Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspiration LA 2023

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I had already seen this on you on Instagram and thought to myself, unbelievable, it fits like tailor-made.
Thanks! I couldn't believe how nice it fit when I tried it on and how comfortable it feels as well. I haven't ever owned a jacket that looks ao perfect, yet still feels so roomy. It feels big, but it doesn't look it at all.
This event seems like what dreams are made of for vintage leather jacket lovers. I could only ever wish for such an event here in Australia. Seems like pretty much every jacket for show there is a gem, and being all together in one spot. Even if the jackets are out of the budget, just being able to look at them up close is a treat!

I'm incredibly jealous of those who could attend, and thank you to @jeo especially for sharing the experience with us and spending your time giving us a write up on the event for those who could not attend, fantastic read! Congratulations on making it out with a grail level jacket as well!

@dudewuttheheck also coming out with an amazingly fitting jacket as well. Pretty much as good as it gets, love the collar shape on it. Any photos of the back?
Thanks! I will get some more detailed shots up soon, including the back.
Same here!
Thanks! I'm over the moon with it.
I love how @dudewuttheheck has evolved from "almost vintage style" to "vintage style" in jackets :)

You tend to gravitate towards what's best, the real thing. At least it works like that for me.
Haha yeah I've got two true vintage jackets now plus the old vanson which I think is "legally" vintage

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
A massive shout out to you @jeo For helping me find an absolutely perfect jacket for me. I've been looking for a nice 30s or 40s style mid-light brown horsehide jacket for a long time now. They never seem to pop up online. Even our illustrious finds and deals thread or classifieds rarely turn up anything like this, especially not in good condition. My beautiful 50s-60s cal from @JCSD Is basically perfect for me, but I wear brown more than black and I was really searching for the perfect brown counterpart.

That awesome Californian I recently bought should have fit the bill, but turned out to be way too big and has been sold to a fellow lounger.

I showed up to Inspiration not expecting to find anything and mostly hoping to hang with friends, but I was looking for two things: Vintage wool half belts and of course a mid-light brown leather sports jacket.

Overall, I didn't find much that fit my bill, with one absolutely massive exception.

As my wife and I walked in, we saw @jeo And within no more than 10 minutes, I had my grail jacket. That Sportclad that Jeo just mentioned was absolutely perfect for me. Beautiful condition, not crispy at all, and the liner and labels look almost new aside from some pilling on the liner. It fits like it was made for me and even the sleeves are short enough.

I'll post more photos with my good camera soon and get into the details more, but for now here's a couple shots of me in it. Also, I have to mention I feel like the price I paid for such an incredible jacket was extremely reasonable. Jeo noted thay Mike had priced all the jackets. Mine was actually marked down significantly from what was originally tagged so I feel even luckier.

Anyway, here it is after all that rambling. Not the best photos, but hopefully you can see why I'm raving about it so much. I'll post better photos in the future with my camera as previously stated. View attachment 506148 View attachment 506149 View attachment 506150
Love the jacket. The details are out of this world. Personally, I am a big fan of "symmetrical" cuffs. Cal used this principal and makes all the difference when using them. Your jacket looks like my Cresco. However, in my HH cresco the designer opted for a cuff at the wrist.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
A massive shout out to you @jeo For helping me find an absolutely perfect jacket for me. I've been looking for a nice 30s or 40s style mid-light brown horsehide jacket for a long time now. They never seem to pop up online. Even our illustrious finds and deals thread or classifieds rarely turn up anything like this, especially not in good condition. My beautiful 50s-60s cal from @JCSD Is basically perfect for me, but I wear brown more than black and I was really searching for the perfect brown counterpart.

That awesome Californian I recently bought should have fit the bill, but turned out to be way too big and has been sold to a fellow lounger.

I showed up to Inspiration not expecting to find anything and mostly hoping to hang with friends, but I was looking for two things: Vintage wool half belts and of course a mid-light brown leather sports jacket.

Overall, I didn't find much that fit my bill, with one absolutely massive exception.

As my wife and I walked in, we saw @jeo And within no more than 10 minutes, I had my grail jacket. That Sportclad that Jeo just mentioned was absolutely perfect for me. Beautiful condition, not crispy at all, and the liner and labels look almost new aside from some pilling on the liner. It fits like it was made for me and even the sleeves are short enough.

I'll post more photos with my good camera soon and get into the details more, but for now here's a couple shots of me in it. Also, I have to mention I feel like the price I paid for such an incredible jacket was extremely reasonable. Jeo noted thay Mike had priced all the jackets. Mine was actually marked down significantly from what was originally tagged so I feel even luckier.

Anyway, here it is after all that rambling. Not the best photos, but hopefully you can see why I'm raving about it so much. I'll post better photos in the future with my camera as previously stated. View attachment 506148 View attachment 506149 View attachment 506150
I’d have to say that looks “bespoke” … wait there’s already a thread about that. How about “f*c*ing perfect”!!!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Love the jacket. The details are out of this world. Personally, I am a big fan of "symmetrical" cuffs. Cal used this principal and makes all the difference when using them. Your jacket looks like my Cresco. However, in my HH cresco the designer opted for a cuff at the wrist.
I do love the cuffs. They're not something I see a lot of repro brands do, but its pretty cool.
If you are sub size 40” and under 6’, there is no reason to look outside the vintage realm. Everything you could possibly want is out there, just waiting to be worn. Congrats to both @jeo and @dudewuttheheck for scoring some true vintage gems! I won’t lie, I’m jealous!
Thanks! I'm definitely seeing how many great vintage options there are for me. I know I need a true vintage black cross zip someday.
I’d have to say that looks “bespoke” … wait there’s already a thread about that. How about “f*c*ing perfect”!!!
Haha thanks! I still can't believe how well it fits. Wearing it today as well.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I do love the cuffs. They're not something I see a lot of repro brands do, but its pretty cool.

Here is my cresco. The jacket features dual action sleeves (front and back similar to g-1 action back) Huge comfort improvement when riding. Mine is post war late 40's.
cresto dual action sleeves.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Terry, was that Rough In really on Ebay? If you have pics of the old listing, please send to me and I can confirm for you. That one had $1500 I believe. I only question that because Patty told me they never had an IG, do not have a website, and do not even have a store. She didn't mention anything about Ebay though so it's very possible that it was on there. But you're telling me it sold, and Patty still has the jacket...

Yes, it is the same jacket. Very few labeled RW jackets show up. I was a bit snobbish about the gathered sides instead of buckle adjustment so I passed. It was not being sold by these folks.

Makes sense it came from ebay. He was scanning ebay/etsy all day for jackets. I get it, I do it too.

One of the most frequent question I get on youtube:

Where do you find these? The Answer: ebay.

Anyone/everyone that is looking for vintage leather jackets is searching ebay. It is the largest Flea Market in the World. 90% of the jackets I buy are on ebay. Being retired I can scan all day.

Pat and Mike also live in one of the richest Vintage jacket areas; Washington State. I have purchased countless jackets from WA, right up there with California. Haven't thought about why, just the way it is. No doubt they comb the local area for jackets. I don't have that advantage. He also knew what he was doing and I assume willing to pay the price.

Jackets as they own and were displayed there are extremely hard to replace. Replacement value is What is all about. Once gone will you every see it again and at a price you can afford?

I am excited by the excitement!

jeo

One Too Many
Yes, it is the same jacket. Very few labeled RW jackets show up. I was a bit snobbish about the gathered sides instead of buckle adjustment so I passed. It was not being sold by these folks.

Makes sense it came from ebay. He was scanning ebay/etsy all day for jackets. I get it, I do it too.

One of the most frequent question I get on youtube:

Where do you find these? The Answer: ebay.

Anyone/everyone that is looking for vintage leather jackets is searching ebay. It is the largest Flea Market in the World. 90% of the jackets I buy are on ebay. Being retired I can scan all day.

Pat and Mike also live in one of the richest Vintage jacket areas; Washington State. I have purchased countless jackets from WA, right up there with California. Haven't thought about why, just the way it is. No doubt they comb the local area for jackets. I don't have that advantage. He also knew what he was doing and I assume willing to pay the price.

Jackets as they own and were displayed there are extremely hard to replace. Replacement value is What is all about. Once gone will you every see it again and at a price you can afford?

I am excited by the excitement!

Oh oh ok I thought you meant that either Mike or Patty put it up for sale on eBay.

You’re saying this was on eBay and that Mike bought it on eBay. Ok I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.

You now know the price. Do you mind sharing what the asking price was back when it was on eBay?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Oh oh ok I thought you meant that either Mike or Patty put it up for sale on eBay.

You’re saying this was on eBay and that Mike bought it on eBay. Ok I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.

You now know the price. Do you mind sharing what the asking price was back when it was on eBay?
It has been a few years. Less than $500 if I was considering it. Probably less.

The Beck is spectacular, as fine as you will find. Difficult to walk away from.

Reactions: jeo
Here is my cresco. The jacket features dual action sleeves (front and back similar to g-1 action back) Huge comfort improvement when riding. Mine is post war late 40's.
View attachment 506327
Cresco made some of the coolest stuff. I know it’s not your thing but this jacket….we need a fit pic. There’s a Cresco I’ve been “watching” on Etsy forever. It’s a two tone, longer style. Unlabeled but I’ve seen the same jacket with a Cresco label. Can’t quite push the bin. But I’m sure I’d be happy if I did.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The fully extended shoulder / sleeve gusset is very unique. Construction looks very good too. There was one on Etsy for around 500 if I remember correctly. Saved the photos once I saw the full gusset. No one else does this. Very interest back belt side cinch too. Wonder where these were made? California?

1681161163256.png

1681161188224.png

1681161207916.png

The fully extended shoulder / sleeve gusset is very unique. Construction looks very good too. There was one on Etsy for around 500 if I remember correctly. Saved the photos once I saw the full gusset. No one else does this. Very interest back belt side cinch too. Wonder where these were made? California?

View attachment 506367
View attachment 506368
View attachment 506369
Not sure where but the company went well into the 70’s before dying the same ignominious death that killed California sportswear….Pimp jackets and suede nightmares.

jeo

One Too Many
I would have been digging for this stuff. This is really a challenge to find
These finds are, in many ways, the most exciting.

View attachment 506460
I totally agree. This kind of stuff is usually rarer than the jackets themselves. I was pretty excited to have found some old marketing material from Leathertogs for sale in Japan. I posted it a while back. That gave me a ton of insight into the company.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 506367
View attachment 506368
View attachment 506369
Just like my jacket. Very difficult to describe the mobility of the jacket. You can feel the difference when moving the bike when the bike is stationary or parked. There is lots of work to get it done just right. Not cost-effective for any maker.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I totally agree. This kind of stuff is usually rarer than the jackets themselves. I was pretty excited to have found some old marketing material from Leathertogs for sale in Japan. I posted it a while back. That gave me a ton of insight into the company.
Point that to me. I'm not sure I saw that. I love the paper stuff, catalogs, etc. I had a good collection of Gibson guitar stuff, mostly gone now.

Stuff you could just throw away, got thrown away, survivors are rare.

I anticipate a more detailed look at your new/old Beck. The older Schott just doesn't come around for sale. Most interested in your comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff