Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thirsty old cal - how to nourish?

andyone

A-List Customer
I recently got this nice red label Cal from @hieu
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/cal-red-label-straight-zip-sz-44.114023/

The sleeves are fine, but the front feels a bit dry and looks dull/greyish. I would give it some care.
I have at home: Peccard, Obenauf LP, Bick nr. 4 and saphir renovateur.

What would you use?

1DC2793C-F91D-405E-B156-A26F33E80A2B.jpeg
8E5C89F1-9C62-4177-A859-C3154F0C017E.jpeg
F5D5A854-1C73-40BD-8341-A49B9FE34202.jpeg

Al 916

One Too Many
That looks great!

Literally just been outside treating mine with a light coat of Saphir neutral Creme.
It was 'elephant skin' (I have full respect for elephants, however it was also a bit dry).

First I gave it a wipe over with a damp micro cloth then it has had a couple of turns with Obie's (I favour the heavy) it lapped that up.

I will leave it overnight to enjoy the wax and other nourishment from the Saphir and then give it a good brushing to give it a slight sheen.

I have had pretty good results with this method (mainly gleaned from one of our vintage Masters Marc).

Love to see some 'after' pics when you have finished your's

Last edited:
Use something liquid-y and not petroleum based as it is a useless gunk. Oils are the best for this kind of leather. Don't use wax-based conditioners, they just clog up the surface of the jacket. Silicone is good as it won't react with leather, while penetrating deep & lasting a long time.

And whatever you are going to use, use a lot of it. All leather conditioners are useless when applied sparingly which, ironically, is what everyone will recommend you to do. It's not. You want to lube the fibers all the way throughout the entire leather so they won't crack, not just slap a few drops of whatever over the surface & marvel at how shiny and darkened it had become as that won't do sh1t.

Al 916

One Too Many
For treating dry jackets, I have had good success with Picard. Obenauf LP is too heavy for my tastes.
I have found Picard great for a good slaver after a wash n dry, however on this one and the last few I have gone Obie's liquid and then heavy (but a light use). No doubt it depends on ones personal pref (and the hide's).

I just gave it a good brushing after the Saphir and got to:

1000013197-01.jpeg
1000013198-02.jpeg

Kunja

Practically Family
I also like Pecard, but thought I was in the minority. Seems like others like it as well. Pecard has really been helpful for me on several older drying jackets. Good luck!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I use Lexol on all my jackets, think it is oil-based? I no longer use wax based conditioners; I had jackets squeaking afterwards, I‘m assuming because of friction of the wax based finish.

I have found Picard great for a good slaver after a wash n dry, however on this one and the last few I have gone Obie's liquid and then heavy (but a light use). No doubt it depends on ones personal pref (and the hide's).

I just gave it a good brushing after the Saphir and got to:

View attachment 609594 View attachment 609595

Brushing is the most important part in keeping your leather healthy, much more so than slimy concoctions.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have had good luck with Urad Tenderly - and several coats of it.
Recenlty found "Horseman's One Step" which is so very similar but sold at local farm supply stores near me and this has worked wondered on my 60-year old Bates.
For re-hydration I prefer a cream-based product to a "semi-solid".
And 100% brushing it in is highly valuable too.

I have Picard's but only use it for "maintance" not "re-hydration"

Urad Tenderly: https://urad4leather.com/en-us/prod...MIpbvnjdrghQMVJjMIBR2MCAH3EAAYASAAEgIYdfD_BwE

Horseman's One Step:
https://absorbine.com/products/hors...MI5K_KodrghQMVo0X_AR09kwh3EAAYASAAEgJkDvD_BwE

I cleaned it with a damp towel.
Then I used obenauf leather oil I also had lying around. It took half the bootle and just soaked it up… unfortunately I didn’t have more oil, so I also used Bick Nr. 4.
Will get more of that oil and repeat that.

View attachment 609740 View attachment 609741

Lately I’ve used Blackrock and really like it. Also have Obie, LeatherBalm, Lexol and another fav- Dr. Jackson’s Hide Rejuvenator.

I’ve mixed and matched like you did on super dry jackets. I’d let it dry and then decide if more is needed. Usually I also start with Obie and then move to Dr. J’s.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
It's looking better. However also I have found giving a few days or even a week or two between applications is beneficial.
It's also helpful to leave it outside, hung up where it gets some sun to help it take in the conditioner, and "air out" odors, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot