Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1942-1943 Bargain Catolog

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Recently found this so I made some scans of the men's section. It is mostly women's items so sometime I will scan some of that for the ladies here. But for now here's the men's items.

Sorry you can't read the descriptions. I'll comment on anything important you might be missing. If there's anything you can't read tell me and I'll type what it says.

Front cover:
001-1.jpg

Section of hats and other items. All of the hats offered are 100% wool and most of the fedoras have the "latest blocked sloping crown". Also of note is the "Juke" hat in the upper left-hand corner with a 3 1/2" brim!
Also note the spats.
002-1.jpg

The hat on the middle right is very similar to one I own from the same time period. 100% wool, 2 1/2" brim with a feather in the ribbon. "Victory" is printed inside the unlined crown.
woolfedora.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

I'll take one of the aviator jackets in brown, please.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
006-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

I'll also take one of the leisure coats.

While I knew clothing took a military turn during the war (particularly women's clothing), I was amazed to see a lack of rationing or simplification at this point of the war. Nearly all trousers offered have pleats, cuffs and full body construction with wide legs.
That last page shows a complete lack of rationing with item F, "Wide Bottom Trousers: 24-inch bottoms with cuffs 3-inches deep, and wide waistband with 8 buttons". Prices probably rose with the beginning of the war but I was expecting to see less elegant and full-bodied trousers, suits and coats.

When did cloth rationing hit the homefront? Was the clothing shown in this publication a 'bargain' because they were old styles that needed to be liquidated?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a great catalogue Thunderw21, thanks for posting! Some of those shoes are amazing. Heck, the whole thing is amazing! I've got a bunch of modern argyle-pattern sweater vests that look just like the one in the third scan!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Awww...

Aww... :( You tease with the cover, but only post the men's clothes. Any chance you can post the ladies clothes as well? That is if you get a moment.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
LolitaHaze said:
Aww... :( You tease with the cover, but only post the men's clothes. Any chance you can post the ladies clothes as well? That is if you get a moment.

Most definitely, Lolita. Probably tomorrow sometime. Some good ladies clothes in there, a lot of military inspired stuff and "V for Victory" as well.
Cheers

Jay

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
When did cloth rationing hit the homefront? Was the clothing shown in this publication a 'bargain' because they were old styles that needed to be liquidated?
This fabric rationing has me confused as well. I've got a 3 piece tweed suit with cuffed pants from 1943, the supposed height of fabric rationing. Was anything official, I wonder?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I like that fleece leisure coat. I'd love a jacket like that. I don't have anything vintage to wear when the temps are in the high forties and fifties, as my car coat is made of heavy wool.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
Most definitely, Lolita. Probably tomorrow sometime. Some good ladies clothes in there, a lot of military inspired stuff and "V for Victory" as well.
Cheers

You are wonderful! Thank you!! :eusa_clap

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Cheers

we must see this!!!

i mean... please post women's stuff when you have a chance! :D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The Wolf said:
Some great stuff! It also shows that were ugly clothes in the golden age also.
Thanks for posting.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Indeed, just like today the Golden Era had some strange things. I don't think I'd be brave enough to sport those 24" wide collegiate trousers! 8 buttons? No thanks, I have enough trouble with one. :p

Weston

A-List Customer
Thanks for posting!

Hey – I didn't see the most important part – the order form! Think it'd be worth the $20 or 30 I'd send em to see if they've got some left? :D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
For the ladies...

As promised, the ladies sections. This is only part of the ladies stuff since I'm short on time.
Sweaters, hats, hose, lingerie and more tomorrow! :D

W001.jpg

W002.jpg

W003.jpg

W004.jpg

W005.jpg

W006.jpg

W007.jpg

W008.jpg

W009.jpg

Note the prevalence of military style and "V for Victory".

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Not a bad idea?

Is anyone else considering printing these off in color and making his/her own catalog for reference? I know I'm thinking about it! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe