Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hats in the heat : with or without liner ?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, some liners are beautiful, but if its purpose is to protect the hat from sweat, hair goo, or what have you, I feel it's better to stain a liner than the hat itself.

Perhaps another choice is to buy some extra generic liners to use in hot weather.

As for straw vs felt in hot weather, I find that straws with an open-enough weave to keep me cool also result in my follically challenged head getting sunburned. Therefore, I wear a high-crowned, lined, felt hat in the sun and heat, preferring its look, as well as the protection it offers my face and head.

I find the greatest difference in comfort in such conditions comes from whether or not the liner is plastic-lined at the top.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
What did men do back in the day during the summer? I can imagine people in places like Alabama, New Orleans, DC and other hot and muggy places figured out ways to cope just as well as the Panama Canal builders. I now want to look at older pictures taken in the summer to see what the men are wearing. Maybe they just put style before comfort in the same way women walk on stiletto heels no matter how uncomfortable, lol.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
CS,
They already had the liner removed from their felt hat and, kept an eye out for a semi-calado hat in woven straw/leaf. That's what they currently do, at least.

So it seems that the OP's actual issue has to do with liners in low humidity and not high heat per se. Maybe the thread title should be changed to reflect that.

Huertecilla

Banned
Maybe they just put style before comfort in the same way women walk on stiletto heels no matter how uncomfortable, lol.

Like over here where woman are of a special sub species that can walk up/down cobbled steep inclined streets without being supported by their self centered companions.

Ditto on the beach here where especially the most thus prone from the northern countries risc (and suffer) heat stroke, burns, skin cancer and eye damage for a tan.
Ah, but they use a sun block cream! Like that does not make it all léss logical still....

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Like over here where woman are of a special sub species that can walk up/down cobbled steep inclined streets without being supported by their self centered companions.

Ditto on the beach here where especially the most thus prone from the northern countries risc (and suffer) heat stroke, burns, skin cancer and eye damage for a tan.
Ah, but they use a sun block cream! Like that does not make it all léss logical still....

Those cobblestone streets...my knees hurt just thinking about it. Never saw the appeal of laying out in the hot sun considering how strong it is and as you correctly state here, it accelerates the aging process as well as ups the cancer risk. This is why I could never have a job working outside.

fedoracentric

Banned
What did men do back in the day during the summer? I can imagine people in places like Alabama, New Orleans, DC and other hot and muggy places figured out ways to cope just as well as the Panama Canal builders. I now want to look at older pictures taken in the summer to see what the men are wearing. Maybe they just put style before comfort in the same way women walk on stiletto heels no matter how uncomfortable, lol.

It is also important to note that back then a man would do whatever he wanted with his hat at any given time. Take a liner out? Throw it away? No problem, there are a dozen hat stores where a man could get that replaced cheaply. Beat your hat up and throw it away? So what? There are a dozen places to replace it. Remember hats back then were utility, a piece of clothing they used day in and day out. Hats were everywhere and easily purchased.

But most of all, they did not look on a fedora as a "collectors item" that they wanted to keep in pristine shape like many of us do. We do that because the good hats are NOT easily replaced and we don't want to casually take liners in and out and the like. We have a different mind set because OUR vintage hats are in a finite supply and we think of them in very different terms.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
It is also important to note that back then a man would do whatever he wanted with his hat at any given time. Take a liner out? Throw it away? No problem, there are a dozen hat stores where a man could get that replaced cheaply. Beat your hat up and throw it away? So what? There are a dozen places to replace it. Remember hats back then were utility, a piece of clothing they used day in and day out. Hats were everywhere and easily purchased.

But most of all, they did not look on a fedora as a "collectors item" that they wanted to keep in pristine shape like many of us do. We do that because the good hats are NOT easily replaced and we don't want to casually take liners in and out and the like. We have a different mind set because OUR vintage hats are in a finite supply and we think of them in very different terms.

Excellent point!

Definitely some hats were pampered but not as collector pieces. At the higher end they were a sizable investment.

Edward

Bartender
My big gripe is that these days white is the standard colour for a liner. As a baldy, white discolours and looks grubby faster than anything else. It's the only thing I've ever faulted on any of my Akubras: a black liner would just be perfect. Have one in a Miller, and it still looks like new seven years later.

fedoracentric

Banned
Definitely some hats were pampered but not as collector pieces. At the higher end they were a sizable investment.

Agreed. But these were the odd hat out, if you will. Most hats, in fact the bulk of hats, were not treated as that special by owners, at least not to the point where they were put away and rarely worn. I agree that many 7X or 100s hats we have today are still around because the original owner felt they were "too nice to wear." But few hats fit that category.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars

There are a few pictures that have been posted around FL over the last week or two that show people in big cities around 1900 or so, and there is a sea of straw boaters everywhere. I haven't felt a draw to boaters, but with the unseasonably hot and dry weather we're getting here in Oregon, I pulled out my Panama (unlined) and wore it today.

Incidentally, I use Brylcreem, Groom & Clean, and American Crew Pomade, depending on the needs of the day, and out of them, Brylcreem is my favorite. A very little dab does do ya. My hair gets dry and somewhat frizzy (if you can call straight hair frizzy), and a light touch of Bryl tames it nicely. Plus I love the smell! Essentially, Brylcreem is lanolin, so it's a natural oil. Just don't overuse it like they did way back when pasted down shiny helmets were in and you may be pleasantly surprised. Brylcreem is the only one out of the ones I can find locally that doesn't need you to wet your hands first, too. Just my two cents...

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Oops! I'd forgotten who the original poster was.

Looking back to the first post of the thread, I see that the original poster was asking if removing the liner makes a comfort difference in the heat. Where I'm located, it does. My first off-the-shelf felt hat, an Akubra Sydney, came with a liner that's easy to temporarily remove - fastened to the reed in just a few places, with soft glue. I removed it but can easily put it back in if I want. The one custom hat I have, I chose to have what's referred to as a "tipper", a small patch of satin, glued to the part of the crown most likely to touch the top of the head.

Last edited:

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I have a lot of experience with two summer hats:

1. A (probably quite bad) $99 Magill straw hat with no liner.

2. An Optimo Hat Company lightweight felt hat with a liner.

On days when I would sweat profusely in my Optimo hat, I would sweat equally as profusely in my Magill hat.

The differences between lightweight felt vs.straw and/or liner vs. no liner have no effect whatsoever on how hot my head gets, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I have a lot of experience with two summer hats:

1. A (probably quite bad) $99 Magill straw hat with no liner.

2. An Optimo Hat Company lightweight felt hat with a liner.

On days when I would sweat profusely in my Optimo hat, I would sweat equally as profusely in my Magill hat.

The differences between lightweight felt vs.straw and/or liner vs. no liner have no effect whatsoever on how hot my head gets, as far as I can tell.

My experiences are very different - comparing lightweight felts contra montechristi/cuenca Panamas or Milans.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The only way to compare a lined and unlined hat is to compare identical hats, one with a liner, and one without, thus eliminating all variables. Different model hats, and even more so, hats of different materials, make the use or non-use of a liner, make comparisons null and void.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
Probably the best way to approach it is to go with what works for you. If you try something and find it doesn't work, try something different.[huh]

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I think for my straw hats it's probably better for me to wear liners inside of them for two purposes:

1) to prevent sweat stains from reach the straw and

2) to prevent UV light from penetrating through the straw and onto my head. Maybe for people with hair that is not such a big deal, but for me I have a head that is shaved bald with no hair, so it seems like the UV light penetrating through the straw, with no liner underneath, would be very bad for my head.

What do you think about these two matters?

Do you agree with my analysis that it's a good idea to wear a liner in my straw hats for these reasons?

I realize the liners will make my hats hotter, but it still seems to be worth it if my reasons are good ones.

Edward

Bartender
Tightness of the weave might also be a factor. Where it would make more difference to me is avoiding any discomfort from the crown where it might hit my head. I tend not to be out all day in the sun, though: when the hot weather comes round, I try to stay indoors whenever possible.

I think for my straw hats it's probably better for me to wear liners inside of them for two purposes:

1) to prevent sweat stains from reach the straw and

2) to prevent UV light from penetrating through the straw and onto my head. Maybe for people with hair that is not such a big deal, but for me I have a head that is shaved bald with no hair, so it seems like the UV light penetrating through the straw, with no liner underneath, would be very bad for my head.

What do you think about these two matters?

Do you agree with my analysis that it's a good idea to wear a liner in my straw hats for these reasons?

I realize the liners will make my hats hotter, but it still seems to be worth it if my reasons are good ones.
Ask the hatter if he offers linen liners. Linen would be a much cooler option than the standard polyester lining. I offer it in my summer weight felt hats.

Also, I have two expensive custom Panamas and they have a small tip patch in the crown to protect the top of the crown where it may come into contact with my head. It works well. It is a patch about 2-3" square....there is no side liner.....so the hat is virtually unlined yet protected. Ask your hatter for this option rather than the full liner. I have a large bald patch on the top of my head and I have yet to get a sunburn on that bare skin through the straw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS