Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Casual Clothes

fats

New in Town
Your lists match mine quite closely, except for the jeans (too modern for me, i guess). The sweaters I'm still debating, as they are bulky and don't compress well, but are very nice to have.
The problem I'm having, as Flat Foot said, is finding this stuff. The American/European-made requirement.. well, that might have been wishful thinking. Initially, I thought I might find clothes that were vintage quality (and aesthetic) though modern-make. Now, this doesn't really seem possible without spending serious money for big Italian names.
I've spent some time searching through sites like Sierra Trading, but for basic items (slacks/shirts) the best I've found seems to be Brooks Brothers, though they can be very expensive (especially for the nicer things)..
The fabrics used in their Black Fleece line looked fantastic; Italian wool, US/EU tailoring, and lots of wool flannels, plaid, checkered and flecked. Looked to be very 50s-60s inspired. Unfortunately, the patterns seemed to be a peg-legged 60s mod look across the line
Any other suggestions for US retailers?
Thanks for the help so far!
-fats
sorry, forgot to mention that I'll be in Europe. No set itinerary.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Can't you get some of this - pants, etc from thrift shops. $50 ought to get you a new wardrobe - unless you are of an unusual size. Tshirts - over here I get them from K-mart and they last for years and years. There's so much mystical BS written about t-shirts and quality. And as for made in china, that can be a great thing depending on the make. Carhart are now made in Asia too.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chasseur already mentioned a possible source. Also there are some brands in the thread about flannels. I can't tell where they were made or if they have a high rise. You have to find out this for yourself.

fats

New in Town
Seb,
As for white T's, K-mart and Target are probably the way to go. I checked out American Apparel yesterday (US made), and their T's were cut far too long to wear untucked.
There are many reasons why some avoid buying items from China, ranging from social concerns to economic to environmental, as well as concerns about product quality and/or safety.
FFF,
I'll keep going through the links, but as you said, there's not a lot of info.

I'll probably just end up grabbing a couple things and pick up more on the road..

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
To second Floey, Sierratrading post has a selection of flannel trousers at the moment, and these are made in Canada. Not sure on the size you need:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/riviera-worsted-wool-flannel-dress-pants-flat-front-for-men~p~3691a/?filterString=s~flannel-pants%2F&colorFamily=01

These Gitman Brothers button ups are made in the USA:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/gitman-brothers-cotton-check-dress-shirt-long-sleeve-for-tall-men~p~4357n/?filterString=s~dress-shirt%2F&colorFamily=01

They are generally good at telling you where the item is made in the product discription.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic