Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero linings

Robson

Familiar Face
I have got a Hercules with alpaca lining, but never had a problem with itching, it's my winter jacket, so I never wear it with only a t-shirt underneath.
My Hooch Hauler has a quilted lining, witch is very nice and warm.

Loncster

Familiar Face
I have got a Hercules with alpaca lining, but never had a problem with itching, it's my winter jacket, so I never wear it with only a t-shirt underneath.
My Hooch Hauler has a quilted lining, witch is very nice and warm.
I have to say, The alpaca is a real nice add on to any jacket. Only downside is you can't wear only a shirt because it will make you itch

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I'm getting a new highwayman, Any suggestions on what leather would be your choice?
Well, that would depends on a few different things. What leathers do you already got in the closet and in the pipeline? Is there a specific type of leather / drape you are looking for?
Other things to take into considerations are that the sale is over, and the new full retail is in a price bracket where there are other options. For the Highwayman design I still think Aero is one of the best, but there are other options.

FWIW, I have had the Highwayman (regular cut, premier cut, and Sheene cut) in couple different types of leather, CXL FQHH, Vicenza, CXL SH, and Pinnacle HH. The one that is staying forever is the CXL SH because it has very good drape and still has that quality thickness. My CXL SH was from a tumbled batch, so it might be even softer than the stock version.

CXL FQHH / Vicenza / CXL SH (All regular cut Highwayman size 40, the CXL SH has one inch added in sleeve and body)
1726687847719.png

One thing to note is that there are different batches of Vicenza, and this particular one was more rigid so it draped less well for me than the CXL SH. But I have also had Vicenza that were less rigid and draped better. CXL FQHH obviously doesn't drape as well but I still love it for its wild grains and creases and all that, it's really better when they're 2.25oz thickness, any thicker takes forever to break in.

Pinnacle HH / CXL FQHH (Premier Highwayman / Sheene Highwayman)
1726688110266.png

For the leather, I really like the Pinnacle HH, except I would want it to be thicker. Mine was 2.25oz and I am not sure if their current batch is thicker or thinner. I feel Aero could offer the Pinnacle in thicker weight and CXL FQHH in thinner weight. Pinnacle HH drapes like second skin and still has that nice aniline surface finish.
If you're after the premier Highwayman cut, have a look at MrProper's PHighwaymans, he got them in different leathers, but his jacket has more tapering than stock versions.

Don't rush, and have a look around.

Loncster

Familiar Face
Well, that would depends on a few different things. What leathers do you already got in the closet and in the pipeline? Is there a specific type of leather / drape you are looking for?
Other things to take into considerations are that the sale is over, and the new full retail is in a price bracket where there are other options. For the Highwayman design I still think Aero is one of the best, but there are other options.

FWIW, I have had the Highwayman (regular cut, premier cut, and Sheene cut) in couple different types of leather, CXL FQHH, Vicenza, CXL SH, and Pinnacle HH. The one that is staying forever is the CXL SH because it has very good drape and still has that quality thickness. My CXL SH was from a tumbled batch, so it might be even softer than the stock version.

CXL FQHH / Vicenza / CXL SH (All regular cut Highwayman size 40, the CXL SH has one inch added in sleeve and body)
View attachment 640646
One thing to note is that there are different batches of Vicenza, and this particular one was more rigid so it draped less well for me than the CXL SH. But I have also had Vicenza that were less rigid and draped better. CXL FQHH obviously doesn't drape as well but I still love it for its wild grains and creases and all that, it's really better when they're 2.25oz thickness, any thicker takes forever to break in.

Pinnacle HH / CXL FQHH (Premier Highwayman / Sheene Highwayman)
View attachment 640647
For the leather, I really like the Pinnacle HH, except I would want it to be thicker. Mine was 2.25oz and I am not sure if their current batch is thicker or thinner. I feel Aero could offer the Pinnacle in thicker weight and CXL FQHH in thinner weight. Pinnacle HH drapes like second skin and still has that nice aniline surface finish.
If you're after the premier Highwayman cut, have a look at MrProper's PHighwaymans, he got them in different leathers, but his jacket has more tapering than stock versions.

Don't rush, and have a look around.
You got me on the CXL SH, I wanna go for it so bad just because i love the thickness of the leather and the beautiful waxy look of the CXL SH. I might go with brown SH and i would probably remove the back yoke and get the wayfarer sleeves or zip sleeves. Great collection man! Congrats!

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
You got me on the CXL SH, I wanna go for it so bad just because i love the thickness of the leather and the beautiful waxy look of the CXL SH. I might go with brown SH and i would probably remove the back yoke and get the wayfarer sleeves or zip sleeves. Great collection man! Congrats!
CXSH is a good choice. I have it as a Premier HWM and think the leather is great. I would only choose FQHH if the colour is not available as CXSH.

Loncster

Familiar Face
CXSH is a good choice. I have it as a Premier HWM and think the leather is great. I would only choose FQHH if the colour is not available as CXSH.
Not sure i get you? What color are you referring to, Cordovan? I don't think i'm a big fan of the reddish colors on any jacket, But i like yours.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
CXL SH is a fantastic leather. I think you're really going to enjoy it. I have a cross zip in black CXL SH and it's very enjoyable to wear.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Not sure i get you? What color are you referring to, Cordovan? I don't think i'm a big fan of the reddish colors on any jacket, But i like yours.
I wanted to say that CXSH is always my first choice (instead of CXFQHH) if the colour I want is available (unfortunately only black, brown, cordovan). But if I want e.g. natural or blue, then I only have CXFQHH. You want brown and then CXSH is really a good choice.

Loncster

Familiar Face
I wanted to say that CXSH is always my first choice (instead of CXFQHH) if the colour I want is available (unfortunately only black, brown, cordovan). But if I want e.g. natural or blue, then I only have CXFQHH. You want brown and then CXSH is really a good choice.
Yeah, It's really frustrating that they don't offer natural SH. Maybe i can ask them to get some batches of this color and pay for it? Would be a great idea but it's almost impossible

Loncster

Familiar Face
Yeah, It's really frustrating that they don't offer natural SH. Maybe i can ask them to get some batches of this color and pay for it? Would be a great idea but it's almost impossible
Actually, i know someone that ordered a batch of a leather that they don't offer and it worked pretty well for him. So maybe there's hope?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you’re ok with steerhide, then also have a look at the Badalassi, it drapes much better than CXL FQHH, about the same thickness.
Basically same jackets same sizing but brown one is Badalassi and there’s a huge difference in drape compared to the blue CXL FQHH.
badalassi vs fqhh.jpeg

Also have a look around the lounge, you can get skived or thick CXL SH in any flavor from the US makers,
Navy, Green, #8, #6, natural CXL SH, flat shoulder, rounded shoulder, peaked shoulder fits…
johnson leathers cxl sh.jpeg

Loncster

Familiar Face
If you’re ok with steerhide, then also have a look at the Badalassi, it drapes much better than CXL FQHH, about the same thickness.
Basically same jackets same sizing but brown one is Badalassi and there’s a huge difference in drape compared to the blue CXL FQHH.
View attachment 640660

Also have a look around the lounge, you can get skived or thick CXL SH in any flavor from the US makers,
Navy, Green, #8, #6, natural CXL SH, flat shoulder, rounded shoulder, peaked shoulder fits…
View attachment 640661
Absolutely stunning collection. I already own a barnstormer in black badalassi. I feel like CXL SH worth a shot, Right?

Was the natural SH different? Is there any difference between CXL SH Natural and the natural HH? I've noticed the SH is darker than the natural HH

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I would go for the regular tartan. Not unreasonaybly warm, sturdy and versatile. Go for cotton sateen in the sleeves, so you don´t get stuck. No itch that way, too.

The barnstormer is a tank of a jacket by itself, so a more hefty lining may not be a big issue, but personally I don´t like to add a bulky lining to the bulk of the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton