Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cars

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A text from The New Forest MG car club with a request: "Will we be seeing you, your lady and your beautiful MG again this year?" The New Forest MG car club arrange a run through the forest, calling at interesting villages and fine watering holes, every year. Our mode of dress gets the phones and cameras clicking.

That text included a link to last year's run, clicking on it produced two photos, one of the car ending the run and one of us, with the car, dressed in our finery.
jessica 2022.JPG
MG Day 2022.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The car has had a spruce, wash and general clean up ready for tomorrow's classic car run. Did I post this previously? Apologies if I did, at the risk of repeating myself here's my tribute to my classic MG:

An Ode to Jessica.

An MG YB.

There was a time when motor cars were serious fun to drive,
back then they didn't have seat belts, which help you stay alive.
They had quirky things like running boards and trafficators too,
those were little semaphore arms that gave the direction true.

Jessica is just like that in two tone fancy colour,
an MG of classic vintage, a real beauty to discover.
There's nothing more that she prefers than to show off in the shining sun,
and be photographed by one and all: She smiles for everyone.

This classic car has survived the years and not been torn asunder,
not for her, the breaker's yard, her body parts to plunder.
Despite her years she's greatly loved, her lines to be admired,
and she can still put on a turn of speed to get the adrenaline fired.

Out on the highway she likes to go and keep up with the traffic.
But serious problems can arise, when all the cars are static.
The water in her engine boils and out the steam comes, hissing.
She doesn't have a temperature fan but it's not exactly missing.

It simply wasn't ever there like modern cars today,
there's so much missing with vintage cars, it's the price you have to pay.
But for all her lack of equipment and of technology,
there's something intangible that this car has, this lovely old MG.

It's that distinct smell of old car, of walnut and of leather,
a fragrance so captivating, it doesn't get much better.
Then there's her style and grace and beauty, and class in overload,
but her greatest asset is the fun you can have that comes by the bucketload.​

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Our tickets arrived today for an event at The British Motor Museum. Called The 100th Birthday Bash, it's one hundred years since MG came off the drawing board. It's not until the 30th of September so plenty of time to prepare. https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/mg-rally-100/ We have already had a number of texts from other MG owners asking if we are dressing the part. Come on, is the pope a catholic?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Vintage cars can have their moments and our MG had just that. On our way by invitation to a stately home where the classic meeting was being held, the car had a rear tyre blowout, and some!
Athelhampton 001.JPG
After getting the car into a more safe position, I checked out two major tyre companies that advertise a 24 hour call out service. Both companies had nothing more than a pre-recorded message, and although today was a Sunday, it was 10:30 am, not exactly in the middle of the night.

In frustration I phoned the fellow who services and repairs the car. Despite being about to leave to a function he made time to rescue us. He was with us in 20 minutes and had us away ten minutes later. Those big corporations could learn something if they took a leaf out his book. What a hero.

Studebaker Driver

One of the Regulars
For decades it has been a goal to drive a Model T Ford to the observatory on top of Mount Diablo in California and, finally, I was able to do it.

With a friend of 35 years we made it to the summit with no trouble at all. And, considering a Model T's imaginary brakes, it is just as noteworthy we made it back down with no trouble.
20230827_123857.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
1696159741564.png

This is known as Old Number One. There is some ambiguity as to when MG cars grew out of Morris Motors, but that's for another day. Yesterday's celebration was all about MG.

MG Cyberster unveiled.jpg

This is the latest MG sports car, The Cyberstar, built in Thailand where, they drive on the left, note the steering wheel is on the right.

Petrol-Head.jpg

Arkell's Brewery have created a limited-edition beer to mark the centenary of M.G. New beer 'Petrol Head' is a 4.5% ABV pale beer brewed using traditional Norwegian Kveik yeast.

1696160398910.png

MG Shirt 001.JPG MG Shirt 003.JPG

My shirt attracted much attention, but that red hat stayed at home. I might need a few bottles of that petrol head beer before putting that on.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Classic as always, red hat or not, and it looks like the weather was cooperative.

I can't help but think the rebel in you (or Ms. Tina) may have wanted to take this one for a few laps around the track!
540580-91b67e66813a8736d8d47ba9ea2e82f2.jpg
View attachment 549577

This is known as Old Number One. There is some ambiguity as to when MG cars grew out of Morris Motors, but that's for another day. Yesterday's celebration was all about MG.

View attachment 549578

This is the latest MG sports car, The Cyberstar, built in Thailand where, they drive on the left, note the steering wheel is on the right.

View attachment 549580

Arkell's Brewery have created a limited-edition beer to mark the centenary of M.G. New beer 'Petrol Head' is a 4.5% ABV pale beer brewed using traditional Norwegian Kveik yeast.

View attachment 549582

View attachment 549583 View attachment 549584

My shirt attracted much attention, but that red hat stayed at home. I might need a few bottles of that petrol head beer before putting that on.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Classic as always, red hat or not, and it looks like the weather was cooperative.

I can't help but think the rebel in you (or Ms. Tina) may have wanted to take this one for a few laps around the track!
Oh dear, I have a misspent youth admission, it's taken quite a search to find it too.

Jaguar E-Type.jpg

It's a Jaguar E-Type and like this one, it was a series two. The only photos that I have of it are on celluloid in an album in the loft, but it was this model and the same colour. Don't ever buy a classic car with wire wheels, cleaning and polishing them takes hours, then one journey later and they are filthy again.

Would I buy that MG Cyberstar? Not at my age but I would suggest that owners look after the car. Had I kept that E-Type it would be worth a pension now, but at least I didn't lose anything on the sale, spares and repairs however were a mortgage.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Quite possibly the ultimate classic automobile!

Oh dear, I have a misspent youth admission, it's taken quite a search to find it too.

View attachment 549697

It's a Jaguar E-Type and like this one, it was a series two. The only photos that I have of it are on celluloid in an album in the loft, but it was this model and the same colour. Don't ever buy a classic car with wire wheels, cleaning and polishing them takes hours, then one journey later and they are filthy again.

Would I buy that MG Cyberstar? Not at my age but I would suggest that owners look after the car. Had I kept that E-Type it would be worth a pension now, but at least I didn't lose anything on the sale, spares and repairs however were a mortgage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner