Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worth & Worth

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was wondering if any of our members who live in the NY area, or have visited there, have any comments they'd like to make on this hattery. The reason I ask is that last night, during one of those periods when I find myself too tired to read and simply want to consider the concept of hats, I took a look at this company's website (it seems they had some tech problems with the site, but those appear to have been cleared up). It's now an excellent site, probably one of the best of the hatters' sites.
At first glance, I can see why the site doesn't get more attention on the Lounge: the crowns, when specified, are rarely higher than about four inches and there are only a few open crowns, though they say that bashes can be personalized. What struck me most positively about the offerings were the wide and interesting colors, often paired with unusual and appealingly colored ribbons (e.g. a cognac-colored felt with a navy blue ribbon). Prices are a bit high, but not excessively so, and the quality seems high.
So, any comments on this operation? I'll probably be visiting the city sometime this spring or summer and would appreciate any insights you all may have.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Certainly worth a visit as is JJ. I think most of WW fur felt hats may be made in Spain and are possibly FEPSA body's or by that other producer whose name I dont recall. Am I being vague enough...?

Certainly worth a visit as is JJ. I think most of WW fur felt hats may be made in Spain and are possibly FEPSA body's or by that other producer whose name I dont recall. Am I being vague enough...?
I just checked out their site. If you had not mentioned the lower crown I would have suspected my monitor was 'squishing' the image as they appear to be distorted or flattened. But you are right, all their crowns are on the low side and I think suffer for it.
I do like their Homburgs but the colour range is limited. And for a lot less I have ordered a Leon Drexler Hommie in beaver.
I think my days as an off the rack hat buyer are over....it is custom or nothing....unless a screaming deal in a vintage drops in my lap!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kind of my feelings as well, but, you know, never say never. I was wondering about JJ's, as they haven't posted any new hats since about Christmastime, which is unusual for them. Perhaps we'll be seeing some straws soon.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've not been to the W&W store, but I have one of their Montecristi hats - a go-to hat for me in the warmer weather.

Orlando seems to be a fashion oriented hatmaker, so his work might not appeal to everyone here; I think his hats are often very cool, even if not all his styles are what I'd wear personally.

Incidentally, the hat photography on his site is by "Missing in Action Lounger" Aureliano, who's posts of his great hat collection I miss every time I visit here. (Actually, he was the original owner of my W&W Panama).

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There are some sharp looking lids on the Worth and Worth site. I really like the Nomad ombre actually. I can see how fans of vintage might find the aesthetic a bit contrived, but Orlando seems to do a much better job than Fouquet.

g.durand

One Too Many
I agree. Some of the wide brimmed styles look cool to me, and I might wear them. I find more and more, though, that catalog photos are misleading, so I would want to try the hats on and see how they look, check out the workmanship, the felt, sweatband and liner quality, whether the liner is glued or sewn, etc. before forking over north of $500 for one. You can't tell much from the photos. Maybe the next time I'm in NY, which doesn't seem likely any time soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn