Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New A-1/37J1 Jacket from Pop's Leather

TPD166

One Too Many
I thought I would share my thoughts and experiences with my recently purchased Pop’s Leather A-1 jacket. A couple of caveats upfront – (1) I know that the jacket is not a historically correct replica of an A-1 (or 37J1) jacket, nor was it intended to be; and (2) I am under no illusion that I look good wearing a flight jacket – it is readily apparent to me that this fine jacket looks much better on the hanger than on me. But on both points, I am personally quite pleased with the jacket! That being said, about the jacket . . .

The Pop’s A-1 is available with a host of options and comes standard with a leather collar. I am a huge fan of the A-1 type jacket (and already have one), but did not want the leather collar; I also like the 37J1 jacket, but not a fan of the high pockets. So I asked Pop’s if they could add a 37J1 varsity collar with a snap (and bottom snaps instead of buttons) – not only could they do so, they reduced the price $20 for going with a knit collar. I was well aware of Pop’s great reputation, but was concerned with taking my own measurements, and they requested that some measurements and photos be redone. But they know what they’re doing. They offer a number of leather and color choices and I went with Antique Dark Brown Calfskin (color shown best in the collar photo). The jacket had been ordered on February 9 and it was in-hand on February 24 (three days after the shipping notification from Turkey).

As for the jacket, I was absolutely stunned by the quality and workmanship that went into its making. Not only did I get the jacket exactly as ordered, the fit is incredible. The leather is quite soft but has some weight to it, the knits are high quality, it has a one-piece back and one-piece sleeves, a “silky” liner like a G-1, hidden hand-warmer pockets, G-1 type map pocket, zippered interior pocket, and pen pockets. Going back the fit, the jacket fits like a shirt – when you move, it moves with you. When reaching there is no “pulling” as with my other flight jackets. This is hands-down the finest jacket I own and Pop’s will be getting more of my business.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You look good or better as any. Truly. Threads like these are living proof that there are great jackets at all price points. It all comes down to presentation-and you look badass.

TPD166

One Too Many
Thank you both for the kind words! The color is best shown in the close-up picture of the collar - much richer than I expected.

You look good or better as any. Truly. Threads like these are living proof that there are great jackets at all price points. It all comes down to presentation-and you look badass.
Very nice. Colour is very rich if it’s the same as the picture.

Stand By

One Too Many
Very nice TPD. It looks the part - and it's always good to see a happy customer - especially whereby not everything has to be high-end to make one happy. I think a lighter weight jacket like your A1 is the perfect choice for Texas too! Not too warm on the warmer days and just warm enough on the cooler evenings. As such, it'll get a lot of use!
Good one. Thanks for the review and posting!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, TPD. I don't think I'd ever heard of these guys, but that's a beautiful jacket and at a great price. Thanks for turning us on to the company! As I was checking out their products just now I couldn't help thinking of our man Edward's recent comments on another thread concerning lighter weight, less expensive jackets for traveling. These would really seem to fill the bill.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I hate this place ,,,,,just wen I thought I had finished buying jackets,iv emailed pop's regarding an A1 with two snaps instead of buttons at the bottom & in goatskin,,I need to get another Hobby,, grrrrr

TPD166

One Too Many
I promised myself this was going to be my last jacket - and I already have some new ideas for Pop's. I also lucked in a used kid-sized A-2 jacket in goat made by Pop's on ebay. No one bid against me and I got it cheap (under $25 shipped) - fits my son perfectly and is of the same quality as my jacket. Here's hoping he doesn't outgrow it too fast!

I hate this place ,,,,,just wen I thought I had finished buying jackets,iv emailed pop's regarding an A1 with two snaps instead of buttons at the bottom & in goatskin,,I need to get another Hobby,, grrrrr

Dirtbagdiver

New in Town
Lovely colour... will definitely be checking them out in the future... shouldn't be too hard on yourself either, Jacket looks great on you.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I never heard of them, but that jacket looks great on you! The leather looks great and even though it is not hietorically accurate, it looks like a solid functional product that will bring you years and years of wear.

TPD166

One Too Many
Thank you!

I never heard of them, but that jacket looks great on you! The leather looks great and even though it is not hietorically accurate, it looks like a solid functional product that will bring you years and years of wear.
Lovely colour... will definitely be checking them out in the future... shouldn't be too hard on yourself either, Jacket looks great on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo