Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pocket Phone- Cell Phones

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'm actually at the point of getting a new phone right now (my Verizon contract is up for renewal), so I truly appreciate this thread. I currently have an LG VX6100. It's OK, but why do they put those stupid buttons on the side of every phone?! I'd much prefer to keep it in my pocket, but then I get pictures of lint, the ringer volume is turned up or down, and it is constantly being put into Driving Mode, which is the second most obnoxious thing ever invented. If they're in my pants pocket, every time I lean over or sit down or anyhting, I can hear the damn thing beeping. Isn't the point of having a flip phone to keep from making calls and stuff accidently?

Having said that, my dad's Samsung (a920) has the exterior buttons disabled when the phone is closed. Of course, Verizon doesn't offer that phone. OK, I'll go with the a930, except that everyone that has it complains about one thing: the button on the side that activates the speakerphone. Apparently if you even bump the button it turns the speakerphone on, even in mid-conversation! That's what I want, my cell phone suddenly blaring in my ear without warning. Why can we get cell phones that have TVs in them, but I can't disable those stupid buttons? I actually tried to pry the buttons off the side of my LG with a knife, but it didn't work. I thought about grinding them down with my Dremel, too!

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
I'm actually at the point of getting a new phone right now (my Verizon contract is up for renewal), so I truly appreciate this thread. I currently have an LG VX6100. It's OK, but why do they put those stupid buttons on the side of every phone?! I'd much prefer to keep it in my pocket, but then I get pictures of lint, the ringer volume is turned up or down, and it is constantly being put into Driving Mode, which is the second most obnoxious thing ever invented. If they're in my pants pocket, every time I lean over or sit down or anyhting, I can hear the damn thing beeping. Isn't the point of having a flip phone to keep from making calls and stuff accidently?

Having said that, my dad's Samsung (a920) has the exterior buttons disabled when the phone is closed. Of course, Verizon doesn't offer that phone. OK, I'll go with the a930, except that everyone that has it complains about one thing: the button on the side that activates the speakerphone. Apparently if you even bump the button it turns the speakerphone on, even in mid-conversation! That's what I want, my cell phone suddenly blaring in my ear without warning. Why can we get cell phones that have TVs in them, but I can't disable those stupid buttons? I actually tried to pry the buttons off the side of my LG with a knife, but it didn't work. I thought about grinding them down with my Dremel, too!

I’m not to happy with Verizon’s phone line up. They have very few high end options other then Motorola! Motorola be damned. I’m going to agree with opinions on the chocolate. Those ‘touch sensitive’ buttons do NOT work. No matter what sensitivity you put them at.

Can I suggest going TO the Verizon store and taking a serious look at the LG 8300? I got one for my GF and she loves it. The buttons are not super sensitive and even the side buttons lock down.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Vermifuge said:
Can I suggest going TO the Verizon store and taking a serious look at the LG 8300? I got one for my GF and she loves it. The buttons are not super sensitive and even the side buttons lock down.
That's the back up phone that I am considering. The problem is, they operate just like my VX6100! I downloaded the 8300 manual, and according to it, you can set the Voice Commands to "Always Off." So I called the LG Tech Support and asked if that disabled the stupid side button, but she said no, nothing disables any of the side buttons! So like it or not, you will have the convenience of Voice Commands! :mad: So now I just have to decide if I want basically the same phone as I have now, or if I want the speakerphone of the Samsung goin off in my ear... I'm actually leaning toward the 8300.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
That's the back up phone that I am considering. The problem is, they operate just like my VX6100! I downloaded the 8300 manual, and according to it, you can set the Voice Commands to "Always Off." So I called the LG Tech Support and asked if that disabled the stupid side button, but she said no, nothing disables any of the side buttons! So like it or not, you will have the convenience of Voice Commands! :mad: So now I just have to decide if I want basically the same phone as I have now, or if I want the speakerphone of the Samsung goin off in my ear... I'm actually leaning toward the 8300.

I'm sure my GFs buttons [edit]on the phone[/edit] don't work when the folder is closed AND you can only activate the speaker phone by pressing the giant button inside the folder in the middle of the keypad.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
Oh how I love not being able to be reached anywhere at anytime.:)

I couldn't agree more on that!

Friends and parents from time to time will try to persuade me into carrying one of those shiny annoying will-do-anything-but-make-a-call plastic blobs, but always to no avail. I always say If grandpa got along well without one, so can I! (as long as there are public payphones, at least)

The closest thing I'll carry is a Dick Tracy wrist phone, and ONLY if it has a specific, spiffy, sparkling, streamlined art deco design... I think I designed such a thing once.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
CharlieH. said:
I couldn't agree more on that!

Friends and parents from time to time will try to persuade me into carrying one of those shiny annoying will-do-anything-but-make-a-call plastic blobs, but always to no avail. I always say If grandpa got along well without one, so can I! (as long as there are public payphones, at least)

The closest thing I'll carry is a Dick Tracy wrist phone, and ONLY if it has a specific, spiffy, sparkling, streamlined art deco design... I think I designed such a thing once.

I don’t know what it is like where you live but out here in the bay area the pay phone is nearly extinct. Sadly these phones were being used to sell drugs and were often abused in other ways. The attracted a bad element for most local business. Considering it’s up to the business to fund that pay phone installation it’s not surprising most of them have been removed.

I like being in contact. And in fact I get a better deal on my cell phones then I was on my traditional land line, so I canceled it.

There are times however that I yearn for the privacy a phone booth used to provide. Not to mention it allowed me to keep my conversations annoyance to others down.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Vermifuge said:
I don’t know what it is like where you live but out here in the bay area the pay phone is nearly extinct. Sadly these phones were being used to sell drugs and were often abused in other ways. The attracted a bad element for most local business. Considering it’s up to the business to fund that pay phone installation it’s not surprising most of them have been removed.

No joke...take into consideration that most pay phones are abused beyond belief and they fall even father out of favor...the last one I used suffered the indignity of some jerk spreading ketchup all over the keypad! I didn't want to use it, but I had to make a call and didn't have much choice, considering the next pay phone was likely 5 miles away.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
You could get one of these

you can use it to answer your mobile up to 30' away

bluetooth_retro_handset_new.jpg

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Get Smart

The phone that I want is Maxwell Smart's shoe phone. Just think of all the looks you will get for talking into your shoe. I would also not mind having a wrist phone. They came out with a wrist 2-way radio with 2 or 5 mile range a few years ago. Not bad looking but still a little to bulky.

GG

I tell everyone NOT to get a bluetooth earpiece. I don't believe they've done enough research into the possibility of long-term side effects. As it is, we still don't know what the proximity of the field telephone is doing to our brain cells. A morbid thought, but one that's on my mind.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
I tell everyone NOT to get a bluetooth earpiece. I don't believe they've done enough research into the possibility of long-term side effects. As it is, we still don't know what the proximity of the field telephone is doing to our brain cells. A morbid thought, but one that's on my mind.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Looks grim. Most people alive to hear the first commercial radio brodcast back in 1920 are dead now :|

I consult for a man who is involved with a legal battle in a small farming community in Italy. Because the community is high in the mountains, wireless providers began to erect an inordinate amount of towers. From what I recall, they started going up about ten years ago. Well, in the last few years, deformed calfs were being born and they were, unfortunately, followed by deformed children. The farmers also began to develop lesions about their bodies and quite a few of them had to have limbs amputated. More than a few people have died of 'something' as the hospitals are reporting.

Sounds like an urban legend, I know. But I do personally know the man who is trying to get these towers torn down.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
I consult for a man who is involved with a legal battle in a small farming community in Italy. Because the community is high in the mountains, wireless providers began to erect an inordinate amount of towers. From what I recall, they started going up about ten years ago. Well, in the last few years, deformed calfs were being born and they were, unfortunately, followed by deformed children. The farmers also began to develop lesions about their bodies and quite a few of them had to have limbs amputated. More than a few people have died of 'something' as the hospitals are reporting.

Sounds like an urban legend, I know. But I do personally know the man who is trying to get these towers torn down.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I’m curious how you define “inordinate”

I have friends and family who work in the telecommunications industry. Do you realized just how dense the wireless coverage is in a typical large city? There are literally dozens (in not hundreds) of transmitters on your average city block. Now I’m not going to deny that a city like San Francisco or Oakland has its share of mutant. However, not to the degree you are suggesting.

I assume there is a biological contaminant in the area (possibly contributed by the construction of said towers) or perhaps the high voltage requited to power these transmitters as in unusually close proximity.

Just some food for thought. I wish you well in both you case and your friends health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn