Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's/40's brown leather cycle jacket restored by Aeroleather

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
ukali1066 said:
It was around £70 for the job...but I only paid £40 for the jacket so it was all worth it

That's about what it should cost, I reckon. Not too steep for a premium job at all and clearly worth doing. I've paid almost that much just for a reline.

Stay away from beer and chocolate.

Cheers

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
I really hoped that the job would turn out well. The lining choice is excellent and with all the weak spots restitched there is no reason to be too careful with the jacket. Aero really know how to faithfully repair a vintage jacket.
Enjoy wearing this piece of history!

BTW: Judging from your close-ups I would say that it's more likely that the jacket is made from heavy steerhide. But it still could be horsehide. Although the leather looks a bit too thick and sturdy for that. Where the surface finish is worn away you can see the light brown base of the leather which clearly indicates that the hide is veg tanned. Veg tanning leaves the leather generally a little stiffer and harder to the touch and also makes it more abrasion resistant where chrome tanning creates a very pliable and soft leather which is very UV resistant and has a high tensile strength. Veg tanning is the traditional way to transform skins of large animals into leather. It's time-consuming and quite expensive today, therefore very few manufacturers use veg tanned skins (Aero, Eastman, Goodwear, RealMcCoys/the Few etc.)
Again congratulations!

Fantastic jacket!

... the current FQHH jackets from Aero are vegetable tanned?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe