Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doubts about authenticity of Real McCoy's Buco J100.

Torvic

Familiar Face
Looks good on you. Congrats.
And yes RMC after sales customer service isn't great. But that's just how it is especially their oversea partners. There isn't much in it for them to spend the time on a jacket that they didn't profit from. I can understand that.
There are different RMC J100s. There are color leather ones, steerhides, dyed through black horsehides. But I am quite certain if your jacket is the BJ9110 its the brown tone underneath. And the top coat is quite good and it won't fade fast. There are fast fading versions too but I don't think yours is, those would still have the old long model numbers.
I understand, if I receive a response from them, I will also post it in this thread, Tom from Rmc has always been very kind to me. This is the deep black 031 model, I did not want the teacore model, I prefer black to look black, as Marc indicates, the leather strips on the zippers underneath have a grayish color, and in the wear areas you can also see that tone gray, I'm working now and I don't have the jacket on hand, tomorrow I'll upload some photos of this. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, always learning by reading what you share guys!

Torvic

Familiar Face
Today I received the response from The Real McCoy's team:

Hello Victor,

Thank you very much for your patience whilst we looked into this for you.

On inspection of the images and information you've kindly shared with us, we do believe this to be an authentic The Real McCoy's Buco J-100 jacket that would have been made between 2009 - 2010.

Due to the jackets age and different storage conditions that it may have been kept in over the years, the smell is something that just may not be as noticeable anymore. We do hope that you continue to enjoy wearing this regardless and you feel assured of it's authenticity.

Thank you for your kind words on the forum. I have not forgotten your interest in a re-stock of our D.Black J-100 and will contact you if there is any news on this. If there is anything else we can help with in the meantime please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind Regards,
Tom
Customer Service Team
therealmccoys.com

As always, great attention from Tom, apparently this model is 14 or 15 years old since its production and is practically new, I am happy with the acquisition and have been able to resolve all the doubts with your help and that of the McCoy's team.
Thank you!

Now it's time to start giving shape to this beauty. :)

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Today I received the response from The Real McCoy's team:

Hello Victor,

Thank you very much for your patience whilst we looked into this for you.

On inspection of the images and information you've kindly shared with us, we do believe this to be an authentic The Real McCoy's Buco J-100 jacket that would have been made between 2009 - 2010.

Due to the jackets age and different storage conditions that it may have been kept in over the years, the smell is something that just may not be as noticeable anymore. We do hope that you continue to enjoy wearing this regardless and you feel assured of it's authenticity.

Thank you for your kind words on the forum. I have not forgotten your interest in a re-stock of our D.Black J-100 and will contact you if there is any news on this. If there is anything else we can help with in the meantime please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind Regards,
Tom
Customer Service Team
therealmccoys.com

As always, great attention from Tom, apparently this model is 14 or 15 years old since its production and is practically new, I am happy with the acquisition and have been able to resolve all the doubts with your help and that of the McCoy's team.
Thank you!

Now it's time to start giving shape to this beauty. :)
Love the responsiveness of the RMC team.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
Hey bro, glad you got the confirmation. It may not smell brand new, but certainly looks that way.

Enjoy wearing it. Best looking jacket so far.

Torvic

Familiar Face
Hey bro, glad you got the confirmation. It may not smell brand new, but certainly looks that way.

Enjoy wearing it. Best looking jacket so far.
Thank you very much friend, it is in very good condition, it can be seen that the previous owner used it very little.
How is the running in of the ELMC J100 going? I'll post photos of mine in the corresponding thread soon!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Spray this on your jacket. Not sure it'll smell like Shinki though.

1715179613040.png

Torvic

Familiar Face
I feel sympathetically embarrassed reading the CS explanation that a 15 year old jacket might not smell like it’s freshly tanned.
Neither I nor Tom knew that the jacket was 15 years old until he asked his partners in Japan. He was also unaware of the smell issue until yesterday, something that other colleagues on the forum have kindly explained. The goal of this thread was to be able to verify the authenticity of the jacket at the end.
I have only been in this Hobby for a very short time and there are many things that I don't know, therefore I can ask questions that to expert eyes may be somewhat absurd, but I don't feel ashamed about it nor do I think it should be that way, since no one is born taught.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
Thank you very much friend, it is in very good condition, it can be seen that the previous owner used it very little.
How is the running in of the ELMC J100 going? I'll post photos of mine in the corresponding thread soon!
Still enjoying it buddy. Still wearing it around with it when weather permits (these days it goes to 20C+ which is when it gets too warm for me personally)… gonna be looking forward to Autumn/Fall when I don’t have to worry if it gets too warm lol

Torvic

Familiar Face
Still enjoying it buddy. Still wearing it around with it when weather permits (these days it goes to 20C+ which is when it gets too warm for me personally)… gonna be looking forward to Autumn/Fall when I don’t have to worry if it gets too warm lol
I understand you, here in Mallorca, Spain we are at 23º and the temperature is increasing by the day haha, at night it can be used but soon not even that! Enjoy it in health.

Bennarion

One Too Many
Neither I nor Tom knew that the jacket was 15 years old until he asked his partners in Japan. He was also unaware of the smell issue until yesterday, something that other colleagues on the forum have kindly explained. The goal of this thread was to be able to verify the authenticity of the jacket at the end.
I have only been in this Hobby for a very short time and there are many things that I don't know, therefore I can ask questions that to expert eyes may be somewhat absurd, but I don't feel ashamed about it nor do I think it should be that way, since no one is born taught.
You don't have to worry about that. I think everyone here, including me, when we started our journey with a leather jacket, paid attention to some nuances. We all learned to walk )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff