Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 jacket fit - honest opinions requested

Dracorex

Familiar Face
Fit is very subjective isn't it? I know one thing, if you think the jackets are too big then they are. It doesn't really matter what others think. Having said that, I agree with you. The jackets would be a little too big for me. Although the sleeves on the ELC would be too short for me. To me there is nothing more important than the fit of the jacket and if it doesn't feel right it just keeps gnawing at you.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I think for your size and body size they both look ok, the GW is roomier at the back but wouldn't the next size down be too tight or look too small on you.
Sometimes you can be unlucky like me a be a kind of inbetween size with a choice of just too big or just too tight.
Most people here and on the VLJ seem to agree they look good.
Nothing is worse than that "it just ain't right feeling"

BobJ

Practically Family
Evaluating "fit" entails more than just analyzing photos taken while standing at attention.

How do the jackets feel when you move around in them? How about when you extend your arms up or out? Do you find you are constantly having to tug the jacket back down every time you raise your arms to do something? Can you talk on a cellphone comfortably? Tie your shoes? Do cartwheels? Eat a meal? These are all parts of everyday life, and if you want to wear your jacket for more than posing, you need to be able to do these things comfortably in it.

Just my loose and baggy two cents.

Bob

Cooperson

One Too Many
Looking at early photos the fit of an A-2 was all over the place, some trim some baggy. Both look fine to me, I'd go with the one you feel most comfortable in.

Marv

A-List Customer
Well, the PJs weren't a great hit then, I will take similar photos of both jackets with appropriate trousers......watch this space.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think they both fit well, with maybe an edge for the ELC, i think the GW shoulders are a bit wider than the ELC and come out a bit much, but not in a way that looks bad. Sleeve and body length is good on both.
Neither looks too big to me, I would be happy with either fit.
The pants on the other hand look like a perfect fit, are they tailored?

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
Photo re-shoot wearing the right trousers.......

GW

ELC

I personally think the GW back is really blousy where as the ELC is blousy but not as much also, with this being a RW it's roomy around the torso and I am thinking probably the Dubow contract would be a better fit for my body shape - I like the Dubow 20960 with it's collar stand, Crown zipper etc.

example
http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Dubow20960_No5_46/Dubow_20960.jpg

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Dubow20960_No5_46/Dubow_20960_A2.jpg

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
I tend to find that G1s fit better than A2s for me and when I'm buying vintage as long as the jacket has 24" pit to pit and 19.5" - 20" across the shoulders which are usually labled a 44" or 46" reg then I can pretty much expect a good fit.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Last set of pics with jeans look better. If I could only keep one, it would be the GW.

Here is the least helpful comment you will receive. Front:GW, Back:ELC
Truthfully I think they both look good but as stated above the back on the ELC would be my preference and the front is so similar it's a toss up between the two. It's really just a matter of which one you prefer.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thank goodness for the second set of photos. Much better - a lot less distracting. Pairing PJ's with an A2 - that's rather like mixing diet Coke and ice with a single malt.
I think you have two great A2 jackets! Comparing them is rather Pepsi/Coke to me - and the only discernible difference I can note is the pocket placement - as in, set higher on the ELC. But I have to say, unless it was a direct A:B comparison, I wouldn't otherwise notice/care about that.
And I like the fit of both (but, like a few others have said, I too prefer a looser fit - and that's just personal preference).
I'd be happy with either of them.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I stay with what I said before after seeing these pictures. The Goodwear is blousier, yes, but in a good way and drapes better, nicer knits and all. It's a freaking Good Wear, whata heresy is it to doubt it inthe first place. :D :D Both of them fit and you can comfortably wear them don't worry, but if you could only keep one, I'd recommend the GW.

yakima

One of the Regulars
I guess it comes down, ultimately, to how the OP wants his jacket to fit - and from his question as to whether the two jackets were too BIG, then I think it is safe to say he wants a pretty tight jacket.
On the other hand, if he wants it to look like an original A2, then we need to look at the issues of roominess at the back, and blousing.

There are hundreds, probably 1000's of wartime pics available - I just picked the first that Google showed me, pics of the famed Tuskegee Airman, and they make the point excellently.

Now, if we look at the fronts, we see various shapes and body sizes - but ALL have blousing to a varying degree. NONE of them look like the flat fronted ELC.

nCSjXZ.jpg

And if we look at the backs, ALL have relatively loose fitting backs - even the guys crouching down are still showing a degree of blousing, despite their jackets being stretched by their pose. Having a loose back was simply the easiest way to allow for forward flexing of the arms, without any "action back" pleats around the shoulders, which would have increased the cost of manufacture.
MLbnB2.jpg

So (IMHO), if the OP wants a tight jacket (much tighter than they were originally worn) (and he is perfectly entitled to do that), then I would say get a smaller size ELC, but request longer sleeves (if the OP could send us some pics with his arms stretched forward - like driving, or as originally, like piloting a plane or manning Bendix heavy machine guns, then we can see which jacket has too short sleeves).

On the other hand, if he wants a jacket that looks and fits like an original, then he should simply stick with his GW. It looks and fits just like an original, which, as I stated before, is why folks wait for so long, and pay so much dosh for GW jackets ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads