Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheers To The Baseball Cap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Can't we all just get along?

After all, meat-heads can be found wearing every style of head covering. :D
hats%20of%20meat%20baseball%20cap%20beef%20pork%20yarmulke-thumb-430x247.jpg

Hats of Meat.com/
3b.jpg
1b.jpg
zzz-fedorajpg.jpg
tremendous.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Batman and Robin avert a riot

Holy curveball, Batman!
Did someone just try a fast one?
What say we pitch in and help avert an FL split?
It doesn't look like either side is going to knuckle under.
Unless we steal a beat, there may be a bench-clearing brawl.
Let's force their hand and swat those blues away.
I say strike while the iron is hot and avert a foul situation.
Mabel, make sure the baby is safely wrapped in her bunting.
We'll slide out of here after the seventh inning.
Stretch can lead the way past the dugout and pickoff any interlopers.
Once past the bullpen, we'll nonchantly walk off.
Homer, you'll be the designated driver.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
flylot74 said:
Why do you answer a question with another question?

But, to answer your question (or at least, what I infer as to your question) simply because I can, it's a free country. But please, inform me. What manner of dress do you call an adult male wearing baseball or truckers cap, t-shirt, jeans and running shoes at social functions, while dining, shopping, or going to a movie, etc.? Semi-formal? Business attire? Perhaps I don't understand what you are eluding to.

Because I can. It's a free country.

No, not really. I would not try to evade a question by giving a glib response that actually answers nothing.

I asked because I was curious as to your answer. You obviously have a different idea of what "casual" is/should be, and you obviously hold an idea of "casual" that differs from yours in contempt to the point it upsets you enough to rant about it. I actually was not alluding to anything. I just simply wanted to know why it was that you felt it necessary that everyone should adhere to an idea of "casual" dress of which you approved.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
carter said:
Holy curveball, Batman!
Did someone just try a fast one?
What say we pitch in and help avert an FL split?
It doesn't look like either side is going to knuckle under.
Unless we steal a beat, there may be a bench-clearing brawl.
Let's force their hand and swat those blues away.
I say strike while the iron is hot and avert a foul situation.
Mabel, make sure the baby is safely wrapped in her bunting.
We'll slide out of here after the seventh inning.
Stretch can lead the way past the dugout and pickoff any interlopers.
Once past the bullpen, we'll nonchantly walk off.
Homer, you'll be the designated driver.

No worries, I think. People get worked up when discussing differing viewpoints, but such things tend to be heated moments rather than lasting grudges. Besides a little heated discussion is sometimes fun. Would it not be boring if we just took turns posting the words to "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" and never disagreed?

flylot74

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
Average. Normal. Modest. Thrifty. Relaxed. Comfortable. Modern. Acceptable. Casual.

Yes, exactly, you deem it casual! I accept that. I am obviously not making myself clear here. I just don't understand the why. Perhaps it's cultural or an age related thing (I'm 59). I don't understand the why.

I don't find jeans comfortable (cotton is cold in the winter and the heavy cotton is hot in the summer). I guess it is average and acceptable, everyone wears them. Normal, I dunno (define normal)..... I personally don't care for the look, unless your playing ball with your son or digging the garden or working on your car.

But getting back to baseball caps. The military has some caps that are worn with distinction (I have two I have worn that I honor and will never part with, but it's a personal thing, not to be worn in public), and are collected by those liking military memorabilia. I totally understand that as well as going to a ball game and wearing one for support of the local team. I understand it as part of a uniform for say motorsports where the wearing of a sponsor's cap means millions in endorsement payments. And I understand collecting them. I get all that.

I just don't get the Beaver Cleaver costume, I really don't. But then, I don't get women (and some men) who are obviously overweight and haven't seen a gymnasium since high school who wear "designer" jogging suits and sport shoes. Perhaps, the older I get, the less I seem to understand......

.... pay no attention to me, just put me in the corner and let me drool all over myself......

MattJH

One Too Many
trailrunner said:
Besides a little heated discussion is sometimes fun.

Absolutely! Sometimes I get tired of seeing everybody being so polite all the time, I'll admit it. The opposite doesn't have to be abrasive, but why not challenge a little bit? Get our fingers clicking. Type out of passion and inspiration.

Feraud

Bartender
Dumbjaw said:
All of the looking-down-upon fashion elitism around here rubs me the wrong way.

Panamabob said:
:eusa_clap

I've often found it odd that some of the same people who publicly write about backhanded compliments about their hats/suits/shoes put down the choices of others.

Ironic, isn't it? :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hey, guys, it was just a little baseball-related humor not a comment on either side of the question. [huh]

I own a lot of baseball (and other) caps. Really...I do.

just_me

Practically Family
carter said:
Hey, guys, it was just a little baseball-related humor not a comment on either side of the question. [huh]

I own a lot of baseball (and other) caps. Really...I do.

Not to worry. I thought it was great.
:eusa_clap

kiltie

Practically Family
I cracked up when I read this, because my original post responded to several possible come-backs, including yours, but vBulletin ate it, and in rewriting it as a quickie I rationalized that the members would appreciate a bit of brevity for a change.

Your point is what I call the "delicious kamaboko" argument. In Japan there's this hideous food made out of ground up and creamed whitefish, molded into a gelatinous log, called kamaboko. It really sucks. But Japanese will always tell you, No, kamaboko is delicious, this just isn't a good example. When pressed, they tell you that the delicious stuff can be had if you "go up north." If you're in Hokkaido when this conversation occurs, the delicious stuff is "down in Kyushu." So it's an infinite circle, the end of the rainbow. Somewhere in Never-Never Land, there is delicious kamaboko.

There may be baseball caps that don't have sizing bands in the back, elastic bands, or plastic zip connectors, and which have brims that are not pressed paper or plastic, but here's the thing: Go sit in the food court of the local mall with a clipboard for eight hours and tote up how many of these you see compared to "good caps," and get back to us.

Indeed...
In the south ( US ), we simply call a reply like this "crawfishing".;)

Perhaps it's cultural or an age related thing (I'm 59). I don't understand the why.

Combat Marine, Fire Department Captain, father of two firemen, married 34 years, my dad, ( gasp ), jeans and tennis shoe wearer ( and ball caps, too ), 60 yrs old in May.

lol :p :eusa_clap :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: ;) :) :D :eek:

^^^^^^^^^
Look, emoticons! - it's all in good fun....

carter

I'll Lock Up
I ordered these two from Ebbests Field Flannels this morning. $18.00 each on sale.

1914 Brooklyn Tip-Tops

bkl14c.jpg

1939 NY Knights - from The Natural
nyk39c.jpg

flylot74

One of the Regulars
trailrunner said:
I asked because I was curious as to your answer. You obviously have a different idea of what "casual" is/should be, and you obviously hold an idea of "casual" that differs from yours in contempt to the point it upsets you enough to rant about it. I actually was not alluding to anything. I just simply wanted to know why it was that you felt it necessary that everyone should adhere to an idea of "casual" dress of which you approved.

Uh, well the rant was not as severe as you read into it. At my age, I no longer get upset, I just get amused.... :) And truth be known, I don't expect anyone to adhere to my standards, they are my standards, not theirs. Heck, I sometimes can't even live up to my own standards!

As far as my definition of casual, it is totally dependent on the activity at the time: going out to dinner casual versus, garden party casual or mowing the lawn or moving a friend out of an apartment, or going to a ball game and cheering the home team casual. I dress for the occasion. My problem is for those that don't. They have one costume: Beaver Cleaver.

I just am amused by the adult male who though a white collar professional will wear jeans, t-shirt, tennis shoes, and a truckers cap (on backwards I might add) dining with his well dressed wife and child probably thinking to himself "Boy, am I so cool, hep, modern, stylish". Forget the fact that I was taught it was very rude to wear any hat to the dinner table. Sorry, I just don't get it.....

kiltie

Practically Family
I went straight to that site as soon as I saw the link. Thanks, carter. My brother will LOVE those. Dang that one at the top ( the military team cap ) being out of stock - very cool.

Anybody else got any "genuine" old time caps? The ones posted earlier ( sorry, I forgot to check out your handle ) were fantastic. The shorter bills tend to look a bit goofy to me, but not in the case of yours. Must be seeing them on a real person in the real world. Anyway, great caps!

carter

I'll Lock Up
kiltie said:
I went straight to that site as soon as I saw the link. Thanks, carter. My brother will LOVE those. Dang that one at the top ( the military team cap ) being out of stock - very cool.

Anybody else got any "genuine" old time caps? The ones posted earlier ( sorry, I forgot to check out your handle ) were fantastic. The shorter bills tend to look a bit goofy to me, but not in the case of yours. Must be seeing them on a real person in the real world. Anyway, great caps!
I don't have any really, really old baseball caps but I do have a Washington Senators cap, a Staunton Braves (farm team) cap, and an All-Star Game cap from the 1998 game played at Coors Field in Denver.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
flylot74 said:
Uh, well the rant was not as severe as you read into it. At my age, I no longer get upset, I just get amused.... :) And truth be known, I don't expect anyone to adhere to my standards, they are my standards, not theirs. Heck, I sometimes can't even live up to my own standards!

As far as my definition of casual, it is totally dependent on the activity at the time: going out to dinner casual versus, garden party casual or mowing the lawn or moving a friend out of an apartment, or going to a ball game and cheering the home team casual. I dress for the occasion. My problem is for those that don't. They have one costume: Beaver Cleaver.

I just am amused by the adult male who though a white collar professional will wear jeans, t-shirt, tennis shoes, and a truckers cap (on backwards I might add) dining with his well dressed wife and child probably thinking to himself "Boy, am I so cool, hep, modern, stylish". Forget the fact that I was taught it was very rude to wear any hat to the dinner table. Sorry, I just don't get it.....

Amused is always the better way to go.

I think the topic of why people dress they way the do is a very interesting one. I would love to get into that and see what people here think. It is off topic to the base ball cap theme here though, so maybe we can kick off a thread concerning that another time.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I don't wear baseball caps anymore, but only because I like other types of head covering better. I have a fedora or two, a newsboy cap, a bowler, a jester hat (with bells on), and even a medieval style hood that I find far more interesting and would much sooner wear in public than a basecap.

I don't think it's right to rant about wearers of baseball type caps as idolizers of gang members and criminals, especially when the styles worn by Fedora Lounge members are seen in the popular imagination as the uniform of gangsters and mobsters of the early 20th century. A person needn't want to be or look like a criminal in order to wear a baseball cap, even in the flat-brimmed, crooked way so many here object to. To me, the baggy t-shirt with sagging jeans and crooked baseball cap look says "hip-hop music lover" much more loudly and clearly than it says "gang member" or "criminal". In the same way that wearing a fedora doesn't make one a mobster, wearing a baseball cap with the tags still on does not make one any type of criminal. Even if the baggy clothes look did originate in criminal circles, even if wearing such clothing used to signify gang membership, it simply doesn't mean that anymore.

I am aware that in this community any call to "get with the times" may fall on ears that are beyond deaf, but I think we should at least be aware of current trends, even if we don't follow them.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
On many message boards the OP would be considered a troll.

Just sayin'. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes