Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman with mouton collar?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Yes, I admit it. I have an Aero addiction. I thought the Stuart (with which I am very pleased) would put an end to my yearning, but no. I have decided I need a second, warmer jacket, to wear throughout the British winter (a recent, intensely cold period may have influenced my decision) and intend to order a black Highwayman, with a few modifications. One of those would be a (black) mouton collar. Has anyone ordered a Highwayman with a mouton collar? Pics? Or am I crazy?

(This would make something like my fifth or sixth Aero now.)

Regards,

Sir Jacket

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a Highwayman with the Alpaca lining and don't find it a particularly warm jacket. It's OK in the 40s and 30s (7 C. to 0) with a sweater, but below that, I need more. The fur collar would help when it was up to protect against the wind, but other than that, not a lot of added warmth.

There are some on here who have posted the Alpaca keeps them warm enough at 0 C. with only a T shirt underneath. I am not one of those.

Look on the bright side, though. If the Highwayman wasn't warm enough for your winter wear, you could always try again with another type next year. A win/win situation.

Papa M

A-List Customer
I have a hybrid FQHH Highwayman with a brown mouton collar. I mentioned it on another thread - it is lined with the Brando Waterfront green plaid woollen lining.

Lovely jacket - but it is terribly stiff and the lining is far from satisfactory - itchy and not soft enough for an interior. I love the jacket but only wear it with some thick and luxurious sweatshirt under-layers.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I have a HWM with a rust color mouton collar. It's been a lifesaver and my go-to jacket all winter. I would find it difficult to have a jacket without a mouton collar now... reason being I tend to wear my A2 in warmer weather and the HWM in colder weather.

IMG_1457-1-1.jpg

It is very cozy with the collar fully up.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
That's brown.

If going with cordovan, cherry or black I would get a black mouton collar. I really do not think that a brown collar would suit a black leather jacket.

:eek:

Papa M

A-List Customer
Mr. 'H' said:
I really do not think that a brown collar would suit a black leather jacket.

:eek:

copyofimg2286.jpg

Brown collar, black FQHH.

I'm one of those guys who defies Frank Zappa's "Brown Shoes Don't Make It". I wear brown shoes with a black suit.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Mr. 'H' said:
Definitely suits you Papa. You can pull it off. But it ain't one for everyone.

Kind of you to say that. However I think the fundamental point is that a brown mouton CAN work with black leather.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Papa M - that is one beautiful jacket! I have never been a fan of mouton collars, but that one just works. I like the green "Indian" patch on the outside and I like how it ties in with the green wool lining. Is yours steerhide or buffalo? The hide on the arms has really "jerkyed up" quite a bit.

I agree that brown and black can coexist and look good together - perhaps not always, but I feel it can be done successfully. Heck, I have been doing it out of necessity for years - I have struggled to find a decent Brown leather jacket for years - in the United States EVERYTHING is black, black, black.....at least as motorcycle jackets are concerned. I am chomping at the bit to get my Aero "Ace" Halfbelt in brown FQHH. It'll be nice to finally match, as almost every pair of boots I own are brown.

Sorry that my compliment has degraded into a rant - the point it I like your jacket, and I think it looks fantastic. Mr. H's jacket looks great as well, for that matter.

Papa M

A-List Customer
jimmer_5 said:
Papa M - that is one beautiful jacket! I have never been a fan of mouton collars, but that one just works. I like the green "Indian" patch on the outside and I like how it ties in with the green wool lining. Is yours steerhide or buffalo? The hide on the arms has really "jerkyed up" quite a bit.

It's Horsehide - front quarter. The label says Front Quarter but judging by the variation I would guess that it is unmatched horsehide.

That lovely Indian patch is the 345th Bomb group.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Papa M said:
copyofimg2286.jpg

Brown collar, black FQHH.

I'm one of those guys who defies Frank Zappa's "Brown Shoes Don't Make It". I wear brown shoes with a black suit.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Tell me, did Aero supply and stitch the squadron patch or did you do that afterwards?

Papa M

A-List Customer
Mr. 'H' said:
Tell me, did Aero supply and stitch the squadron patch or did you do that afterwards?

I believe that the patch was supplied and attached by Aero. I didn't commission this jacket myself - I luckily acquired it off the original owner.

Julian Harding

New in Town
Hi all,
first post, been lurking, great site, lots of great advise if your thinking about shelling out a whole load of cash on a new Aero.
I have a zip sleeved highwayman in black size 40" in horsehide with a black mouton collar, it's my favorite jacket ever. I've had it about 12 months and it's just beginning to soften up and not look brand new, I've not done anything to break it in other than wear it. I know that the collar isn't everybody's thing but it makes the jacket abit warmer in UK winter weather. I chose a size 40" as I want to still be able to fit in this jacket in 20 years time!

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 475
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 352

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members