Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I looked up A

I looked up Algarve. Right at the beard of Hispania! Looks beautiful. Since you guys almost speak Spanish, I feel a kinship
Algarve is the south of Portugal.
Don't make the usual mistake, Portuguese language is not the same as Spanish language ;)
We understand better Spanish Language, than the Spanish understand us.
Spain have a much hotter climate than Portugal, with Sevilla being the worst place to be in summer.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
And I know that Brazilian Portuguese is different, but I still understand it well.
Algarve is the south of Portugal.
Don't make the usual mistake, Portuguese language is not the same as Spanish language ;)
We understand better Spanish Language, than the Spanish understand us.
Spain have a much hotter climate than Portugal, with Sevilla being the worst place to be in summer.

Last edited:
IMG_20230814_180357727_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Bailey of California - The Mystic Felt
Purple Grey - Super Lightweight Felt
4 3/8 Crown as Shaped - Unlined
2 3/4 Raw Edge Brim

Introducing The Mystic Felt by Bailey of California. A vintage Bailey of Hollywood/California felt has been on my wish list for some time after seeing one or two posted here on the lounge.. I believe in the fabulous collections of Bob and Eric. Bailey a brand owned by Bollman Hats still being marketed today, it is cool to see the type of quality they were able to produce in their hey day. I had been on the hunt for one for some time… a true vintage Bailey felt doesn’t seem to pop up every day. When I saw this fairly ragged old Bailey of California barely hanging on to what is left of its sweat and missing its ribbon in what appeared to be an amazingly unusual purple grey felt, I had to throw in an offer and see if this was one I could save.

Needless to say I am absolutely blown away with the color. I’d say it is not quite as dark grey/purple as the online photos… a shade lighter but still vibrant purple without looking gaudy. As with a lot of these felts.. the color can be a bit chameleonic and tad hard to capture. I’d say closest to reality would be the color in the on head shots. The felt is an incredible thin and lightweight felt similar to a Borsalino Featherweight. As it has no ribbon, I intend to experiment some to see what might work best with this unique color. For now I used this copper brown ribbon I had laying around and attached with double sided gorilla tape. I used the same tape to temporarily reattach the sweat band. Which by the way seems to be fairly in tact, malleable and not too cracked. May be able to use the original holes to sew it back on.

Interestingly the brand is currently known as Bailey of Hollywood. I Don’t see too too many examples labeled as Bailey of California. So not sure the history there other than Bailey hats was founded by George Bailey in 1922. My guess is this hat with its unreeded sweat would be at least 1940s vintage but hard to say with much certainty. The original price tag sticker on the back of the sweatband indicates it was sold at Nielsen’s of Fullerton, California for $5.00

IMG_20230814_175434826_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230814_180333943_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230814_180345971_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230814_180417768_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230814_180520916_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230814_180555233_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_4338.jpeg
IMG_4339.jpeg
IMG_4340.jpeg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 540083

2 3/4 Raw Edge Brim

Introducing The Mystic Felt by Bailey of California. A vintage Bailey of Hollywood/California felt has been on my wish list for some time after seeing one or two posted here on the lounge.. I believe in the fabulous collections of Bob and Eric. Bailey a brand owned by Bollman Hats still being marketed today, it is cool to see the type of quality they were able to produce in their hey day. I had been on the hunt for one for some time… a true vintage Bailey felt doesn’t seem to pop up every day. When I saw this fairly ragged old Bailey of California barely hanging on to what is left of its sweat and missing its ribbon in what appeared to be an amazingly unusual purple grey felt, I had to throw in an offer and see if this was one I could save.

Needless to say I am absolutely blown away with the color. I’d say it is not quite as dark grey/purple as the online photos… a shade lighter but still vibrant purple without looking gaudy. As with a lot of these felts.. the color can be a bit chameleonic and tad hard to capture. I’d say closest to reality would be the color in the on head shots. The felt is an incredible thin and lightweight felt similar to a Borsalino Featherweight. As it has no ribbon, I intend to experiment some to see what might work best with this unique color. For now I used this copper brown ribbon I had laying around and attached with double sided gorilla tape. I used the same tape to temporarily reattach the sweat band. Which by the way seems to be fairly in tact, malleable and not too cracked. May be able to use the original holes to sew it back on.

Interestingly the brand is currently known as Bailey of Hollywood. I Don’t see too too many examples labeled as Bailey of California. So not sure the history there other than Bailey hats was founded by George Bailey in 1922. My guess is this hat with its unreeded sweat would be at least 1940s vintage but hard to say with much certainty. The original price tag sticker on the back of the sweatband indicates it was sold at Nielsen’s of Fullerton, California for $5.00

View attachment 540084 View attachment 540085 View attachment 540086 View attachment 540087 View attachment 540088 View attachment 540089 View attachment 540090 View attachment 540091 View attachment 540092
HamanaHamana! Dang!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 540083

2 3/4 Raw Edge Brim

View attachment 540084 View attachment 540085 View attachment 540086 View attachment 540087 View attachment 540088 View attachment 540089 View attachment 540090 View attachment 540091 View attachment 540092
I believe that color would look way better on someone with a darker complexion, Joe. A half-Mexican, maybe

Last edited:

Timeras1

New in Town
View attachment 540083

2 3/4 Raw Edge Brim

Absolutely gorgeous Blare!! And you can't beat that price!

This one has had a bit of journey, but it has made it to my doorstep yesterday. I owe a big thank you to Steve @Steve1857 and his sister for making this possible. Full story in the British Hatmakers thread.
T&W Lees arminto style western hat in natural felt colour. Size 57 with the bound brim at 8,5cm and the open crown at 15cm. One for the Mancunian Cowboys this one.

lees western_01.jpg
lees western_02.jpg
lees western_03.jpg
lees western_04.jpg
lees western_05.jpg
lees western_06.jpg
lees western_08.jpg
lees western_09.jpg
lees western_10.jpg
lees western_12.jpg

This one has had a bit of journey, but it has made it to my doorstep yesterday. I owe a big thank you to Steve @Steve1857 and his sister for making this possible. Full story in the British Hatmakers thread.
T&W Lees arminto style western hat in natural felt colour. Size 57 with the bound brim at 8,5cm and the open crown at 15cm. One for the Mancunian Cowboys this one.

View attachment 540888 View attachment 540889 View attachment 540890 View attachment 540891 View attachment 540892 View attachment 540893 View attachment 540894 View attachment 540895 View attachment 540896 View attachment 540897
Wow that is fantastic, Stefan!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn