Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A sad day for Washington, DC (two fires)

Barry

Practically Family
I just checked the news and was upset to learn that my local neighborhood library is on fire. The building is collapsing. This branch was opened in 1935 is the home of lots of maps, plats, books and historic newspapers covering the Georgetown area.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13223252/detail.html

Also, there was another major fire at Eastern Market which is up on Capitol Hill. The south part of the building was destroyed. This market is about 130+ years old.

http://news.wjla.com/news/stories/0407/418874.html

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
Jake,

I hope it's just a coincidence. The market is one of my favorite places. It's fun just to stroll around there with friends or a date after lunch at one of the nearby restaurants (I like Montmarte).

Sadly, the Market Lunch is located in the South Hall along with some of the other food-sellers. I hope this doesn't have too much of an impact on the whole scene down there. The Georgetown Flea Market moved over to Virginia (it might have closed) and now this...

Barry

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's extra expensive to sprinkler an older building. Extra extra if it happens to be landmarked. I would think DC government's priorities are pretty messed up as it is without asking them to do this :(

Barry

Practically Family
Fletch said:
It's extra expensive to sprinkler an older building. Extra extra if it happens to be landmarked. I would think DC government's priorities are pretty messed up as it is without asking them to do this :(

The two fire hydrants closest to the library were out of order as well. If I owned one of the multi-million dollar homes surrounding the library I would be extremely upset. Additionally, the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library (part of Harvard) is right down the street. Thankfully, that collection was relocated to a newer facility on the DOAKS grounds.

Barry

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:

The DC government's priorities are indeed messed up. Wait, scratch that--the DC government is messed up.

Still, sadly, the Market had been scheduled for renovations beginning this summer, among which were installing a sprinkler system.

I will miss Eastern Market very much. Always a fun place to be, especially on weekends. Really a hub of community life. And the french toast from Market Lunch was simply the best I've ever had.

lindylady

A-List Customer
The last time I heard the news today, there was talk of Mayor Adrian Fenty already making plans to rebuild. The vendors were out selling food the very next day after the fire, so let's continue to expect progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley