Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

six degrees

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
so what is "one degree"? someone you know, or someone that you know knows?

depending, i am one or two degrees from gwen stefani. my next door neighbor/childhood babysitter was best friends with her in high school.

i'm also two or three degrees away from writer michelle tea, by more intimate means ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ShooShooBaby said:
so what is "one degree"? someone you know, or someone that you know knows?
If you have met someone who has met X, that is two degrees of separation, so your X number is 2.
If you yourself have met X, that is one degree of separation. Your X number is 1.

If you are X, your X number, of course, is 0, because you can't be separated from yourself.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
At the age of 16 I was, to my protest, whisked from Brooklyn and, for six years, imprisoned in a small Connecticut town. My father had retired from the FDNY and went to work as a social director at a resort. At the last QM, I met the FL's Floatin' Joe and it turned out he lived in the same small town. He knew my father and I went to school with his cousin.

One of the theories about the six degrees is that it is easier to be linked to famous people than to the rest of us slobs. By one or two links, I 'm sure all of us are connected to the President, but how many can claim a connection to Roger Kaputnik of Camden, New Jersey?

Regards,

Senator Jack

I wonder how many people know who Roger Kaputnik is?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
two degrees:

Stephen Hawking
The Nobel laureates: David Baltimore, Rudolph Marcus, Murray Gell-Mann, Richard Feynman, Linus Pauling...etc...

not that most people know all of these....

D...whose mother works at a famous sciency university...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
We are all connected to each other here. So therefore, all of us are more than likely, at least 2 degrees from a famous person I think. My dad lived near Bob Hope when he was a kid. In fact,the story goes that Bob Hope was his neighborhood paperboy. So that puts me 2 degrees away from Bob Hope, and everyone here is automatically at 3 degrees...[huh]

Brooksie

One Too Many
My Great Grandma and the golden era movie actress Donna Reed were cousin's (they have both passed on now).

My friend Jody - her dad and Harrison Ford used to be roomates.

My friend Jody was a friend of Christina Applegate while they were in highschool.

My childhood friend Tracy Stuthers is Sally Struthers Cousin.

If I think of anymore I will post them.

LB

Brooksie

One Too Many
I thought of one more, I was a camp councelor (at outdoor school, when I was in highschool) and one ot the other people who was a camp councelor - he played a part in the movie: Stand BY Me
he was the kid in the pie eating contest in the movie and he was the winner and he ate so much pie that he started throwing up and then everybody else started throwing up. Would'nt you just love to be known as the kid who threw up blueberry pie forever! Not! It would have been fun to be in a movie with River Pheonix (R.I.P.) however.

LB

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
We are all connected to each other here. So therefore, all of us are more than likely, at least 2 degrees from a famous person I think. My dad lived near Bob Hope when he was a kid. In fact,the story goes that Bob Hope was his neighborhood paperboy. So that puts me 2 degrees away from Bob Hope, and everyone here is automatically at 3 degrees...[huh]

Hey! I finally get to (vicariously) meet Bob Hope! I always wanted to! (3)

And, in turn, you've now (almost as vicariously) met Jay Leno! (2)

Lee

:D

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
A co-worker was roommates with Jennifer Gardner during college, so I am pretty much 3 or 4 degrees of seperation from most hollywood stars. So I've got that going for me.

As a young Boy Scout, I met Charlton Heston, Presidential Candidate Ronald Reagan, and President gerald Ford during a campaign stop, during which I and several other young Scouts served as decoration for speeches they made about America.

I ran into Steven Spielberg in an airport bathroom, and mustered enough guts to say that I admired his work while we stood side by side at the sinks.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
i'm also two or three degrees away from writer michelle tea, by more intimate means ;)

Hahah, I love Michelle Tea! I saw her speak at my college last year, she's a great writer.

The only two I can think of right now are:

Yoko Ono - 4
Greg Graffin (the singer for Bad Religion) - 2 (he was my friend's professor!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads