Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most amazing newpaper front page I've seen...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
It's unbelievable Hadley that he had that effect on people.

It is Lincsong! On his death, three women committed suicide, to be followed by others both in America and in Europe."His appeal to women was fairly obvious and at the time fairly unmentionable. Certainly in the cinemas of every city where his films were shown women fainted that's why nurses were hired to be on hand for any outbreak of hysteria or the vapours." :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
rudicar1.jpg

And his influence extended even to other planes of existance.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
It is Lincsong! On his death, three women committed suicide, to be followed by others both in America and in Europe."His appeal to women was fairly obvious and at the time fairly unmentionable. Certainly in the cinemas of every city where his films were shown women fainted that's why nurses were hired to be on hand for any outbreak of hysteria or the vapours." :)
My Dad's younger brother's middle name is Valentino, and I just have to wonder whether or not my Grandmother had a crush on Rudolph, thus him being given that name. :)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I just saw a program on the conspirators involved in his assasination.
According to an interview I read, the wound back then was almost 100% fatal.
If Booth had been a very short distance further back, it wouldn't have been as bad, but at point blank it doesn't take a Dr to tell us how it would turn out.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
rudicar1.jpg

And his influence extended even to other planes of existance.

Absolutely! Reaching beyond the grave to show Rudolph Valentino meeting Enrico Caruso in heaven, as Valentino's widow reported to the Graphic after a seance. :D ( and what a dramatic boost in circulation for The New York Evening Graphic that was! ;)lol)

Absolutely! Reaching beyond the grave to show Rudolph Valentino meeting Enrico Caruso in heaven, as Valentino's widow reported to the Graphic after a seance. :D ( and what a dramatic boost in circulation for The New York Evening Graphic that was! ;)lol)

Somehow I can picture Rudy doing a duet with Caruso. This song, along with El Relicario was a test pressing recorded by Valentino for Brunswick in 1923 but it wasn't released until after his death.

[video=youtube;L99-7Qw03rw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L99-7Qw03rw&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I just saw a program on the conspirators involved in his assasination.
According to an interview I read, the wound back then was almost 100% fatal.
If Booth had been a very short distance further back, it wouldn't have been as bad, but at point blank it doesn't take a Dr to tell us how it would turn out.

In a documentary I remember watching, the consensus of modern doctors was that the gunshot wound would've been fatal even with modern medicine and surgery. The ability to remove the bullet successfully would've been almost impossible. Chances were, he would've died anyway. So back then, they wouldn't have had a chance, as hard as they tried.

Connery

One Too Many
Ethel and Julius Rosenberg execution for passing atomic secrets to the Soviet Union.

10315mf8ad278b-18e7-4d3f-97cc-adc210fab376.jpg

17rosenberg-650a.jpg

Ethel and Julius Rosenberg’s sons, Robert, 6, left, and Michael, 10, looking at a 1953 newspaper.

june-19-1953-spies-julius-and-ethel-rosenberg-are-executed-via-electric-chair-after-being-convicted-of-espionage-on-behalf-of-the-soviet-union.jpg

Nobert

Practically Family
So that's the inspiration for Double Indemnity. The picture is a bit gruesome and taking it downright immoral, in my view.

I believe the Daily News was one of the earlier of the more lurid tabloids that pushed the envelope of sensationalism beyond where Pulitzer and Hearst had left it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The News imitated the Daily Mirror in London, and was in turn imitated by Hearst's Daily Mirror in New York, which was in turn imitated by MacFadden's Evening Graphic. So you can see the unfortunate trend setting in.

Best Daily News front page ever, if you're a baseball fan:

2643169522_a899cd4822.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tex rider