Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cars

jeep44

One of the Regulars
My '41 Dodge truck ran very briefly tonight for the first time in maybe 20 years or more. A very encouraging step forward in my long-delayed efforts to bring it back from a derelict hulk. Hopefully, by the end of the summer, I will be driving it around. Can't beat those 230 flatheads!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well Jeep, that's great news! I know I'm always excited to hear an old motor come to life even if it is for just a moment!

Even though these things are objects, I feel they do have a soul of some sort... I know my '46 sure dose! She's a sweet heart but, some times she needs a little “pep talk” when I'd like her to start! lol

=WR=

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I was just spraying starting fluid in the carb while cranking the starter -that's why it only ran briefly.Now that I know it will run, I can move on to other areas-like completing the exhaust sytem, piping in the fuel line,and putting on the brake lines. There is a LOT to do to this truck. When I got it, it had basically been abandoned for around 20 years,and it had been sitting outside. Squirrels had chewed up all the wires,and stuffed the interior,and the exhaust pipe full of acorns. The valves were rusted into the valve guides,and the manifolds were a rusted mess also. I've been accumulating new parts over the past few years for it-until I got another good windshield frame (veeeerrry difficult and expensive to find now),I didn't want to get too far into it. I really expect this truck is going to be my pickup truck for all the times I need to haul stuff here and there.

magneto

Practically Family
Appreciation

Just want to say I love this thread and seeing everyone's gorgeous automobiles! Myself, I've only owned a circa-1963 vehicle (which I did drive every day & on many long roadtrips) but at least I have never driven a car younger than I am :)

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
I am on the hunt for an affordable late 30's or 40's auto that has not been street-rodded and painted a hideous color. Any tips on good sites that list them?

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I got my '39 Ford

Hannigan Reilly said:
I am on the hunt for an affordable late 30's or 40's auto that has not been street-rodded and painted a hideous color. Any tips on good sites that list them?

...off of ebay, believe it or not. I bought it about four years ago and was very pleased with both the transaction and the car. It was a fair price and a good car. It needs a little work, but it runs like a dream and looks good. I had it out on the road yesterday.

There's also Hemmings (http://www.hemmings.com/). Their web site has all the listings that appear in their print magazine, but the web listings are a few weeks behind the print version.

One of my favorite sites is Pre-War Car (http://www.prewarcar.com/). They have a lot of listings as well as some good articles. The prices here tend to be a bit higher, but that's because most of the cars are premium specimens. They are often being sold off by museums.

The nice thing about ebay is that for cars that aren't as much in demand, the prices tend to stay quite a bit lower than in straight classified listings. And if you're willing to wait and watch, you will eventually see exactly the car you want. If you do go the ebay route, you should probably use an escrow service.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
One more thing

If you have a pretty good idea of what kind of car you're interested in. join a club. Most good-sized metro areas (and a lot of smaller areas) will have general interest old car clubs. Where you really do well though, is with a specialized group. Often, the members will be able to help you find cars and parts that don't necessarily appear "on the market." They are also a wonderful source of information. Join the national club for the make you're interested in (such as the "Early Ford V8 Club" in my case). Even if there is no formal local chapter, there may be members in the area that meet informally. A friend of mine is a Packard guy and he finds a lot of stuff through his club friends.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
39 snapshot #1

Here is a photo of myself with The Powerhouse Express in front of my mother's house in 1939.

mm-39-bw.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mmmmm, could be!:p I talked to a guy here in town and he told me of a place right here really close to work that does good work, I'm yet to go over there and show them my car. I was told that these guys are very reasonable so, lets hope I can get my car done this year!

=WR=

Irena

One of the Regulars
I have a question, and this thread seems to have plenty of knowledgeable people following it.

I'd like to learn about the workings of vintage automobiles, in preparation for someday getting one of my own. I plan to do all the maintainence myself, and since I'll be stuck in bed for the first part of the summer (hip remodeling) I'm going to need something to occupy my time. Any suggestions for books and/or websites? Thank you!

Wild Root

Gone Home
There are lost of books! Also, check out P-15/D-24... it's a MoPar web site of guys who fix and restore 1946-1949 Plymouth and Dodge autos... I've learned a lot from those guys! Also, try and run a search on the subject, you'll find lots of stuff!

=WR=

I like vintage motor bikes too, tell me about your Harley!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh dear, I'm sure you could have posted that auction before it ended... any member here who could bid on this would have my complete respect! $55,000. is a drop in the bucket for three perfect cars such as these!!! That's why they didn't sell, I'm sure the man had at least 100,000. on it if not more... A fleet of cars such as these is truly an amazing thing!!! I hope a museum ends up with them or something... hate to see these cars end up in the wrong hands!!!

If I had a million dollars, I know just what I'd do, I'd buy these cars!

=WR=

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Oh dear, I'm sure you could have posted that auction before it ended... any member here who could bid on this would have my complete respect! $55,000. is a drop in the bucket for three perfect cars such as these!!! That's why they didn't sell, I'm sure the man had at least 100,000. on it if not more... A fleet of cars such as these is truly an amazing thing!!! I hope a museum ends up with them or something... hate to see these cars end up in the wrong hands!!!

If I had a million dollars, I know just what I'd do, I'd buy these cars!

=WR=

Just the hearse alone is worth double the price.....paneled hearses didn't last and are super rare now.....

yea...even if i had 100k.....I would bid....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff