Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Bros jacket, 1st winter update

Fear not. All will be resolved soon.
IMG_4407.gif

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Ah ok. I don’t remember exactly but I do remember the stitching was an issue. Can hardly blame a guy who paid $2650 or more for a “Top Tier” custom piece for not being happy with failed DUI stitching then. I mean, I gave most of my 5 Stars away for free. I couldn’t have cared less as the input matched the output. But in this case….
1681505315351.png

that was my issue. I wanted that green everywhere per the order, but he said they only use the green on the inside or some excuse, and the tan was the actual Olive Green color. Again, this is 5*, don't want people to get confused.

anyway, I already said the stitching on the HB jacket that started this thread is not good and factory second level which should get a discount at worst. Especially at this price point, no excuses. But the thread quickly turned into more than just a discussion about this jacket and its issue but an overall definitive HB is horrible and his customers don't know better to understand quality jackets.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I just imagine how much good will within this community Himel could earn off of this thread by simply stating that he stands 100% behind his products, regardless of whether a clearly lower quality product was noted immediately or months down the road. And that he will make the situation right by providing a remake.

Himel gains the benefit of having his reputation enhanced and would probably get additional business directly from this thread. It does not open the door to baseless complaints, but shows his confidence in the quality of his product.

The OP would gain what he thought he was paying the extra money to receive.

For all of the comments about how the OP should have raised this issue earlier….

I myself learned more about the stitching process through this thread than I knew before. Just this morning I looked at the stitching on my $1,500 Aero and my $600 Ralph Lauren. The stitching on both was impeccable.

I don’t think we should expect someone with less experience in buying high end jackets, such as myself and the OP, to have the level of knowledge that someone who has been down the road several times before. However, I do expect the manufacturer to treat us all equally and not shift blame to those who may not have known the standards the manufacturer is known to aspire to.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m not attacking Damon. I’m just saying I can understand why a vendor would think the product was fully satisfactory once it’s been some time after the sale. That doesn’t excuse the poor QC.

I am also not saying that anyone who buys a Himel jacket is in a cult. I’m saying that when someone has dropped $3k on a jacket based on endorsements here, he’s likely to very understandably assume it’s flawless, and the reinforcement of social media adds to this.

MrProper

I don’t think we should expect someone with less experience in buying high end jackets, such as myself and the OP, to have the level of knowledge that someone who has been down the road several times before.
I think we can all agree that this seam sucks.
But to determine that, I don't have to be an expert in leather jackets.
So if I liked the jacket 5 months ago, just as it is, and only saw the seams as imperfections, why don't I like the jacket anymore just because I read a little here on the forum?
Anyway, I wish Damon success, of course, and I'm curious to see what happens next.

View attachment 507868

that was my issue. I wanted that green everywhere per the order, but he said they only use the green on the inside or some excuse, and the tan was the actual Olive Green color. Again, this is 5*, don't want people to get confused.

anyway, I already said the stitching on the HB jacket that started this thread is not good and factory second level which should get a discount at worst. Especially at this price point, no excuses. But the thread quickly turned into more than just a discussion about this jacket and its issue but an overall definitive HB is horrible and his customers don't know better to understand quality jackets.
But did you buy the hat:p ? I don’t think the thread is an attack on Himel or his fans. It’s definitely an attack on a $2650 jacket that features novice/training level stitching sold as “Top Tier”. And yes it’s an attack on the idea of a $14 (bespoke LOL!) hat sold for $175. IMO that’s fair game. I know Himel Bros. can and has produced fine jackets and the members here that have them certainly do know what is good and what is not.

I also know that posting other makers flaws or vintage jackets with similar flaws does absolutely nothing to resolve, and means absolutely nothing to, Damon’s jacket…and that’s all we’ve heard so far and it’s beyond cringe.

Batoidea

One of the Regulars
I don't mean to butt in here, especially as a newcomer, but I think it would be best if everyone stopped posting in this thread altogether... We all want the best outcome for the OP and it's clear that no one here has the intention of adding fuel the fire but any further posts in this thread won't do anything at all to help this particular situation. Tensions are high so it's best to let things calm down so this can be resolved as amicably as possible.

Best of luck Damon - I hope you can keep trying to reach out to him privately and that he eventually responds in kind. Also sorry if this post is out of line...

I don't mean to butt in here, especially as a newcomer, but I think it would be best if everyone stopped posting in this thread altogether... We all want the best outcome for the OP and it's clear that no one here has the intention of adding fuel the fire but any further posts in this thread won't do anything at all to help this particular situation. Tensions are high so it's best to let things calm down so this can be resolved as amicably as possible.

Best of luck Damon - I hope you can keep trying to reach out to him privately and that he eventually responds in kind. Also sorry if this post is out of line...
While I agree with you in that continuing to post here really doesn’t move Damon any closer to what he should get….I actually think it’s been a civil thread. I don’t see anybody hurling insults at each other, unless I missed something. But you are absolutely right….Damon hasn’t gained any yards based on the collective posts.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Look, you pinned him in a corner now and it's mostly fight and flight response with a dash of freeze, and a lot of coliseum cheers to keep this going past the bell rings. If this continues there be no winners.

Fact is, all the stitching flaws are sloppy back locking stitches. Instead of going slower to lock the thread in, they were mostly rushed. The rest of the machine job does look decent, from a skilled machinist. But it looked like he/she took less time to make your jacket than usual. There is no issue with structural, just very sloppy and rushed machining job.

The worst part is the excuse for this mistake, trying to dig himself out of the hole by using the "vintages were made like this" excuse. While it is true a lot of vintage jackets has shitty stitchings, there are also just as many vintage jackets that has excellent machining jobs.

The excuses comes from the basic human reaction to fear. If he admits his mistakes, then he has to give you a remake or refund. Worse, what if others with similar experience comes forward it could have devastating financial impact to his business. On the other hand, now that this is out in the public, it is already damaging his brand. So either way he gets fucked, sooner or later.

If I guess correctly, all Damon wants is a remake or a refund right? And all Himel wants is to protect his brand and minimize his potential financial losses right? This thread will get neither of you what you truly want. Take this fight privately, there is no ticket sales from this public show. If and when private communication don't get you what you want, then crucify him in public as retaliation. Going Defcon 5 on his ass now seems a little too soon. The main objective is to get a remake or refund with a dash of sincere apology. Pushing him into the corners too soon will get you non of these. This is also the truth. As much as I am enjoying the free show, I also want you to get your money/jacket and an apology from him.

I generally agree, but specifically regarding Himel they demonstrated in the past that you will not get a prompt remake/refund, with heaven forbid an apology with any amount of sincerity without public discourse or significant personal patience/hassle.

Moreover, if I were the OP I'd want a refund, because in the last thread with the custom HB, the remake was better, but not to the standard that HB markets.

If I bought a HB and had an issue, I'd probably post a negative review here first since I pretty much know at this point I will be wasting a ton of time trying to get a hold of them and trying to make it right.

Peacoat

Bartender

This is excellent advice. Anytime I see a new Himel thread, I cringe because I know what will happen at some point during the life of the thread.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
$2650 jacket. Unacceptable. I don't see what there is to debate here, Himel needs to make it right, I don't see why we need to bow at the temple of Himel so that OP gets resolution. Or why we should be encouraging Himel's behavior. This is not the first time.

If I were a maker, I'd be embarassed, especially if I was the one making up arbitrary quality standards like stitches per inch, and on that alone I'd go out of my way to make it right.

$2650 jacket. Unacceptable. I don't see what there is to debate here, Himel needs to make it right, I don't see why we need to bow at the temple of Himel so that OP gets resolution. Or why we should be encouraging Himel's behavior. This is not the first time.

If I were a maker, I'd be embarassed, especially if I was the one making up arbitrary quality standards like stitches per inch, and on that alone I'd go out of my way to make it right.
IMG_4414.gif

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Instead he is insulting his customers, who fork over big bucks to him, on Instagram, saying that they "don't get it". The nerve.

jonbuilder

Sadly, I am led to believe that he will not correct the problem, I spoke to Dave through email, and he responded that he would only communicate with me through my chosen complaint platform, the Fedoralounge, I explain to him that I come here for information and advice, and I wish him to respond on the platform in which I ordered, email

And with his post saying that he's going to make one final comment on the Fedoralounge, I can only assume that he does not wish to make this right and thinks the stitching on that jacket is acceptable for his brand name

I'm honestly I'm sure what to do at this point, it took a lot for me to come forward with this because I was frankly embarrassed that I paid so much for a jacket with these kind of flaws, I really didn't know how to handle it
Why did you not take your concerns straight to Himel through the platform which you ordered and wait for Dave's final response prior to airing your issues on a public forum? Now that you called Dave out here on TFL I can understand he feels boxed in and his desire to respond on the platform you aired your complaint

Aloysius

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
A lot of these flaws were on display in the first review. No one said a word…

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/himel-kensington-review-first-custom.109119/
Would you have pointed them out?

If someone is clearly over the moon with their brand new jacket, who are we to rain on their parade? Unless the OP specifically asks for feedback I'll (try to) keep my mouth shut. And truth be told it's an exceptionally great looking jacket, from afar.

Also, the pics in the first review didn't show the severity of the issue at all. Yes it showed some sloppy stitching on the chest pocket but if that was all it would have been acceptable as the rest of the jacket looked neat (judging by the pics that were provided).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff