Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LD, I love the new 30's dress. It's nice to see how flattering 30's can look on curvier figures. I just might have to give 30's designs a try.

Amy, that pink skulls dress is your best yet! It's fantastic!.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Here's the back pleat blouse I made tonight...

l_68f35b28f46a4f03b0f74dab63d3557c.jpg

l_3bbd4389825246bda298c1d99fcc5c60.jpg

It's not the best -- I never made a blouse before. I was a bit confused with the collar, but I managed to hide most of my mistakes!! Also, this top fits me perfectly except across the boobs. I have that problem a lot and I hate it (I actually hate my big boobs :mad: ) Also, the high button placement makes my boobs look like they are too low LOL. I might ask my mum-in-law if she wants it when she comes to visit us.

From this:
880-1.jpg

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Amy Jeanne said:
Here's the back pleat blouse I made tonight...

l_68f35b28f46a4f03b0f74dab63d3557c.jpg

l_3bbd4389825246bda298c1d99fcc5c60.jpg

It's not the best -- I never made a blouse before. I was a bit confused with the collar, but I managed to hide most of my mistakes!! Also, this top fits me perfectly except across the boobs. I have that problem a lot and I hate it (I actually hate my big boobs :mad: ) Also, the high button placement makes my boobs look like they are too low LOL. I might ask my mum-in-law if she wants it when she comes to visit us.

From this:
880-1.jpg
Amy Jeanne, Love that top. I still can't get over how prolific you are. I'm jealous! It sounds like you need to do a full bust adjustment. I have the same problems with fit. This page will give you an idea how to do one: http://www.timmelfabrics.com/fullbustalteration.htm

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Thanks everyone! I spent all week making this:

l_2eef1ae770b845abb7561e290ed6c7bc.jpg

From this:

damngoodvintage_pattern.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I MADE THAT!!

I made a lot less hidden mistakes on this, too ;) One majour dislike about it is the thin, flimsy fabric I used. I'll def need to invest in a slip when I decide to wear this.

Also, size 20 is just a bit too big for me so when I made this I gave it a 1 inch seam allowance instead of 1/2 inch like the instructions called for. The result was a PERFECT fit with no after-the-fact alterations to be done. I learn something new every time.

There is one visable flaw. Maybe you can see it, maybe not!! ;)

Amy Jeanne said:
Thanks everyone! I spent all week making this:

l_2eef1ae770b845abb7561e290ed6c7bc.jpg

From this:

damngoodvintage_pattern.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I MADE THAT!!

I made a lot less hidden mistakes on this, too ;) One majour dislike about it is the thin, flimsy fabric I used. I'll def need to invest in a slip when I decide to wear this.

Also, size 20 is just a bit too big for me so when I made this I gave it a 1 inch seam allowance instead of 1/2 inch like the instructions called for. The result was a PERFECT fit with no after-the-fact alterations to be done. I learn something new every time.

There is one visable flaw. Maybe you can see it, maybe not!! ;)

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I LOVE IT!!!!! Great job!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Great work, Amy! That's the biggest complaint I have against gingham. Most of the stuff in stores today is just too thin.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well done! It just goes to show the best way to learn to sew is to jump right in and *do* it.

You'll be very glad the fabric's light come summer -- I made a "Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz" costume for a friend a couple of years ago, using that exact same sort of gingham. She wore it during an outdoor event when it was close to 90 degrees, and was the only one in the group who wasn't sweltering.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh GG, you always look divine!

I made another set of jimjams. These are cotton flannel but the lighter part is a crappy polyester I bought and decided to use up. So, in order to make myself wear it, I putt some cool details on it (bound button holes) so Id wear it. ITs comfy and warm, but a bit staticky.

I based the top off of this pattern.

HollywoodPattern1550.jpg
P1010004.jpg
P1010008.jpg

The bottoms are just draw string. So soft and comfy....

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
That looks fab! And oh-so-comfy, too.

I feel like I'm taking over the thread here lol , but I made this last night:

l_b9ddd87fbb404647bdc2653360ed2dbf.jpg

From this:

1937-1.jpg

Which is also the pink skully dress I posted a few pages back! This is the more "formal" material. And I did MUCH better on this one with the details and the zipper. I also did my trick with sewing it with a 1 inch seam allowance and it fits much better with no twisting. The material is thicker and a bit stiffer than the pink skulls (which felt like a nightgown the day I wore it to work :eek: ) I also gave it a very long hem to give it an earlier 30s look!! I tried to get a picture of the cute pleats on the sleeves, but it didn't turn out. Instead, you can see the fabric detail:

L1020679.jpg

Seriously -- I have 3 unmade patterns here at home, 12 on the way :eek: , and no fabric at the moment to make a darn thing! Icy roads kept me from going to Jo-Ann's today :mad: I'll probably not post here for a little while!!!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
I haven't been doing a lot of sewing lately, too busy with the house but last week I I made a christmas skirt and with the leftover material from my overalls I made the pant's from the same pattern.
100_1455.jpg

100_1445.jpg

I adore the skirt and am in love with those pants. What pattern did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
l_b9ddd87fbb404647bdc2653360ed2dbf.jpg

Seriously -- I have 3 unmade patterns here at home, 12 on the way :eek: , and no fabric at the moment to make a darn thing! Icy roads kept me from going to Jo-Ann's today :mad: I'll probably not post here for a little while!!!

That is beautiful, I love it! Become friends with fabric.com! Unless I get a wild hair to sew something RIGHT NOW, I buy most of my fabric from fabric.com. Shipping is fast and in the 5 or so years I've been buying from them, I've only had one disappointment.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
What would you say was the best tactic for a tactile shopper when shopping for fabric online? I buy everything by feel. I can look at something form across the room and know what it is made of - but until I touch it I don't know if I will like it. Even fabrics of the same material can feel different. So I have been thinking of trying some online sources for fabric, but am afraid I will have problems not touching the fabrics. Any thoughts/advice?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Mrs. Merl said:
What would you say was the best tactic for a tactile shopper when shopping for fabric online? I buy everything by feel. I can look at something form across the room and know what it is made of - but until I touch it I don't know if I will like it. Even fabrics of the same material can feel different. So I have been thinking of trying some online sources for fabric, but am afraid I will have problems not touching the fabrics. Any thoughts/advice?
Start off with things you know, like specific calico designers or specific weights of linen. Also, many of the online shops offer swatches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff