Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good deal on a Demob suit

Well, who knows the actual era? Single picture, no real details on show, but external buttons with no sign of a watch pocket in the trousers would, for me, put this in the 1930s. 34 chest, my ass. I'll bet this is bigger. Note to FLoungers: How NOT to list a suit on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-STRIPE-1940s-DEMOB-SUIT-32in-WAIST-/400529263665?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Wz3DLIUtF%252FxQsSt73cXrshNrZ%252FY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
$(KGrHqZ,!qwFG7I4FHeHBR4(zhzsHw~~60_57.JPG

The external suspender buttons put it in our era, say before 1960 or so. A 40s suit (certainly a CC41 suit) would be much more likely to have that massive flapped watch pocket, which is much less frequent on 30s trousers. I guess if it is a true demob suit, the ones I've had never had a watch pocket, so it could be one of those.

Didn't we do a straw poll/hunt through our trousers once and found that 30s trousers were much less likely to have the watch pocket?

The external suspender buttons put it in our era, say before 1960 or so. A 40s suit (certainly a CC41 suit) would be much more likely to have that massive flapped watch pocket, which is much less frequent on 30s trousers. I guess if it is a true demob suit, the ones I've had never had a watch pocket, so it could be one of those.

Didn't we do a straw poll/hunt through our trousers once and found that 30s trousers were much less likely to have the watch pocket?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That discussion on British trouser styles started on page 5 of the british suits thread. This was HBK's results:

i've just done a count on the 1930s-1940s Brit trousers and the results are surprising:

with flapped watch pocket: 3

without watch pocket at all: 11

with flap-less watch pocket: 0

those with the flap are all the same width and shape, as shown on the previous page. never the narrower, squarer European version.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
My pleasure: I always like to see debate about various details of suits etc. We need as much debate as possible on the FL. It's a great way to learn about things if your not actually handling loads of old suits.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Demob suit? Wasn't that a cheaply made suit issued to British soldiers on leaving the army after WW2? Demob short for demobilisation?

I thought they were a distinctive style of suit made for a short period of time like 1945 - 46. I understood they were usually only worn for a short period of time until the ex soldier could buy something better.

Or is the term being used in a different way here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland