Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

skbellis

One of the Regulars
US M1904 Marching Shoe

WPG now has these on sale for $98.00 :

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/pic/M1904 Marching Shoe2.jpg

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1937&bc=no

US M1904 Marching Shoe
New reproduction of this very rare field boot issued from 1904 to 1917. Though replaced by the M1917 Shoe, many doughboys were still wearing these in France in 1917.

This run of repros has some minor cosmetic flaws: 1) the cloth pull-on loop at the back of the shoe is misssing, and 2) there is a WWII QM contract stamp on the inside. These flaws don't show when worn, but WPG is blowing them out a reduced price.

Pablocham, the shoes you have pictures of are US Navy Boondockers. We were issued them when I was in during the early 90's and I know they have been around forever.

Cheers,

---Scott

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Question on the M1904's (they are beauties!!)

How do WPG sizes run. Example: is a SIZE 8 an true SIZE 8, or do they run a size small or large?

Just so I know if I order over the website.

Many thanks for any help or feedback on this!! Anyone else have these boots?

Regards, PM.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
WPG Sizing

Paddy,

I have ordered WPG's ammo boots and I found the sizing to be right on. I have heard from others that were satisfied with his sizing. Don't forget that they are US sizes and not UK.

Cheers,

---Scott

bigrex

New in Town
This boot/shoe by Rockport (Rockport Farnum) is similar to the Indy boot in it's general appearance although probably more plain than some golden era shoes:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=m&pcid=91415

Since it doesn't come in 3x's extra wide I'm considering the next closest thing I can find at a reasonable price, a work boot by Carolina (Carolina Briar):

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=221056

The cloth tag is easily removed.

Sefton said:
I like the look of the Alden 405 (the Indy boot) but it is a bit expensive at almost $300. I may yet get a pair but would like to look at some alternatives. Thanks. Best regards, Sefton

tonypaj

Practically Family
PADDY said:
How do WPG sizes run. Example: is a SIZE 8 an true SIZE 8, or do they run a size small or large?

Just so I know if I order over the website.

Many thanks for any help or feedback on this!! Anyone else have these boots?

Regards, PM.

Bought the shoes from WPG, fast delivery, no hassle. Size is fine, I'm 8 1/2 American, 9 is still OK, the model is wide, no problem even with my EE feet. However, it has to be emphasized that these are shoes, high ones, not boots. Leather soles, which is great, except I just last year moved to a farm in the countryside and probably need to visit a shoemaker for the soles, unless I'll figure out a way of seriously waterproofing them. Overall I'm happy, pretty much exactly what I wanted...

tonypaj

JG

New in Town
Work Shoes

My posts usually seem to be about cheap ways I get the look I want. I got a pair of these.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=380927&pn=4

The only ones in my size were the tan ones which are pretty light but I sprayed them with a darker brown and coated them with dubbin and they've been a good option throughout this winter. Don't come in half sizes though. I'm a 9 1/2 and got a 10. They're a hair big on me but not problematic.

They have a waxy waterproofing so the spray on polish didn't hold that well 'til I put the dubbin on.

Cheers,

Jim

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Timberland Workaday

I recently discovered the timberland workaday boot. It comes in three colors maple, tan, and dark brown. I have the maple and tan. Wore the Maple walking San Francisco and nary a problem walking all day. Great boots

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Nice looking...
1396-509797-p.jpg

But why do the sellers have it listed either as "Urban" or "United Kingdom"? Are they trying to tell us something? Will they get you laughed out of your favorite honky tonky?

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
WHITES BOOTS

Don't these look GREAT!!

Also still like the looks of these. Shame no-one in the UK seems to be doing them for a decent price anymore.

REDWING 1911 GENTLEMAN TRAVELLER

I'm particularly impressed by the Whites...... it's a scary amount of money for a pair of shoes, but on the other hand if they were guaranteed to last that much longer than something half the price..... [huh] I might take a punt on somethingl ike that when I'm more flush...

vintage68

Practically Family
PADDY said:
WHITES BOOTS

Don't these look GREAT!!

Also still like the looks of these. Shame no-one in the UK seems to be doing them for a decent price anymore.

Yet another way this site has strongarmed me into buying something I don't need. I liked the look of the 1911 Gentleman Traveler so much I went ahead and made an impulse purchase on a pair from Zappos!

It was the ad copy that got me:

The Gentleman Traveler Series
"The Red Wing Gentleman Traverler Series harkens back to a time when travel didn't include frequent flyer miles. Travel was difficult and often wrought with adversity but gentleman still needed to look smart and sophisticated along the way. Their shoes needed to navigate crushed gravel streets and then be polished and ready to impress."

Being an ad writer myself I should know better. Hrmph. This site sucks.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WHITES semi dress boots.

A hybrid between the work boot but with a lower heel to look more like a boot that can be worn with a suit or slacks.

COLOURS: (Yes..I'm a Brit and so the 'U' in in there ;) ) - They do black, dark brown, sienna, tan,...and I'm wondering, which colour looks most authentic? I fancy the tan/light brown, but the dark brown does look the most vintage.

Thoughts please..? (pics in the site below):

http://shop.linegear.com/product_in...=1423&osCsid=758b289643f5bbba37556f72a5d56ff2

Speedster

Practically Family
PADDY said:
A hybrid between the work boot but with a lower heel to look more like a boot that can be worn with a suit or slacks.

COLOURS: (Yes..I'm a Brit and so the 'U' in in there ;) ) - They do black, dark brown, sienna, tan,...and I'm wondering, which colour looks most authentic? I fancy the tan/light brown, but the dark brown does look the most vintage.

Thoughts please..? (pics in the site below):

http://shop.linegear.com/product_in...=1423&osCsid=758b289643f5bbba37556f72a5d56ff2

...and a few more pics (not my boots, regretably, but images saved for future reference):

whitesboots1qt-1.jpg

whitesbootsside8zm-1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dark Brown? (in the Whites' pictures)

Thanks for those super pics!! I'm assuming those are the 'dark brown?' (and Sienna must be the 'darker' brown?[huh] Wish they'd show boots with ALL the different colours).

Possibly the 'tan' would be just 'too light' whereas dark brown goes with more things. Also, prefer the 'leather' sole as opposed to the composite one (which is very practical and probably will last longer, but leather is more authentic in my eyes).

missionamp

New in Town
This web site has a pretty good selection of the various semi-dress styles, in case you're deciding on the various colors, etc.:

http://www.unionmade.jp/semidress variation.htm

I ended up getting a pair in black water-buffalo from Baker's shoes, and am really pleased with them. If you decide to go with black, be sure to specify the color of the sole (well, the side of the sole). By default, it comes painted black, as shown on the unionmade site.

Erik

One of the Regulars
White's are legendary in the northwest into the Rocky Mountain region of the US. Packers, cowboys, lumberjacks, linemen, fire fighters, folks who just like the look... they all seem to swear by them.

I know several people with them and they've assured me over the years that each year I pass on buying a pair is another year I'll eventually come to regret once I finally get some on my feet.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
WHITES BOOTS

Don't these look GREAT!!

Gees those Redwings float my boat. I remember seeing Redwings (like Allen Edmonds) when I first went to the USA in the 1980s and even though I was not a boot tragic I thought they were a very handsome piece of footwear.

Having seen all the other posts I remain convinced that they have the proportion and quality to be the best pick. IMHO FWIW...[huh] [huh] Water Buffalo French Calf boots in the Japanese Whites online catalogue are also awesome..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads