Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a nickname?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I thought I would add to the name thread by creating a thread devoted entirely to nicknames.

You see, my nephew has recently taken to calling me "Antique", in place of his usual "Auntie Mandy". Of course, he is only four years old and has no clue what "antique" means, but it still made me laugh because it was so appropriate, given my love of all things vintage (alas, it also makes me feel kind of old. At least he’s not calling me “relic�! :rolleyes: )

So, does anyone else have an amusing nickname?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Bob

It's a dimunitive of Robert. My middle name is Lee. I'm a junior. My father was named after Robert E. Lee. I was called Cowboy while I was in the Marine Corps. 'Cause I wore a western hat and boots.

decodoll

Practically Family
My dad is the only one that still calls me this, but mine is ferfer. I used to call myself that before I could pronounce Jennifer. :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
You can probably guess mine

What I'm called here has been my nickname for more than half my life.
Some customers even call me Wolf.
I've also been called Professor and Chief in my time.

A rose by any name,
The Wolf

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Nickname ay? hmmm, I have several. You all know me by my nome de gare of Matt Deckard. I have been called "the Rabbi" on the Swing dance scene, as I always am with a hat, though I am not Jewish. I have a few friends who gave me the hip hop style monicker "Knowledge". I have also been reffered to as the most eligable bachelor in the swing dance scene.

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
I usually get straitforward diminutives, like "Meg" or "Meggie". Mum used to call me Emmeline, after the A.A. Milne poem "Emmeline Whose Hands Weren't Clean". So I get called Em by my family, occasionally EmJay for my initials.

Members of a club I'm in refer to me as "The Draconian VP". :cool2: I'm innocent, really...

Funnily enough perfect strangers often address me as "Miss", "Ma'am", or "Milady". :p

fifi

Familiar Face
That's funny, I knew a girl who's given name was Emjay (seriously). My nickname given by my daddie is Fifi. To make a long story short, my parents named me Jennifer when I was born but never called me that. It just didn't fit. When I was 14 months I went to a birthday party where 4 out of 11 girls were named Jennifer; my mom immediately changed my name to Whitney. Fifi still stuck. My poor sister, however, was born with the beautiful name Cameron, but as a 4-year-old smart aleck I called her Cowie when she was brought home from the hospital. Poor thing is still stuck with people giving her cows as gifts...

elsewhere

Familiar Face
Hmmm nicknames. I've not been around much (or for long!) but trying to remedy that... so I'll play!

The only one that's stuck is still only used at the bar I used to tend (I still sometimes fill in there) where everyone calls me Lulu or Lulubelle. This was because all the regular decided they couldn't remember my name on my first day and kept coming up with all these names starting with "L". Lisa, Laura, Liezelle (we have several German regulars!!), laurel, etc, etc.
Not sure why the L names as my given is Kristine and they very well knew that. Anyway... Lulu came up the most and it's been with me ever since. I kinda miss it now that I don't work there very often.

Outside of that there are many online friends who call me simply "Elsewhere" (after my online store name) or "Miss Elsie", derived from the same.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
People called me "Ren" in college because I had (or have) a temper and reminded people of the angry dog on Ren And Stimpy.

Then folks started calling me "Ren" since it's short for "Renderking."

I was also called "Fist" because a Special Ed student couldn't say "Fisk."

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, some names date far back and only lasted awhile.

My aunt and uncle called me Toots when I was a baby. Unfortunately, they moved away when I was five and, for the rest of their lives, called me that. I hated the name.

The one that I had in college, based on my last name, was "Lightnin'. Also because I was so swift (joke). I liked that nickname.

A dear friend called me Kidil, pronouncing my initials, KDL. Another friend shortened it even more and called me K.

My favorite was from a sweet little boy who was MR; he could not pronounce my first name and so called me "Ludlow."

If I have nicknames now, I don't know what they are and they are not said to my face.

karol

swinggal

One Too Many
My dad used to called me 'Mickey' when I was a kid. He still calls me 'Mick' now, but he can, no one else.

People from Australia do actaully call me 'Swinggal' because it has been my name on the Aussie Swing forum for 6 years. I don't mind.

'Cooge' is another nickname I have, because I used to do the 'spoon on the nose trick' years ago, and a friend called me 'Cooge Koala'. It sorta stuck.

Also, heaps of people just call me Chelle.

D

Deleted member 259

Just about everyone calls me Cat, (short for Caitlin) And my close friends call me Kitten.
My bestfriend calls me by my last name, Gill, because when we were younger, he would trick his mom into letting me spend the night at his house, she thought Gill was a guy's name.

Oh, and I still get called Spot by the cast and crew I did <u>Newsies</u> with in highschool, not that I see them very often.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have to admit that part of my online moniker has stuck as well.After meeting some online friends face to face they couldn't bring themselves to call me by my actual name,which is Brittany.
They thought it sounded too modern compared to Ruby.I have to admit I'm beginning to get used to Ruby.

Rosie

One Too Many
Dragging up an old thread

My daddy called me CornyGal (never knew why, never asked he just did.)

My mom calls me Hannah (a twist on Ella Fitzgerald's Hard Heart Hannah) because she said I never listened as a little kid. Sometimes when I'm being stubborn, she'll do the whole "Hard Headed Hannah from Savannah" routine. It's quite funny.

My godfather calls me Judy because he says my parents named me "some kooka-nanny name" he couldn't pronounce.

My brother calls me Boo because he would always scare me as a kid by popping out of somewhere screaming, "Boo". That scared me.... Everytime. (I was a bright kid though, just easily scared.)

My cousin calls me BabyCakes because I have a rather round and noticeable derriere.

Finally, my nieces call me Teta because, they couldn't pronounce my name as kids and it just stuck.

No, my name isn't that hard to pronounce. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive never had a nickname :(

Look at all the awkward and often embarrassing memories that they are usually associated with that Im missing out on.

Darnit.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Awkward and embarassing memories -- oh my...

In junior high, a boy I really really really didn't like insisted on calling me "Mouse," or "Mousie," and to my horror it caught on with other kids. I finally managed to shake the name, but it still has unpleasant associations. In fact, that whole time of my life was one long awkward and embarassing memory.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Once when I was bored I wrote down all the nicknames I ever had and it was 40 names!!! The most recent ones are Sari (est. 1998) and by my Mom Goldmakrele (means Goldmakarel in English). lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff