Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Photographic Detective Story - Name That Actress

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
For a while now I have been on a great search for what film a giant production still photo I have is from. It was originally donated to my high school film teacher and was used as a backdrop for the news broadcast one of his classes put on every week. I'm glad I took photos of it before it was given to me when my teacher decided to change the backdrop, as 2 of the 4 pieces were thrown away before I said I'd take it. I have the two on the right, which begins with the freestanding light and ends at the edge of the photo.

I am trying to find out what film this came from. Two clues are it was probably made in the 1940's because of the camera man's style of clothing, and it was made by Warner Brothers, since on the light it says "Warner Bros" (you can't see it). If I can find out the actor and actresses name, I can find out the name of the film, as well as the director and the year.

Here are three angles of the photo.

A full photo,

b_w.jpg

one of both actors,

b_w1.jpg

and one of the actress.

b_w2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought the actor might be Dennis Day, but am not sure. I tried to contact Warner Brother's photo department, but they never responded. I contacted Turner Classic Movies as well. They couldn't figure it out either.

If you can solve this case, I'll do something special for you! (sorry, no money :p)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He's not Dennis Day...it's on the tip of my tongue and it'll hit me sooner or later. Pretty early in his career - he was even in a couple Murder She Wrote episodes. Kind of a tough guy / Bronxy accent. I'll jot it down when I think of it and post it.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
What about the woman?

Anyone recognize her?

Here is a photo of Dane Clark.

v54.JPG

Kind of reminds me of Chris Kattan. Anyone else see that resemblence?

rockpre.jpg

It could be Dane Clark. From the look of his filmography, a lot of his films were by Warner Brothers, which would mean he was under contract.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
It could be Janis Paige. I can't fit the chin in her photo with the chin in this one, though. Her nose is a bit different than this woman's too. Hmm, we might be getting close

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Name That Actress

Hello ladies. I had started another thread in the Golden Era, but I am on a bit of a search and since it involves naming an actress, I thought it worthy to come here for a second. :)

Here she is:

b_w2.jpg

Now, can you put a name to this face? One clue is that this photo was taken in the 1940's, and is a film production photo from a Warner Brothers picture.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm going with Vickers. Besides the Clark/de Cordova connection, there's the matter of typecasting. She was best known for playing the Rich Man's Daughter (Carmen Sternwood in The Big Sleep, 1946). Her role in That Way With Women, made the following year, was another Rich Man's Daughter - Sydney Greenstreet's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S