Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

25 Years of Hat Styles 1892-1917 (1917 Article)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This article is very important for the historical dating of hat styles. It lists what styles were popular in which time periods between 1892-1917. There are also some great pictures to add to the historical relevance. I was excited to find this article.

Part 1

hat_style_1917_1.jpg

Part 2

hat_style_1917_2.jpg

Part 3

hat_style_1917_3.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This article confirms the theory that from about 1915 to about 1918 was the peak of soft hat crown heights. After reviewing many vintage advertisements from this period in The American Hatter publications, it seems that it was very common for soft hats to have have 6 inch or even 6 1/4 inch open crowns. Most of the time these were paired with 2 1/8 inch - 2 3/8 inch brims, with the most popular being 2 1/4 inches. They obviously had 5 1/2, 5 5/8, and 5 3/4 inch crowns, but the hats that many advertisements said were the "best selling" or "most popular" usually had 6 or 6 1/4 inch open crowns during this time period. I think this is my favorite period in hats.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Now, Josh we need to find the 1918 to 1943 the next 25 years of hats.:) Always good stuff the the American Hatter and Hat life.
Do you have a link to the exact issue?

amador

A-List Customer
Most Excellent! I noted that Fedora was mentioned only in passing. I Suppose that the Fedora was still a style for ladies of the day from about 1889 and Sarah Bernhardt's introduction of the style.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Can you post a link to the original? I assume this is on the google books archive. I'd like to read it in larger print. Thanks.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wanted to bump this. Its a great article that shows early hat styles and the extreme rate at which styles changed in the late 1890's/early 1900's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82