Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE ?

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Just out of being curious, what's the difference between the US NAVY and the US COAST GUARD goatskin G1 type flying jacket ? I noticed that US WINGS is selling two distinctly different jackets and Im sure both are fine nut whats the physical difference ? The Coast Guard version simply has USCG punched on the flap ? Anything else like pockets or perhaps the cut ?

I thought that the Coast Guard pilots and crew simply got the Navy issue jacket ?

Is this kinda like the Cockpit brand USS FORRESTAL G1 jacket ? Just marketing but never really existed ?

Deacon211

One Too Many
I think that the Coastie jacket is a Signature Series G-1 (their upper tier G-1) with handwarmer pockets and the USCG stamped in. The official G-1s still don't have the handwarmer pockets, but I think that the Coasties buy theirs directly from USW to get a little better jacket than the standard issue. Coasties used to just get G-1s like the Marines still do, but decided to buy open purchase at some point after the early '90s.

Having said that, the entirety of this opinion comes from watching Coast Guard Alaska and seeing some of those guys jackets. They could actually get them from anywhere.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Thanks Deacon !! So the USCG has hand warmers on the side. I double checked the USW site and your correct !! ( AS USUAL ! ) I'm learnin buddy !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW