Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
borsoalessandria2_zps0cd06390.jpg

taupe

Nice enough hat. Wish there was more brim, only 2 5/8
Question? Did you mean 2 and 3/8?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
borsoalessandria2_zps0cd06390.jpg

taupe

Nice enough hat. Wish there was more brim, only 2 5/8

Thanks Tommy ! I didn't think I'd gotten any replies . That looks Nice ! Sweet Hat ! I need to get my brim {Bracket} , I haven't ever gone with a 2 1/2" before , but ones on the way . Robert at Bencraft said Taupe was sorta Green , and gave me where to get an accurate (more accurate) look . He's really Helpful . But that looks Much Better than what I saw . I like the Crown on yours , have you measured it ? 5 1/2" seems skippy to me ; yours looks tailer . (going by Strat crown height - 5 1/2") I appreciate the response ! Thanks again !

I finally, respectfully, request permission to enter the Brotherhood. Recent estate sale find. And a plea to those more knowledgeable than I for more info and help with dating, please.
Picture29.jpg
Picture20.jpg
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture27.jpg
Picture33.jpg

From what I can tell from Google Translate, Ghiaccio has something to do with ice (the color?), and Ludokla translates to...Ludokla.

tommyK

One Too Many
Nice Fruno! Aren't those thin ribbon Borso's sweet. So thin and light.

I think that logo, inside tag and the corrugated thingy place it post WW2 up into the sixty's. Similar to the three I have, I usually say 50's. Others may be able to narrow it down further

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I finally, respectfully, request permission to enter the Brotherhood. Recent estate sale find. And a plea to those more knowledgeable than I for more info and help with dating, please.
View attachment 48423 View attachment 48424 View attachment 48425 View attachment 48426 View attachment 48427 View attachment 48428

From what I can tell from Google Translate, Ghiaccio has something to do with ice (the color?), and Ludokla translates to...Ludokla.
Love it! Great find. My best guess is late 1950s. GO BUY A LOTTO TICKET! This is obviously your lucky day!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 48423 View attachment 48424 View attachment 48425 View attachment 48426 View attachment 48427 View attachment 48428

fantastic, superb, wonderful, and any other adjective of the like

just killer Jim ... absolutely killer

Indeed, and I yield to Your expertise in these matters. So do you think Fruno's or my thin ribbon Borsalino's are possibly pre WW2? That would surprise me but it wouldn't be unwelcome news
My guess would be early 1950s (it's not late 1950s or later) but it could be earlier. The corrugated vents were used up to the closing of the old factory in the early 1980s.

I went back and did some searching in this thread and I found this old Stiff Felt that belongs to Sue (Billysmom) with the corrugated vents. This hat is at least 1930s maybe older.

DSCF1824.jpg

DSCF1818.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/page-44#post-924268

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Interesting that you mention the corrugated thing hanging in there till the 80's. My last thin ribbon came to me sold for the original owner who seemed to recall buying it in the 60's or 70's (I kind of thought he might be mistaken). If it's 70's I've got to give Borsalino credit for keeping the quality right up till the end.

The details if it helps
2016-04-18%2010.12.55_zpsyqz5zhlb.jpg

2016-04-18%2010.12.28_zpsbircfjrp.jpg

40Cal

One Too Many

That's a beauty Jim! I have two with white liner labels and one with the blue liner label like yours and was hoping the color might correspond to a date. The white label hats have the corrugated sweat and the blue doesn't. I assumed the white label was 1940's and the blue '50's. I see yours has the corrugated sweat.... now I have no idea as to how to date these... haha.

Interesting that you mention the corrugated thing hanging in there till the 80's. My last thin ribbon came to me sold for the original owner who seemed to recall buying it in the 60's or 70's (I kind of thought he might be mistaken). If it's 70's I've got to give Borsalino credit for keeping the quality right up till the end.

The details if it helps
2016-04-18%2010.12.55_zpsyqz5zhlb.jpg

2016-04-18%2010.12.28_zpsbircfjrp.jpg
My guess on this one is mid to late 1950s. It doesn't have the Borsalino on the side of the paper label so I don't think it's earlier but you never know.

Here is a German market Borsalino that was made in 1979 (based on the paper label) with a corrugated vent.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/#entry256

That's a beauty Jim! I have two with white liner labels and one with the blue liner label like yours and was hoping the color might correspond to a date. The white label hats have the corrugated sweat and the blue doesn't. I assumed the white label was 1940's and the blue '50's. I see yours has the corrugated sweat.... now I have no idea as to how to date these... haha.

It's very difficult to date Borsalino hats from the 1930s into the 1950s early 1960s. I have some German market ones that are date stamped and there are some others here. Also some with OPS (Korean Conflict) tags.

I think it's fairly easy to tell that this Echter Borsalino is pre WWII. It has a date stamp (05/18/1929) on sweatband but the components, construction, and form also give it away (which isn't always the case).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1198

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe