Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
David Ward said:
I'm taking it as a given that wearing motorcycle boots when you don't ride a motorcycle is a bit of a no-no.

I don't think it's anymore taboo than wearing cowboy boots if you're not a cowboy. I don't think I've ever actually seen any of my friends who ride bikes even where engineer boots as a matter of fact.

DerMann

Practically Family
David Ward said:
I'm taking it as a given that wearing motorcycle boots when you don't ride a motorcycle is a bit of a no-no.

Is it wrong to wear oxfords outside the limits of Oxfordshire? Is it an illicit practice to wear Panama hats outside of Panama (well, Ecuador)? Would you also be against the use of balmoral boots outside the bounds of the Balmoral estate in Scotland?

Engineer and Rally style boots are not excessively showy, and most people won't recognise them under trousers.

David Ward

Familiar Face
Creeping Past said:
Your logic rules out all workwear and purpose-made clothing for most people.

That's just plain silly.
OK, try wandering round in a top that says 'Firefighter', and see how happy actual firemen are when they find out that you're doing it 'just for the look'. Likewise, I'm guessing *apropos of nothing*, that wearing cycle gear when you don't have a bike could be a little bit dicey.
This, is why I ask!

hipster

New in Town
Red Wings

I've been riding bikes for years (94 springer harley purchased new). Those boots have been all over, sturgis, cant remember how many runs.

These boots shine up great, made in the usa, steel toe and big rounded toe.

There awesome.

Good luck

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I only read the first page of post and skipped so pardon me if these have been mentioned.

I am quite fond of carolina engineer boots, they have a classic look and feel and are on sale at the site where I buy my boots :)

The only complaints I had were that they took the maximum estimated time to arrive and they have no steel toe. I only like them for the look however and the lack of steel toe wasn't too bothersome.

Here is the site if anyone is interested:
http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_engineer-011.php

Creeping Past

One Too Many
try wandering round in a top that says 'Firefighter'

Discussion about what it is and isn't appropriate to wear crops up all the time here.

My view is that people wear what they like when they like. That's part of finding out what their style is. If others have objections, that's for them to deal with and not bother others about.

I should think firefighters have better things to do that monitor people's T-shirt choices. Ditto bikers with boots. (Although personally I'd steer clear of wearing specific tribal 'colours', for obvious reasons.)

South

One of the Regulars
Are these boots still in style in the US? I've had a hard time trying to locate a pair of Red Wing 2990 black Engineer boots and thought they must not sell much. I think Chippewa also makes some.

What about "harness" boots? When I was a kid, "Dingo" boots were popular, but Chippewa and Frye makes some. Are they in style at all?

Has anyone here seen the Chippewa "Rally" Boots? Are they comfortable?

Some examples:

Red Wing 2990 Engineer Boots:
http://www.rwleatherboots.com/leather-boots/2990-lifestyle-us/2990-red-wing-lifestyle-mens-engineer-black

Chippewa Engineer Boots:
t_14380.jpg

Frye Harness Boots:
244200914315966517200810545946987350Blkmulti.jpg

Chippewa Rally Boots:
27862.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Engineer boots speak volumes to me. As a teen in the early 1950's, everyone in my crowd wore them with Levis with the cuffs turned up. Classic.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Engineer boots are a classic, and a personal favorite of mine. They are plenty stylish in my opinion, and I tend to get lots of compliments whenever I wear mine. I suppose that is not a good judgement of whether they are "in style", but it at least is a good gauge of public reaction to them.

Chippewas are good boots, but heavy. Frye also makes a decent pair, as well as Carolina and Double H. All these are great boots for the money.

If you are willing to spend the money, semi custom companies like Wesco, Nick's Boots, and Whites (which includes the Hathorn brand) make excellent boots that fit into the $275 - $425 range. These are pricey, but will be a big upgrade over the standard brands like Chippewa, etc.

Wesco in particular makes some very nice engineer boots.

Check out some of the companies above - nearly all of them have websites.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
They are still around.

South,

I have two pair of the Engineer Boots, one pair I bought from a cycle shop near my home, the second pair which is still in the box I bought from RED WING. Most of the time I wear dress loafers to the office. SEE where I'm going with this... slip on boots and slip on shoes.lol

However I did learn to tie my shoes but I just like boots, I also have hiking boots and Cowboy boots. and pennie loafers.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Bought a pair of Frye Harness boots a couple of years ago and my feet spend most of the winter in them (except when I have to dress for work). They keep my feet warm and dry no matter how much snow, slush or rain and they look better every time I wear them.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
South said:
Are these boots still in style in the US? I've had a hard time trying to locate a pair of Red Wing 2990 black Engineer boots and thought they must not sell much. I think Chippewa also makes some.

What about "harness" boots? When I was a kid, "Dingo" boots were popular, but Chippewa and Frye makes some. Are they in style at all?

Has anyone here seen the Chippewa "Rally" Boots? Are they comfortable?

Some examples:

Red Wing 2990 Engineer Boots:
http://www.rwleatherboots.com/leather-boots/2990-lifestyle-us/2990-red-wing-lifestyle-mens-engineer-black

Chippewa Engineer Boots:
t_14380.jpg

Frye Harness Boots:
244200914315966517200810545946987350Blkmulti.jpg

Chippewa Rally Boots:
27862.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.

I own a pair of Sendra engineer-boots.. they're not as kick ass as these RedWings:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Wing-2268-ALL-SIZES-AVAILABLE_W0QQitemZ320426255962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Clothing_Menswear_MensShoes_GL?hash=item4a9ae4a65a
RW02268CCMYNA_538592_large_6294.jpg

rgraham

A-List Customer
I own a pair of the Chippewah Rally boots you have pictured. I have been using them riding my motorcycle for about five years now. They are comfortable, as they are lined on the inside and insulated. The photo also shows the extra patches of leather on top of the toe for protect from the shift lever. The one thing I don't like, and I really don't like, is the velcro straps. The whole top flap is velcro, and is ok. The two straps are always coming away from the boot. If they were made with actual buckles, then these boots would be awesome.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Does anyone know how the sizes are on the redwing engineer boot?

$170 on that ebay-link is about half price for me yay :eusa_clap

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Does anyone know how the sizes are on the redwing engineer boot?

$170 on that ebay-link is about half price for me yay :eusa_clap

If the sizing is like all other red-wings, they run a bit big, so you may want to size down half a size.. Yes, these redwings are awesome especially at that price.. i would have ordered them if I hadn't spent all my money on other cool stuff and I own engineerboots so, there's no real need.. I saw them in brown also, very cool.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I wear a pair of brown Frye harness boots all the time, I can't say if they're really in style or not, I don't see many people other than motorcyclists wearing them. I tried a pair of the Chippewas on a couple years ago. They're very stiff. I decided against them when the sales girl said everyone who bought them soon returned them, so I can't say.

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo