Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero linings

Loncster

Familiar Face
Hey y'all
I was just thinking about a good lining for a barnstormer, I love and hate alpaca lining just because it's itchy and it's not comfortable for my skin. I was gonna go with the tartan but I haven't tried it yet, So i'm asking for your thoughts and your experience with the best lining

Raisin Brando

New in Town
Hey y'all
I was just thinking about a good lining for a barnstormer, I love and hate alpaca lining just because it's itchy and it's not comfortable for my skin. I was gonna go with the tartan but I haven't tried it yet, So i'm asking for your thoughts and your experience with the best lining
I've had the wool before, as you said it's very scratchy. I have the corduroy lining in one my Aeros and it's quite warm and looks good too. For the Aero I ordered during the sale, I went with the Shetland tweed option, we'll see how that fares.

Loncster

Familiar Face
I've had the wool before, as you said it's very scratchy. I have the corduroy lining in one my Aeros and it's quite warm and looks good too. For the Aero I ordered during the sale, I went with the Shetland tweed option, we'll see how that fares.
Have you tried the moleskin lining? It is so smooth and comfortable

Loncster

Familiar Face
I was actually split on the moleskin and the shetland tweed, but I went with the tweed after consulting Aero
I might go wtih the shetland also. It's actually impossible to imagine how will the lining go with a big jacket like the barnstormer, I have a barnstormer already in alpaca wool but it's super itchy so this is the reason i'm staying away from it

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Have you tried the moleskin lining? It is so smooth and comfortable
I have a jacket with a moleskin lining. I really like it, but it's not as warm as you might think. At least not in combination with CXL. I don't find tartan wool lining overly warm either. I would probably try corduroy next.
I hardly notice any difference in my jackets as far as warmth is concerned. I have cotton satin, cotton twill, tartan wool, moleskin.

Edit: Maybe quilted would be something to try if you want it to be warmer?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Strome weight tartan is very good material. Shetland Tweed is also very good, but more expensive and maybe a bit thicker than the 16oz Strome wool tartan, I am not sure. The cotton based linings will develop horizontal back wrinkles after like one wear and the wool based linings will be mostly wrinkle free. Barnstormer has an open bottom on the back lining. Alpaca is thick but the Aero version is flat woven and tends to be quite prickly on bare skin, can even poke through thin poplin shirts. The Aero Alpaca blanket needs breaking in to feel less prickly, flatten the hair fiber so to speak. If extra warmth is needed, quilted lining is better than Alpaca imo. But the wool tartan or tweed will be much more versatile. Wool tartan or tweed would be my pick because I don't like wrinkles on linings.

Loncster

Familiar Face
I have a jacket with a moleskin lining. I really like it, but it's not as warm as you might think. At least not in combination with CXL. I don't find tartan wool lining overly warm either. I would probably try corduroy next.
I hardly notice any difference in my jackets as far as warmth is concerned. I have cotton satin, cotton twill, tartan wool, moleskin.
Kind of lost between those!

Love your jackets dude, You made me consider CXLSH on the highwayman

Loncster

Familiar Face
Strome weight tartan is very good material. Shetland Tweed is also very good, but more expensive and maybe a bit thicker than the 16oz Strome wool tartan, I am not sure. The cotton based linings will develop horizontal back wrinkles after like one wear and the wool based linings will be mostly wrinkle free. Barnstormer has an open bottom on the back lining. Alpaca is thick but the Aero version is flat woven and tends to be quite prickly on bare skin, can even poke through thin poplin shirts. The Aero Alpaca blanket needs breaking in to feel less prickly, flatten the hair fiber so to speak. If extra warmth is needed, quilted lining is better than Alpaca imo. But the wool tartan or tweed will be much more versatile. Wool tartan or tweed would be my pick because I don't like wrinkles on linings.
Idk I don't really like the smoothness of the quilted lining, Maybe deserves a shot since you mentioned it. The wool tartan got my attention not gonna lie lol. Also I've seen your barnstormer i guess? If you can provide some pics to see your legendary collection, That would be sick!

Last edited:

Loncster

Familiar Face

Edit: Maybe quilted would be something to try if you want it to be warmer?
Is the quilted lining stuffed with cotton or something? It looks pretty flat on the website

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Idk I don't really like the smoothness of the quilted lining, Might deserve a shot since you mentioned it. The wool tartan got my attention not gonna lie lol. Also I've seen your barnstormer i guess? If you can provide some pics to see your legendary collection, That would be sick!
I had a Barnstormer in raw horsehide and a Blizzard in Kelpie horse. Alpaca lining in the Barnstormer and strome weight tartan in the Blizzard. In theory, I would like a thin CXL Blizzard with the point collar and without the belt, or a single breasted Barnstormer no belt. Maybe next time Aero runs the sale.
Aero Barnstormer Fit Comipel Raw HH 002.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Kind of lost between those!

Love your jackets dude, You made me consider CXLSH on the highwayman
:D Thank you.
Is the quilted lining stuffed with cotton or something? It looks pretty flat on the website
I think so, but I don't know, because I don't have a quilted lining from Aero yet. Only from an other manufacturer and it's stuffed. Very comfortable when it gets cooler.

Loncster

Familiar Face
I had a Barnstormer in raw horsehide and a Blizzard in Kelpie horse. Alpaca lining in the Barnstormer and strome weight tartan in the Blizzard. In theory, I would like a thin CXL Blizzard with the point collar and without the belt, or a single breasted Barnstormer no belt. Maybe next time Aero runs the sale.
View attachment 640470
View attachment 640471
Is the first barnstormer unfinished HH?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton