Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero HWM warm lining options - shearling?

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Hi guys

With three leather jackets in active rotation this autumn I’m a happy boy!

My new aero KoTR with cotton twill feels perfect for 10-15 degrees range.

On a chilly morning of just above zero I put on the Johnsons cafe racer (yes that WHITE CR)! Because of the quilt linining and I can zip all the way to my neck it blocks out all the wind and chill. It feels so comfortable just keeping perfect body temp for me.

But both jackets are such a good fit just over a thin merino baselayer and chinos - anything heavier of jeans with big belt buckles these jackets won’t fit at waist.

That leaves me with just my aero HWM for layering for colder days of sub zero. The waist can obviously accommodate multiple layers due to the extension buckles on the sides, but I feel the zip struggles to go all the way to the top with a heavy jumper. It currently has wool blanket type of factory lining.

So I’m thinking - would it be an option to replace the lining when it’s worn (won’t be too long given I bought this jacket second hand and it’s well broken in) - say with alpaca or even shearling? Has anyone done an alpaca lining replacement with aero and how much cost? I’d imaging sheerling would cost more.

The obvious option is to sell this HWM and use the money to buy a jacket with sheerling lining already!! I know I know - but just want to explore relining as an option.

For my sins about 15 years ago I ordered an aero barnstormer with shearling lining - spent about £650 and sold it onto someone new with tags still. I so, so regret that decision.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
I once had a jacket relined with shearling and I have to say that it wasn't a good idea. It turned out to be too tight and, above all, too short because the shearling took about 1 cm off the shoulders. What's more, the shearling didn't go all the way to the zip, which created a real cold bridge.
My tip: save the money, spend a bit more and buy a real shearling.
If your Highwayman is made of CXFQHH, the leather will also get really hard when it gets cold.
1728764664127.jpeg

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
I once had a jacket relined with shearling and I have to say that it wasn't a good idea. It turned out to be too tight and, above all, too short because the shearling took about 1 cm off the shoulders. What's more, the shearling didn't go all the way to the zip, which created a real cold bridge.
My tip: save the money, spend a bit more and buy a real shearling.
If your Highwayman is made of CXFQHH, the leather will also get really hard when it gets cold.
View attachment 646260
Thank you very much that’s really useful insight!

I just saw a model Hudson Bay on aero website and it’s £1260. I thought the high cost is shearling but saw a general increase of prices across all models! 30% increase or so since summer!

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Thank you very much that’s really useful insight!

I just saw a model Hudson Bay on aero website and it’s £1260. I thought the high cost is shearling but saw a general increase of prices across all models! 30% increase or so since summer!
Yes, unfortunately. My D-1 now costs 925 GBP (without UK VAT) and I bought it for 700, even with the PHWM. Was 700 the year before last, now 900.
On the other hand, the alternatives are still a lot more expensive. You can talk yourself into it and then, calculated over 30 years, it's not that much ;-)

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
I now feel so good I spent £945 in July for my KoTR! Best investment decision this year :).

I think the solution to my winter cold fear can now be very simple - I can simply wear my Canada Goose Snow Mantra and let myself sweat in it a bit!! Last year I wore it once at -10 to walk to a post office, and after 30mins round trip I was toasting hot and sweating!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cossack