Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Match the first ladies to their gowns!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Here's a fun quiz, match the first ladies to their inagural gowns:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/interactives/_lifestyles/first_lady_gowns/index.html?SITE=YAHOO&SECTION=HOME

It's worth taking the quiz, just to look at the gowns. I thought Jackie Kennedy's gown, Florence Harding's teens gown and Grace Coolidge's flapper gown to be especially striking.

I got 9, but not by recognizing the gowns. I guessed the timeframe of the gown by looking at it's style and matched it to the president that would have been in office at the time. I wasn't sure about all of the 19th century styles, they were my weak point. The federal period gowns and 20th century ones were my strong point.

Cricket

Practically Family
I only got five right. I need to catch up on my fashion history. Some gowns you could tell right off by the styles. There were a few surprises for me.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Cricket said:
I only got five right. I need to catch up on my fashion history. Some gowns you could tell right off by the styles. There were a few surprises for me.

A lot of the gowns I missed were not because I couldn't reconize the era the gown was made in, but because I couldn't remember who the president would have been at the time! lol

Was Laura Bush's gown ugly or what? Talk about dowdy.

I also thought the hand-painted insect pattern on Martha Washington's gown was lovely

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I think that I like Jackie Kennedy's dress best. I really think it's beautiful in its simplicity, like a goddess dress. And the creamy yellow color is so understated, yet so striking.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BeBopBaby said:
A lot of the gowns I missed were not because I couldn't reconize the era the gown was made in, but because I couldn't remember who the president would have been at the time! lol
Same!! lol I only got 6.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I got 9 correct as well (would have gotten 10 if not for a stupid mistake).* I think my favorite is Mrs. Taft's gown or possibly Mrs. Polk's.* I had no idea Mary Todd Lincoln was so tiny!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I thought I did pretty well with 8 out of 14. I can't believe that I blew it on Mrs. Roosevelt. :eusa_doh: But I did get Martha Washington and Mary Lincoln.:D

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
I got 9 correct as well (would have gotten 10 if not for a stupid mistake).* I think my favorite is Mrs. Taft's gown or possibly Mrs. Polk's.* I had no idea Mary Todd Lincoln was so tiny!

actually Mary Todd Lincoln was a rather large woman, the bodice has been rebuilt. I don't know if it's the same style as the original bodice, but her dress seems rather bland in comparison to all the others, in my opinion

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think it's interesting that a number of them had been remodeled subsequent to the inaugural ball. Made it slightly more confusing. I didn't even bother keeping score. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff