Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$1 Ecuadorian Supernatural at Flea Market

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
By the ruler, the hat would be in the 300-350 weave range per sq. inch. A superfino, finofino, whatever high fino name you want to use would be well over a thousand. The best I've seen lately is about 1700.

raycharles

New in Town
Baskins Name Inside the Hat

The Baskins name inside the hat band is probably a western wear chain store based out of Livingston, Texas. That is my guess, but they were started in 1972, according to their web site.

That sounds reasonable, because this hat is still very plyable and I doubt that it is 50 to 80 years old. It is great to know that the "Supernatural" name has been around that long as the ads from 1926 show. That is too cool!

I like the Ranch style hat I have. I'll have to learn all the hat etiquette, so wish me as much luck with that as I've had finding this handmade jewel.

As an artist myself, I appreciate handmade.

Ray

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I think it may be a bit older than that. I looked online. Baskin was also the name of an upscale Chicago mens store that did hats.

raycharles

New in Town
It Would Be Supernatural

If this hat is that old, it is truely supernatural that it is so plyable. It is actually softer and more plyable than any other straw hat I've ever seen.

I will continue searching for the history of this hat.

How about this for a hat manufacturer...

A card inside the leather hat band that would have lines for the name, date purchased, where purshased, how much, and some provinance or history of how the hat was worn. There could be more than one place for different owners. Who knows who might have worn the hats of old? It might encourage collectability as well. Or am I watching too much Antiques Road Show?

Ray

ankashorty@aol

New in Town
Ecuadorian

I'm a year late but I just got accepted to the Lounge. That hat probably came from Baskins, Chicago Ill. I think they are defuct now . They were an upscale store. I bought a hat with the same label and reading Ecuadorian Supernatural and Ecuadorian Panama from Marshall Fields in Chicago, probably around 1970. I still have it. Close inspection of mine revealed it said United Hatters Cap and Millinery, I can't make out the rest. It was underneath the size tag. The hat I have is nice, but it was out of the South Side Pimp Collection. I guess it's what I wanted to be when I was younger. I'm sure I paid less than fifty bucks when I bought it
I saw that Conqustidor tag on another thread on this site. One of the experts attributed it to Resistol. I hope yours is worth a lot, whatever it's worth, it's more than you paid for it.

"Your RAP sheet is the square root of your life." ME (I made that up)

barrowjh

One Too Many
Price - $17.50 - from 1950 through 1970 the London price of gold was fairly consistent, within a dollar of $35 per ounce. Yesterday closed at $729. To be conservative, use $700 / $35 is 20 times multiplier, so that $17.50 price is worth about $340 in today's US dollars. I think some others in the thread mentioned $200, and that would be within reason, as that is more of an estimated current market value, say, on ebay, if the hat is well described and advertised, where my $340 is more of a linear projection of 'list' price. Most new hats being sold on the internet are going at prices substantially below 'list.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe