Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 25 year old Highwayman

dan_t

Practically Family
Well, the video clearly shows a female who I am unfamiliar with, who is not a postal worker. Hopefully that'll give the police something to work with.
Evidently, unless the parcel is sent with specific instructions that ONLY the addressee can sign for it, pretty much anyone else can. All you have to do is fraudulently fill in the form left by the courier to state that an authorised representative can collect. This is then supposed to be signed by the person to whom the package is addressed, but evidently any old squiggle will do.
It's obviously a flawed system.
I'll be making a claim with eBay / PayPal for an undelivered parcel. Who actually knows where the responsibility lies with this one?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Usually eBay are pretty good with always siding with the buyer. Just afraid that they might end up screwing the seller!

This is so low, can't believe someone would go through the trouble of doing that without knowing what the parcel is.
For all they know it could have been a box of nails or something not worth very much.

What a rotten thing to happen! What saddens me most is what you said, that the jacket won't mean anything to the people who stole it. They're probably gonna throw it away, cursing their luck because, who would buy a worn out, old jacket, anyway.

It's a strange though that anyone can just pick up any parcel, without the need of presenting a valid ID. Here you have to show them your ID on pickup, and then sign the form that it was really you who collected the package - and they've stopped leaving notification of delivery for that specific reason, but instead use the phone # provided by the sender.

Maybe the police will find them? The thieves must've done this before so probably there's a storage full of all the stuff they've collected somewhere? Don't lose hope.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I'm sorry to hear this Dan.

A few years back UPS delivered an iPod at home, I wasn't there... they left it next to my door, I was lucky no one took it or I could have claim I never received it since I didn't sign anything...

The post office here in France leave a note then you have two choices:
- Reschedule a delivery
- Go to the post office with the note and an ID. If it's another person who will get the package for you they have to present the note, his/her ID and YOURS

I hope you can at least get a refund even though it won't replace the jacket.

Sadly, I've had this happen twice. Once it was the USPS, once it was UPS.
USPS took about 9 months or so to finally pay me the insurance I took out. After countless hours/emails/phone calls. It was the pits.
I've since thought that using a lot of insurance on a package is a flag to those in the know (internal) and I have not done that since.
It may be a risk, but so was insuring and having things "missing". It's sad.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Man, this has me bummed out. As you say, now that jacket has disappeared into the hands of someone that has no idea of what they just stole. It's probably one in a thousand but maybe you get lucky and someone can identify the woman.

Edward

Bartender
THat's very disappointing. Hopefully you can at least get your money back. I had a package disappear in November - courier claimed delivery, even supplied a completed slip, but we were in when it was supposedly delivered, and none of my neighbours took it in, so it seems likely that the driver stole it. It was my other half's Christmas present and everything. Sender made good on it (presumably from their own insurance - arrived fine next time with a better courier), but ti should never have happened. It's a problem, I gather with a lot of these cheap couriers - they pay peanuts, usually by completed delivery rather than a wage, and that really doesn't help with ensuring a delivery.

Stand By

One Too Many
Man, I am gutted for you Dan. That's so low and tragic. I mean, really. I'd be seething beyond words.
It's not even my jacket and I feel bummed out for you! I really hope something positive can happen with the police. I wish I could take you out and buy you a few beers and commiserate properly. You deserve that.

Stand By

One Too Many
THat's very disappointing. Hopefully you can at least get your money back. I had a package disappear in November - courier claimed delivery, even supplied a completed slip, but we were in when it was supposedly delivered, and none of my neighbours took it in, so it seems likely that the driver stole it. It was my other half's Christmas present and everything. Sender made good on it (presumably from their own insurance - arrived fine next time with a better courier), but ti should never have happened. It's a problem, I gather with a lot of these cheap couriers - they pay peanuts, usually by completed delivery rather than a wage, and that really doesn't help with ensuring a delivery.

I don't think anything ticks me off more than someone stealing my mail. It's happened to me (Christmas presents to nephew and nieces back in England. Now they all get cash in a card).
I always go with a tracking service after that. It's terrible that it must come to that. Some people.

Stand By

One Too Many
Well, the video clearly shows a female who I am unfamiliar with, who is not a postal worker. Hopefully that'll give the police something to work with.
Evidently, unless the parcel is sent with specific instructions that ONLY the addressee can sign for it, pretty much anyone else can. All you have to do is fraudulently fill in the form left by the courier to state that an authorised representative can collect. This is then supposed to be signed by the person to whom the package is addressed, but evidently any old squiggle will do.
It's obviously a flawed system.
I'll be making a claim with eBay / PayPal for an undelivered parcel. Who actually knows where the responsibility lies with this one?

I say the responsibility lies with the thief and that woman deserves a weekend in the stocks so people can sneer and hurl insults and throw eggs and bad fruit and rotting vegetables (only very old cauliflowers and asparagus, mind. Have you seen the prices of them these days?! It'll soon be cheaper to throw caviar at this rate!).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Dan, I'm sorry to hear this happening to you. Whoever stole this might try to sell on eBay, so keep a watchful eye. Today I'm supposed to receive a package and hope that doesn't happen to me too. You should be reimbursed which doesn't make up for the lost jacket. :(

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I can tell you down here in Canberra, it is impossible to pick up a parcel without photo ID stating you are the person the parcel is addressed to. I would be skinning
Aus Post over this one. The problem is, the jacket was a steal( pardon the pun) so it would would preferable to have the jacket in lieu of the cash. I cannot see you having a problem getting cash back from Auspost. Failing that, with a police report, PayPal should be your friend too. You might also end up with the jacket back now they have a pic of the junkie that stung you. I really hope you get a result mate.

AdeeC

Practically Family
That is just so sad. Unfortunately there are opportunist thiefs who target letter boxes. Seems a matter of luck these days. The postal service should take more responsibility and care for protecting customers goods. You should have a good case in getting your money back at the least. That jacket might end up at a pawn shop most likely.

Four months ago my wife went for her early morning walk at 5.30am. She left her keys in the letter box. Someone found them and got into the house just as I was waking up at 6am. The thief heard me and left. Took a kindle and my wifes phone. The thief managed to lock the door and put the keys back in the letterbox. Who would think there would be that sort of thing happening that early in the day in a reasonably safe area?

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man...what a downer!!!!! I've only had that happen once & boy did it spoil my week :-(

I hope you at least get your hard earned returned.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
This really sucks... and I mean sucks!!!!! I feel for you man. I get misdirected parcels and mail and ALWAYS walk it right down the street to the rightful owner... I hope and pray you get some satisfaction....

Worf

What horrible thing to have happen. Here's to hoping you at least get your $ money back and the turd that grabbed your jacket meets a pissed off pit bull at their next attempt.

dan_t

Practically Family
Thanks one and all for the kind thoughts, it's quite cathartic actually.
Let's not dwell on this negativity any longer, it's happened & gone.
I'm sure karma will kick in & the thief will get what's due to them.

On to the next, more positive thread.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe