Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for those who have parted ways with their Aero's

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
This is what happens when you buy a jacket without trying it on first. If you had tried that jacket on in a store you probably would not have purchased it, but since you purchased it online -- and it's non-returnable -- you talk yourself into the idea that it's as good as you wanted it to be. But the reality is that you wouldn't have bought it in the first place had you been able to try it on first.

Who is this for?

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Cole: I do not ave a jacket that I think is fitted well enough to replicate. This was my first measured jacket. My plan is to use the highwayman's measurements as a reference. I will still have to guess somewhat. That is quite a substantial downsizing for the same brand.

Griff: I thank you for the kind comments. The look I want would be trimmer fitting jacket. My thought was when I do take delivery of said trim jacket that would make the highwayman obsolete in my wardrobe. I'm not sure I have enough cold days here in northern califorina for two brown utility jackets (I have other leather plans ad well). I went back and also looked at the pictures it sure doesn't look as bad on the screen as it does in the mirror. I should snap a few pics of how much room I have zipped up ect.
I do use the highwayman while ridding my motorcycle and jacket rise (from the larger arm holes) is mildly annoying for me at least.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Aha, then I understand.
Well, the Cafe Racer has higher armholes and is very slim cut. I have a 39 chest and use a 38 highwayman, and my CafeRacer is a 40 and its really tight on me.
The full actionback is also very comfortable when driving in a car. You might want to consider it, as a riding jacket.

The jacket does ride up when raising the arms tho, and even by just sitting down.
I think this is not only due to the armholes in the Aero jackets but also due to the thick and stiff leather.
A soft jacket wont ride up. I have always thought of this as something that comes with the hide.
Although the highwayman is extreme, I do understand what you mean about it.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The leather being soft or stiff has a small effect on some jackets riding up. In my expereince it's mainly the cut. Having owned dozens of leather jackets over 25 years I have tested this often enough. Many soft jackets I have worn ride up the moment my arms go up. It's not just arm holes, its the angle of the hole, it's postioning in the side body panel and how the sleeve is stiched into the body.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Since you're in the US, you may want to give Insurrection in Seattle a call.

I understand your pain of a jacket not fitting right. After my last Aero, I kind of swore them off, since they never were quite right. Being able to try the jackets on at Insurrection made all the difference. I ended up with a 38 halfbelt which fits great. If I had followed Amanda's suggestion, I would have ended up with a 40.

If you call Insurrection, I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction and they probably have your size in stock. If it doesn't fit, just exchange it for another size.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Guys I really did not want to take this thread in a "whats wrong with this highwayman" thread. I want to hear others experiences with selling their Aero's. My highwayman is what a highwayman is. This was my first experience in buying in this format and dealing with Aero. My concerns and details I focused on were lining selections picking a hide getting accurate measurements ect. I chose the style based on what I thought looked good in the pictures I saw, and when I submitted my measurements mine would look like his in the picture when it arrived. I did not consider the different styles would fit differently giving the same measurements. A naive oversight on my part perhaps? I have since dug even further into fit trading emails with the kind folks here and I am looking forward to finding the holy grail. A perfect fitting leather jacket! Oh, speaking of holy grail, maybe an Indy this time?
I am really not upset about it. Like I said the jacket is stunning. I will deal with Aero again! This time with a better idea of what I want.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Highanddry: Thanks for the heads up, I have taken notice of fellow loungers experiences with insurrection and visited their site many a times. I would prefer to order a more customized jacket this time. I have been trading emails with a few loungers and again Amanda asking how to achieve certain looks and fit this for my next one. Definitely next time I am visiting family I have in Seattle, insurrection is on my must visit list!

I'm with you,oldcrow..
If I have reservations about a new jacket..or otherwise just don't feel right about the fit or style..I tend to give it..or really myself some time to see if it might grow on me..but if I can't overcome the uneasiness..I simply move it on for something else. I would suggest posting photos here in the classified section...and then eBay.
I would also suggest sending pics of you wearing the Highwayman to Will or Amanda and discuss exactly what kind of fit you would be happy with. I might recommend a '30s style HalfBelt which is a trimmer style with narrower sleeves. Seems to suit a slimmer build quite well. All of my HBs are of this style. Once you figure out what tagged size would be best for your build...sleeve length..and body length..I think you may accomplish what you are looking for.
No additional pics of my new Bootlegger yet. Pretty hot weather in Indiana right now...but I have been wearing it around in the AC on occassion. Also..Aero has made the Bootlegger based on the slimmer and trimmer '30s HalfBelt style. In fact there are photos of one or two on this forum somewhere. Do a search for Bootlegger!
HD

Last edited:

Black Leather

New in Town
Who is this for?

Hey Oldcrow, I was sympathizing with you -- the same thing has happened to me with online purchases. I've made plenty of mistakes ordering jackets that I didn't try on beforehand. Because of this I no longer buy anything online unless they accept returns. It's too risky.

Have you tried Langlitz? They specialize in custom jackets, which are based on a dozen or so measurements that you provide. What seals the deal for me is that their jackets are guaranteed. If you don't like the finished product, they will either fix it, make you a new one, or refund your money. For instance, a leather lined gun pocket sounds like a good idea until you receive the jacket and you realize the front panel is like a brick wall because there are now 4 layers of leather d/t the chest panel, chest pocket, and gun pocket. Without seeing the jacket beforehand, there is no way you could know this. They realize this and want you to be satisfied with your purchase -- if you don't like it, they will make it right. If you have a problem with one of their custom jackets, they'll tell you to either send it back immediately or, if you like, try it out for a year and if you're still unhappy send it back then. No worries.

To be honest, I've seen so many bad fitting Aeros on this forum that I've decided that Aero isn't for me. Goodwear looks much better (from the pics I've seen) but whatever you decide, good luck with your next purchase. If you decide to go with Aero again, I hope they get it right.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I agree the cut of the jacket is puffy in itself, not just the armholes but the entire jacket.
I think its very hard to get it right.

Mine looks kinda trim, but it is only because it is infact almost tight.
I can´t layer a sweater under because then it will be too snug at the hips to close. And even tho it is this trim, it still feels somewhat puffy. I think I have gone to the limit for my body in trying to trim the Highwayman, more would not be possible and as I said, it is still a puffy feeling jacket. It works good for me tho, because I tend to dip in weight alot so I can still relax in it even if I at the time have a little belly going on :D

oops sorry to go OT once again :D
Yes yes, post those fantastic pics on classified and Ebay, Im sure you will get a good price for it
but it might take some time for someone to buy it because of the "unnormal" size.

Last edited:

Radu

Familiar Face
I guess Aero has so many customers than they can't take care of their orders as it should. Amanda is very helpful but I don't think everything depend on her on the jacket making process. I gave her everything she need for my last HWM ( jacket measures, my measures, how I want to fit, pictures etc ) but the jacket has 3" more on chest and 2" more on the bottom and 1.5" less on the neck opening . I don't want to tell you about my first HWM, my chest is 38" and the jacket measure 48". Anyway, my next order will be a Goodwear California Ventura and I hope John will be more careful with measures than Aero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe