Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay fit woes

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Does anyone else buy dresses off of eBay to only find that they don't fit quite properly, or look kinda wonky on?

I've just been on such a losing streak recently with the past few dresses I bought on eBay.

Any tips, suggestions? I do all of the measurements...

Kimberly

Practically Family
It is one of the biggest reasons why I don't like to buy from eBay. I am getting desperate for dresses though and am taking my chances.

What I recommend is taking a dress that fits you well and measuring that. It may work better than taking your own measurements. I also recommend measuring the shoulder to waist and other things that makes it fit well and then emailing the potential seller and asking them what those measurements are if they have not done so already.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Ooh! Preaching to the choir! Three items I have purchased recently haven't fit! :rage:

1. The waist measurement was waaaay off (4 inches is a huge difference).

2. Couldn't zip it up despite the measurements.

3. Too big despite the measurements.

I don't have any advice for you Dottie but what I'm doing is being very selective about what I'm watching. I'm making certain they are items which match my measurements exactly which is a shame because I've had to turn down some cute items that "might" have fit. We're not doing "might" fit anymore. Period. The end.

Viviene

Vendor
I don't know about other sellers but the measurements I provide are:

bust
waist
hips
shoulders side to side
sleeve shoulder to hem
shoulder to waist
waist to hem
Shoulder to hem

Side zippers make for a more fitted midriff.

Also check the sleeve style because kimono sleeves give you more play in the bust area.

Always measure something that you have that fits you well and is in the same style as what you are looking at.

If the dress measurements are the same as yours it's not going to fit. Leave 2 inches for comfort especially if you're buying a wiggle dress.

I'm a plus size. I bought a dress that has a 50 inch bust measurement, 44 inch waist and 56 inch hips. My body measurements are smaller than this by a couple inches in each place and the dress fits perfectly. I re-measured the dress and the measurements are dead on. This is a new with tags deadstock dress.

I'm working on a 60s crocheted wedding dress. It has no zippers or buttons and just goes over your head. Whomever buys this is going to have to be tiny because it barely goes on my size 4 mannequin. And no zipper and no buttons or openings of any kind will make it hard to get on. So I'll of course talk about this very specifically to avoid disappointment for the buyer and myself.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Several times when my purchase arrives the measurements are not what the seller stated. It recently happened with a fabulous frock, the bust measurement was four inches smaller that stated :rage: I try to buy bigger than I need and hopefully that way it fits or I can take it in.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I just got the cutest embroidered black wiggle dress-- I bought it because it was too cute, even though I have the worst luck with finding a wiggle that fits well. The hip measurement is one inch smaller than my actual measurements, but the hips of the dress are still too big on me! [huh]

I was almost too puzzled to be angry.... I kept measuring the dress and myself over and over again... I'm still thoroughly confuddled!!! Must be something in the way it's cut... oh well! Guess I'll just have to eat a few more cookies to fill it out nicely.lol

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
Several times when my purchase arrives the measurements are not what the seller stated.

i had this happen with two pairs of AMAZING deadstock wedges. i even contacted the seller to find out exactly how she was measuring the shoes, and i measured similar wedges i owned myself! they were about two sizes too big when i got them! and then we had a big drama over the phone and she refused to refund me the money. they sat around for a year or so, and then i traded them in at remix for a pair of the repro wedges. the trade value was right around what i paid for them... but geez, what a pain!

i think other than that though, my ebay size luck has been pretty good.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This happens to me all the time, actually -- mostly because I have measurements that don't really fit the standard ready-to-wear sizes. The most important thing for me to know is *seam allowance* -- I take it for granted that I'm going to have to alter things, and I need to know that there's room enough to do that.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
This happens to me all the time, actually -- mostly because I have measurements that don't really fit the standard ready-to-wear sizes. The most important thing for me to know is *seam allowance* -- I take it for granted that I'm going to have to alter things, and I need to know that there's room enough to do that.

Yeah, I am oddly proportioned, too. That cute 60's dress I ordered doesn't fit right. Partly my fault, it was the first dress I ever ordered, and I forgot to check the shoulder measurements. I can barely move my arms and there is no seam allowance. I also forgot that since I am 6' I have long arms. The sleeves are very short and tight in strange places.

I look very thin, but I have large measurements because I am tall. I have a 32" waist, which is a bit on the larger size, but if my waist were much smaller I would look sickly. 38-32-42 is odd. Ah well. Its why I am trying to learn to sew :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
When I have trouble with fit, it is usually because the item is too short-waisted--sometimes the measurements give this away, and sometimes they don't (and sometimes a garment can be worn despite being a little short, if paired with the right belt, so I sometimes take a chance on dresses that are too cute to pass up.) I also have trouble buying pants online, as I have rather long legs (and arms too, so I am used to sleeves being a little too short most of the time, sigh.) And though I don’t consider my arms to be big, 1930s-40s dresses and blouses tend to have very small sleeves and are tight on me. Luckily, most garments have at least a small seam allowance, and this issue is easily remedied.

Fabric is another thing to take into consideration; certain materials, like crepe, have a nice stretch/give to them and will accommodate a wearer who is slightly larger than the measurements. Other fabrics, like taffeta and velvet, have minimal give and so I select more generously proportioned items accordingly (they are also more difficult to get into when dealing with a side zip, so even if they would fit just fine once on, I still might not be able to pull the dress over my shoulders/ribcage.)

Shoes are another area where it is difficult to be exact. The measurements might be perfectly correct and match those of shoes that I wear quite comfortably, but certain shoes still don’t work for me. I often find that when the vamp is cut higher, I will have trouble, as I have a high instep, so I try to avoid these styles.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
When I have trouble with fit, it is usually because the item is too short-waisted--sometimes the measurements give this away, and sometimes they don't (and sometimes a garment can be worn despite being a little short, if paired with the right belt, so I sometimes take a chance on dresses that are too cute to pass up.) I also have trouble buying pants online, as I have rather long legs (and arms too, so I am used to sleeves being a little too short most of the time, sigh.) And though I don’t consider my arms to be big, 1930s-40s dresses and blouses tend to have very small sleeves and are tight on me. Luckily, most garments have at least a small seam allowance, and this issue is easily remedied.

Fabric is another thing to take into consideration; certain materials, like crepe, have a nice stretch/give to them and will accommodate a wearer who is slightly larger than the measurements. Other fabrics, like taffeta and velvet, have minimal give and so I select more generously proportioned items accordingly (they are also more difficult to get into when dealing with a side zip, so even if they would fit just fine once on, I still might not be able to pull the dress over my shoulders/ribcage.)

Shoes are another area where it is difficult to be exact. The measurements might be perfectly correct and match those of shoes that I wear quite comfortably, but certain shoes still don’t work for me. I often find that when the vamp is cut higher, I will have trouble, as I have a high instep, so I try to avoid these styles.

I feel all of your pain, well except for the long arm/long leg problem. I'm the exact opposite. When "Austin Powers" was popular certain friends who's names shall not be mentioned (hemingway jones, achem:))
used to call me Mini Me:( But, Jitterbugdoll, I have the perfect remedy for both of us: We should both buy the exact same pants and tops, and I will give you the fabric I have to cut from the legs and arms and you can use it to lengthen your pants and shirt sleeves! Brilliant I think:D! What I wouldn't do to have a few more inches on my legs. I saw a show where a girl in China (I think) actually had the bones in her legs broken and moved and once she was all healed about a year later she was 2 inches taller!! This sounds painful, but sometimes we have to endure great pain to achieve great beauty!!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
I don't have any advice for you Dottie but what I'm doing is being very selective about what I'm watching. I'm making certain they are items which match my measurements exactly which is a shame because I've had to turn down some cute items that "might" have fit. We're not doing "might" fit anymore. Period. The end.

Pink Dahlia--it's so true--I just can't buy clothes that "might" fit anymore. I will say this tho'. I have started looking at some of the tinier fifties dresses with gathered skirts with a lovely pattern. And I'm -gasp- taking it apart to make a nifty skirt for myself. So naughty I know, but I think of it as resourceful!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I feel all of your pain, well except for the long arm/long leg problem. I'm the exact opposite. When "Austin Powers" was popular certain friends who's names shall not be mentioned (hemingway jones, achem:))
used to call me Mini Me:( But, Jitterbugdoll, I have the perfect remedy for both of us: We should both buy the exact same pants and tops, and I will give you the fabric I have to cut from the legs and arms and you can use it to lengthen your pants and shirt sleeves! Brilliant I think:D! What I wouldn't do to have a few more inches on my legs. I saw a show where a girl in China (I think) actually had the bones in her legs broken and moved and once she was all healed about a year later she was 2 inches taller!! This sounds painful, but sometimes we have to endure great pain to achieve great beauty!!

And while we're at it, perhaps you can share some of your bust with me as well. I always say that my sisters stole those genes. lol

I thought of another point that has been mentioned in other threads--foundation garments. They really can make a lot of difference in fit, even with garments that already fit you.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
It's true--foundation garments do make a huge difference. I just wish the vintage ones would have minimizers in it. Sigh! I'm too chesty for my own good sometimes!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie said:
It's true--foundation garments do make a huge difference. I just wish the vintage ones would have minimizers in it. Sigh! I'm too chesty for my own good sometimes!

No fair! I have the opposite problem, garments look empty when I wear them! I put my measurements into a bra size calculator recently, and it told me that if my measurements were accurate, I was so small I actually didn't need a bra :eek: :mad: :( :p A different site told me I was a 36AA! How, then, do 36B bras fit me? I should get profesionally measured sometime, I am totally confused now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn