Campdraft Corral....

New to me from a former regular Lounge member who made it a WAR CD but I put a thin leather hatband made by Art Fawcett on this Taupe Fawn Imperial...
IMG_20121207_150633_418.jpg

That makes Silverbelly, Moonstone, Glen Grey, Mid-Brown, Bluegrass Green, Taupe Fawn...I'm not getting a Black one....any time soon....

Rogera

I am fairly new here and just got myself set up to post pictures so I wanted to go ahead and jump in and show off my new taupe Campdraft. I am officially hooked! Btw, thanks everyone for the help a few weeks ago when I had all of the questions about durability and sizing!
2012-12-13180856_zps8667e1f2-1_zps852ccf63.jpg

Last edited:

Rogera

Thanks Brian I really appreciate the compliment. I am proud to be a member of the campdraft club with such fine folks!

carranty

One of the Regulars
Looking good Rogera! I hope mine looks as good on me - I've a Bluegrass green campdraft waiting for me in the other room, but am forbidden from seeing it until Christmas :frusty:

Btw
New to me from a former regular Lounge member who made it a WAR CD but I put a thin leather hatband made by Art Fawcett on this Taupe Fawn Imperial...
IMG_20121207_150633_418.jpg

what does WAR stand for. I'm fairly new to the FL and am not up to speed on all the jargon yet.

Last edited:

Rogera

Looking good Rogera! I hope mine looks as good on me - I've a Bluegrass green campdraft waiting for me in the other room, but am forbidden from seeing it until Christmas :frusty:

Btw

what does WAR stand for. I'm fairly new to the FL and am not up to
speed on all the jargon yet.
You will love the hat. I have a stylemaster in that green color and it is awesome. In theory green doesn't sound very versatile but this shade is very neutral and looks very good. I almost went with a campdraft in green but since I already had the stylemaster I went with the taupe. I am also not too sure about the exact meaning of WAR and TAR but it refers to wide ribbon and thin ribbon.

Last edited:

Rogera

You are correct sir! Wide A$$ Ribbon & Thin A$$ Ribbon....Mid-ribbon is just Mid-ribbon cause it is in the middle & not at an extreme....

PS: Welcome to the Campdraft Confederacy...
Lol, A$$, thats great. I just couldn't figure that part out.
I am proud to be welcomed into the Campdraft Confederacy! Thank you very much. This forum will now be a lot more fun since I can post pics now!

carranty

One of the Regulars
In theory green doesn't sound very versatile but this shade is very neutral and looks very good.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure when I placed the order (chose it mainly due to the excellent feedback on it here on the lounge), however I got to have a quick peek at it before it was taken from me for wrapping and it looks a really lovely colour. Pictures really don't do it justice.

My thanks to both of you on clearing up the WAR/TAR query.

I really love the leather band gtdean, it complements the colour of the felt/bound edge really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe