Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1930's Half Belt sizing help please?

Jackrinse

New in Town
Hi all

I have been very well looked after by the folks at Aero and I cannot wait to get my hands on a 30's Half Belt. They have suggested I go for a 46 inch 30's Half belt which I am thinking may be too large.

I am hoping for some help in making the decision to go 44 or 46.

I recently returned a 46 long Highwayman as it was too big around the shoulders and the style was too boxy for me. I am also losing weight so this reinforces my concerns.

I have calculated the following measurements from jackets I own that work at my goal weight.

Back 28
Arm 28
Pit to cuff 20.5
Shoulders 20
Pit to pit 26

I am 6 feet 4.5 inches tall and will wear a 38 waist and a 44long suit.

I have 46 inch suits which Fit a bit too large on the shoulders.

I have read Aero jackets are generous and therefore think 44 should be a very safe bet.

Can anyone offer any advice based on their experience?

Many thanks

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Jack,
I just took one out of the box two days ago...(I'll post up soon) I am a solid 48, as measured around my chest and the 48 fits me fine, with just a slight bit extra for a light layer, as I asked for. My recommendation is to think about what you want the lining to be, and how much you want to layer under it.. If you plan to keep it trim fitting get the 44. If you want a shearling lining or need to wear a heavy sweater under it, the large size may be right.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The 30's HB fits slim and true to size. It isn't oversized in any way. With your height, you'll want to make sure you have enough length as it is a short jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The 30's HB fits slim and true to size. It isn't oversized in any way. With your height, you'll want to make sure you have enough length as it is a short jacket.

At 6'4" and change, I would think the back length would need to be a minimum of 27" and maybe even a bit more. I think that you and I are sized similarly, except I suspect that your torso is 2-3" longer than mine, and imagine that you would wear 44 extra long coat, whereas I wear a 44 long. I would think that a size 44 30's HB with 28" sleeves and maybe 27.5" back would probably give you the snug fit that you need for that particular style of jacket and should look good on you with that sizing.

Jackrinse

New in Town
Thanks Fanch
I have 28 sleeves and 28 back, sounds like it will work well.
I have some 44 extra long and 44 long suits. I think the long are working better for me to be honest.
Do you have pics of your Aeros?

schitzo

Suspended
With this jacket you gotta make a decision early doors. Which is, do you want the thing true to its original 1920s design OR do you want a more current version that's better suited for today's style of dress.

In its original form it's a tight fitting short jacket that should sit just barely covering your belt. Beltlines are lower today so even if this 1930s look is your aim an adjustment may still be required. I'm 6,2 and 25 inches at the back will achieve that for me. As I say, this original version is tight fitting so we're talking shirts or t-shirts underneath only. If this is what you want order true to size and be careful not to add too much length. If whilst wearing your jeans with a belt you have someone measure from the pointy bone at the base of your neck come top of the back (i dunno what that's called!) i.e. the nape, to half an inch/1 inch past your belt that will be sufficient.

On the other hand, if you want this jacket but with adaptations to make it suitable for layering under then go a size bigger and think about adding an inch (or more) on top of the length you'd have for the version I just described above.

IMO, if its the current version you're after then I say forget this jacket and order something else! To get a trimmer fit than a 50s halfbelt or a highwayman it doesn't have to be a 30s halfbelt, does it? Or does it chaps? This was something I asked about in a thread not too long ago and as I recall I didn't really get satisfaction there. Possibly the 40s halfbelt is an option, but if not then I'm hopeful there'll be something among the new designs coming out next month that'll fill the hole

pauleway

Practically Family
With this jacket you gotta make a decision early doors. Which is, do you want the thing true to its original 1920s design OR do you want a more current version that's better suited for today's style of dress.

In its original form it's a tight fitting short jacket that should sit just barely covering your belt. Beltlines are lower today so even if this 1930s look is your aim an adjustment may still be required. I'm 6,2 and 25 inches at the back will achieve that for me. As I say, this original version is tight fitting so we're talking shirts or t-shirts underneath only. If this is what you want order true to size and be careful not to add too much length. If whilst wearing your jeans with a belt you have someone measure from the pointy bone at the base of your neck come top of the back (i dunno what that's called!) i.e. the nape, to half an inch/1 inch past your belt that will be sufficient.

On the other hand, if you want this jacket but with adaptations to make it suitable for layering under then go a size bigger and think about adding an inch (or more) on top of the length you'd have for the version I just described above.

IMO, if its the current version you're after then I say forget this jacket and order something else! To get a trimmer fit than a 50s halfbelt or a highwayman it doesn't have to be a 30s halfbelt, does it? Or does it chaps? This was something I asked about in a thread not too long ago and as I recall I didn't really get satisfaction there. Possibly the 40s halfbelt is an option, but if not then I'm hopeful there'll be something among the new designs coming out next month that'll fill the hole

I think if he goes with his normal size suite jacket, and add the extra sleeve and body length he prefers, the 30's HB will be just fine for t-shirt or a little layering. I just got a 30's HB in my normal size and it fits spot on and does have room for some layering!

schitzo

Suspended
I think if he goes with his normal size suite jacket, and add the extra sleeve and body length he prefers, the 30's HB will be just fine for t-shirt or a little layering. I just got a 30's HB in my normal size and it fits spot on and does have room for some layering!

But Pauleway, the biggest sticking point for Jack, at 6,4 is gonna be the length. I'm only 2 inches shorter than him and although a 38 will fit on me the damned armholes just won't work - which means a 40 is necessary, which adds breadth which I think impacts on length - as for the wider one to look 'right' it has to be a bit longer than the skinnier one. Is any of this making sense?!

Trust me. For us taller dudes this is not an easy jacket to get right. In addition, our friend Jack has a bit of meat on him, which again adds further complication!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
schitzo, I had the same problem. I needed the room in the shoulders but not in the chest and waist. After the first jacket was a total disaster in terms of fit, they tweaked the pattern for the second jacket. Shoulders size 40 but below the armholes size 38. That did the trick for me.

pauleway

Practically Family
But Pauleway, the biggest sticking point for Jack, at 6,4 is gonna be the length. I'm only 2 inches shorter than him and although a 38 will fit on me the damned armholes just won't work - which means a 40 is necessary, which adds breadth which I think impacts on length - as for the wider one to look 'right' it has to be a bit longer than the skinnier one. Is any of this making sense?!

Trust me. For us taller dudes this is not an easy jacket to get right. In addition, our friend Jack has a bit of meat on him, which again adds further complication!

I think Rudie might have the best solution to this problem.

Jackrinse

New in Town
Pictures of correctly and not so correctly fitting 30's Half belts would help here.
I guess only the owners of the ill fitting jackets should post their pics as it may be a little unfair to start criticising people's beloved half belts..
I have a clear idea of how I want my jacket to fit. There are three or four members in particular who have managed to get what I consider the right sizing. These members are all seemingly not over or under weight.
I will try to copy the pics here but two of these guys are from Spain.......can someone help here

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here is my vintage black FQHH Highwayman size 44 with 26.5" back and almost 27.5" sleeves.

905560C5-BA68-47D8-8CF7-815995377D68-501-0000008C238EBA42.jpg

F98F77D9-6558-4760-AC65-415B8C23A94C-723-0000028BCE923939.jpg

0B7389BA-0F92-439B-B76A-3687B02600BD-501-0000008C34378737.jpg

Jackrinse

New in Town
Thanks for the pics Fanch
As mentioned earlier, the Highwayman is not for me due to the excess around the chest and shoulders.
Looks good on you though.

Here are some pics of how I hope to have my 30's HB

Oops..I think I may not have pic posting privileges?
How many posts are required to attach pics?

Jackrinse

New in Town
Yes this is one of the stylish Spaniards to which I referred earlier, the jacket not only fits perfectly but he wears it and owns the look completely.
Tito was the other hombre who wore his 30's so well. Tito's version was even more to my liking as he wore his in a less classic more youthful manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld