Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bootlegger or Cropduster, what do you recommend ?

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Hi all, I am in the process of deciding what my next jacket will be and I have narrowed it down to the Aero Bootlegger or Cropduster jacket. I have enough military style jackets so I thought I go for a real 40s style jacket to go with either khakis or jeans and possibly to use on my 1953 Jawa motorbike. Now both styles seem pretty similar. My question is what style would you recommend? Do any of you have pics wearing either of these ? Am I right in thinking that both styles are real short jackets ( which is half of that great vintage look anyway). I looked on the US Aero site where they have also measurements and a 42 (my size) is nearly 27 inches long and that dont make it a short jacket .... Your kind advice and remarks are appreciated.

Hi D-O
Well,I think picking a jacket style really does come down to ones own personal tastes. I have Aero Highwaymans...and "30s style Halfbelts in various hides.
"My" dream jacket would be a FQHH Aero Bootlegger with bi-swing back(A "must" for riding my MC)...zippered sleeves and a couple of G1 style inside pockets with Alcapa Lining. Someone special ordered one of these on the VLJ forum sometime back..and posted pics. Same pics were on Mark Moyes Aero USA picture trail.
I also think that the Highwayman and reg. HalfBelts are more '50s style. However,the "slim" style HB seems to fall in the '30s,'40s catagory with the trimmer bodyfit..narrower sleeves..shorter waist back angled toward front..and button sleeves. The Cropduster also has the '30s,'40 look. To me..the Bootlegger has the '50s cut style body(not so extremely trim) but with a '30s,'40s collar style. I wear a size 40-42. Normal body length runs around 25" from bottom of collar to the end of jacketback. Otherwise..a waist length jacket. Possibly the 27" that you noticed was custom made to that length(?). I do like the Cropduster...the Cossack and others. If you look close,the patterns are similar to the HB..with varying features. I think that you would really be pleased with either jacket you mentioned. If you've never had an Aero FQHH..you're in for a treat!
Me...I'd choose the BL...;)
HD

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Aero made a Bootlegger-style jacket for Levi's Vintage Clothing line that has the retains the bootlegger's "aviator" collar but has a trimmer and shorter torso like the 30's halfbelt. I'd bet a few bucks they still have the pattern laying around. Mine is tagged a size "regular" and has a length of 23.5 inches. Dynamite jacket.

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
it´s gonna be a long half belt after all

well, I have changed my mind after all. I have too many short jackets (B6, B15, B10,A2) so I really need a longer style jacket. i now fancy the Aero long half belt jacket. Anyone in possesion of that jacket?

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
GOOD CHOICE !

Yes, I bought an Aero long half belt this year - I can only say SUPERB ! Aero jackets are top notch in all areas - made to a very high standard, but I already knew this as I have one of their A2s. As previous posters have mentioned, Aeros FQHH is a very substantial hide indeed and will require some serious 'breaking in' but mine has begun to soften a little and is already aquiring a slightly less 'just out of the box' look. My advice as far as sizing goes would be to go for your true chest size as I can assure you that any layering will not be necessary ! I opted for the Alpaca wool lining and it is certainly warm enough in cold weather with just a shirt underneath.
Hope this helps - enjoy the jacket, you will not be disappointed

Colin

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

I have a bootlegger and I really like it. I just sold a Cossack to fund a highwayman I'm going to order next week. If your still undecided, I really like the Route 66 http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=1713 It has, IMO some cool 1930's cuffs and a windflap that isn't shown in this picture.

If you're interested, here's a picture of my bootlegger. It's made of oil pull brown mid weight HH. It is four or five years old now.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gimmesomeshelter/detail?.dir=b497&.dnm=25fb.jpg&.src=ph

Paul-

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
i like em all

Man oh man all them fine jackets. I got my mind set on the Aero Hercules with a fur collar. Not sure if black or brown. Sure this jacket aint suited for a spin on my bike but it does looks classy otherwise. Now all I gotta do is get the dough, all of 380 quid to pay for the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley