Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage and braces

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just got braces (for the 2nd time) on my lower teeth (lowers only, thank god you can't see them!), but it got me to thinking that I've never seen vintage photos of gals with braces. When did they start being used, and have you ever seen any vintage photos of metal-mouths? lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
KittyT said:
I just got braces (for the 2nd time) on my lower teeth (lowers only, thank god you can't see them!), but it got me to thinking that I've never seen vintage photos of gals with braces. When did they start being used, and have you ever seen any vintage photos of metal-mouths? lol

They were around in the '30s, but they were very very expensive -- they might cost over a thousand dollars, at a time when the average working-class family was happy if they made $1500 a year, and there was no such thing as dental insurance. The idea of braces as a rite-of-passage for the average pre-teen didn't really come into fashion until the sixties.

I've never seen a picture, but that's not surprising -- the early hardware was said to be very industrial-looking, and if you had it in your mouth, you wouldn't likely be smiling....

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
My daughter is into horses and she also wears braces.
one of her favorite movies is National Velvet, we were watching it the other night and I noticed that Elizabeth Taylor had a removable type of orthodontic appliance that her character wore. also, this film although released in 1944, took place in the 20's and after some research I found that MGM actually pulled 2 of Taylors baby teeth just so she could wear the appliance[bad]

So I guess braces do gone back although, they have gotten better looking now. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn