Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Their westerns are a relative bargain at $230. I wonder why they don’t offer their western felt in Silverbelly, sand, or any of the other standard light colors?
The cynic in me thinks the new $200 price is not necessarily factory driven but it comes just under the Purebeaver price at $230. Where the hell else does one buy a beaver felt????

I have not asked why the light colours are only in the 50/50....it is strange.

LorenWho

New in Town
I consider myself most fortunate as I secured many thousands of yards of vintage grosgrain from retiring hatters when I first began this journey. Finding good vintage is becoming harder and harder and more expensive by the week. Have you tried Guy Morse Brown out of the UK. They carry a selection of widths and basic colours. It is not vintage but the last time I looked it was cotton/rayon not the poly crap. Also, @purebeaverhatsupply had posted they had a source for good US grosgrain and were planning to stock.
The wider widths are even harder to source.
Hi Belfastboy,

In the very short amount of time I have taken an interest in making hats, I too have noticed the availability dwindling.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get interested early enough.

If I remember correctly, Morse Brown only goes up to 38mm.

I’m hoping demand is such that Morse or another ribbon maker will step up.

Thanks for the response.

-L

Hi Belfastboy,

In the very short amount of time I have taken an interest in making hats, I too have noticed the availability dwindling.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get interested early enough.

If I remember correctly, Morse Brown only goes up to 38mm.

I’m hoping demand is such that Morse or another ribbon maker will step up.

Thanks for the response.

-L
Agnoulita (ETSY.com) also stocks ribbon but I don't even know if it is poly or cotton/rayon. If I need a colour that I don't have my go to is FiniRibbon (ETSY) but you have to pick through predominantly Petersham. Or on Ebay, TimeLessTrims. Also VintageTrims (ETSY) . I tried LalleHandMade (ETSY) out of Italy but their ribbon, while cotton/rayon is more like strapping...too thick/coarse and it doesn't fold or drape well at all.

Agnoulita (ETSY.com) also stocks ribbon but I don't even know if it is poly or cotton/rayon. If I need a colour that I don't have my go to is FiniRibbon (ETSY) but you have to pick through predominantly Petersham. Or on Ebay, TimeLessTrims. Also VintageTrims (ETSY) . I tried LalleHandMade (ETSY) out of Italy but their ribbon, while cotton/rayon is more like strapping...too thick/coarse and it doesn't fold or drape well at all.

I recall @ChicagoWayVito saying Hufvud found a modern source of good ribbon and was willing to be a middle man but no share the source. By the way, has anyone heard from Kevin @ChicagoWayVito recently?

He was going to stay in touch in case we were able to put together a consortium to buy FEPSA direct. Winchester cut him off so he had to look for other sources.

He has a Winchester in Sahara that he sourced and a Sunrise nutria (forgot the color) that I sent him. It must be close to, or even over, a year. I’m not concerned about the hats, but he’s a great guy and I hope all is well. He also has some serious hat making skills and a huge investment in hat making tools…Optimo should be nervous if he starts hat making full time.

He has a Winchester in Sahara that he sourced and a Sunrise nutria (forgot the color) that I sent him. It must be close to, or even over, a year. I’m not concerned about the hats, but he’s a great guy and I hope all is well. He also has some serious hat making skills and a huge investment in hat making tools…Optimo should be nervous if he starts hat making full time.
Yes, I was thinking of ordering one from him once he got settled. He live(d) just south of me and we talked about me dropping down for a coffee but it never quite worked out.

LorenWho

New in Town
Hi Belfastboy,

Once again, thank you!

I’ll go through their ribbons to see if they have anything close enough to what I am looking for.

Cheers,

-L

Hi Belfastboy,

Once again, thank you!

I’ll go through their ribbons to see if they have anything close enough to what I am looking for.

Cheers,

-L
One final thought; GuyMorseBrown are great to deal with. They may be willing to bring in ribbon to meet your needs. Likely their source makes 2" ribbon and if you were to buy full rolls they may be willing. I think they buy it from Tonak or at least it is the same as the ribbon Tonak uses on their hats.

LorenWho

New in Town
One final thought; GuyMorseBrown are great to deal with. They may be willing to bring in ribbon to meet your needs. Likely their source makes 2" ribbon and if you were to buy full rolls they may be willing. I think they buy it from Tonak or at least it is the same as the ribbon Tonak uses on their hats.
Hi Belfastboy,

Can’t hurt to reach out and see what he says.

Thanks again.

Take care,

-L

LorenWho

New in Town
Hat block question…

I understand the purpose of the center hole on the underside of a hat block. However, I don’t understand the purpose for the deep circular trough.

Is it to make the block lighter? Maker it easier hold onto? Is there equipment that needs to be attached to the underside that needs the resess?

Thanks,

-Loren

Hat block question…

I understand the purpose of the center hole on the underside of a hat block. However, I don’t understand the purpose for the deep circular trough.

Is it to make the block lighter? Maker it easier hold onto? Is there equipment that needs to be attached to the underside that needs the resess?

Thanks,

-Loren
I have blocks with the void and with just the one or two holes for the block stand. I have never thought twice about....if I don't need it or use I don't think about it. It does make it easier to hold on to though.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There may have been some archaic reason a certain type of blocking machine needed the recessed part, or it might just be how some manufacturers made blocks. Either way, as far as I can tell, makes no functional difference to the contemporary hobbyist/small scale hatter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace